Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Bob Roll La Vuelta (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1237562)

houdanolo 08-28-21 09:40 AM

Bob Roll La Vuelta

Is anybody as tired of Bob Roll and his (back on terms) redundancy as I am?

Bah Humbug 08-28-21 10:11 AM

People hate sportscasters. Film at 11.

shelbyfv 08-28-21 10:21 AM

https://www.bikeforums.net/professional-cycling-fans/

cb400bill 08-28-21 10:35 AM

Thread moved from Road to Pro Cycling for Fans.

GlennR 08-28-21 12:23 PM

After 8 years, this is what made you finally start a post?

colombo357 08-28-21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by houdanolo (Post 22204544)

Nope, just you.

one4smoke 08-28-21 02:18 PM

I like Bob's commentating...

Hiro11 08-28-21 07:01 PM

Love Bobke.

jolathe 08-28-21 07:02 PM

I’m with Bob in his appreciation of Jay Vine’s grit today.

Flip Flop Rider 08-28-21 08:08 PM

gotta say love Bob and his "back on terms" and "skillful riding"

MinnMan 08-28-21 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 22204792)
After 8 years, this is what made you finally start a post?

Considering how this thread has gone, it might be another 8 years till the next.

jleeg 08-28-21 09:23 PM

Maybe you could be more specific about what irritates you, then I may come to dislike him too. For now, I am enjoying this affable man. He and Christian make my viewing a good experience.

slcbob 08-29-21 03:47 AM

With no Phil at the Vuelta and no Paul, RIP, can we even say "that has put the cat amongst the pigeons"?

cyclezen 08-29-21 10:29 AM

I like guys who present the/their heart and soul of bike racing. Bobke has always had that. A Maynard Hershon for racing...
Paul had that, and made the living with Phil a little more liveable...
Christian brings that and now is much more appreciated as he slows down, is able to think through and becomes more understandable and less frenetic.
I'm hoping that Chris H rounds his sharp edges and harshness a bit, because I'd like to 'like' him. But maybe that's what he's selling right now... Harsh critic
Bobke and Christian seem to compliment each other well.
I like the Eurosport guys also...
Phil has become appreciably more snarky to the other commentators in his old age...
ride on...
Yuri

Snotrub 08-30-21 06:48 AM

Where is Bobke commenting on La Vuelta? I'm watching on Peacock and GCN and I haven't heard anything from him.

dbf73 08-30-21 07:10 AM

He and Christian are doing Vuelta broadcast on the Olympic channel

Snotrub 08-30-21 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by dbf73 (Post 22206957)

I just don't understand NBC. Why wouldn't they just put Bob and Christian on their Peacock broadcast? Instead they have Hannah and the other guy (I can't remember his name) that I'm sure they are having to pay for right along side Bob and Christian. NBC sucks.

Iride01 08-30-21 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Snotrub (Post 22206918)
Where is Bobke commenting on La Vuelta? I'm watching on Peacock and GCN and I haven't heard anything from him.

Originally Posted by dbf73 (Post 22206957)

Originally Posted by Snotrub (Post 22207061)
I just don't understand NBC. Why wouldn't they just put Bob and Christian on their Peacock broadcast? Instead they have Hannah and the other guy (I can't remember his name) that I'm sure they are having to pay for right along side Bob and Christian. NBC sucks.

That's one of the things I liked about NBC Gold with the cycling pass. They provided the replay streams for both the NBCSN feed with the Phil, Bob, Christian and the commercials as well the commercial free feed with various other commentators.

I could listen to both feeds. One on the TV and the other on my macbook and choose the feed that was having the most interesting commentary at the moment.

msu2001la 08-30-21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Snotrub (Post 22207061)

The whole NBC Peacock thing has been super confusing to me.

I bought it to watch the Tour De France and it seemed fine. They had both the global ad-free Ant McCrossan broadcast, and the Phil, Bob, Horner, VdV NBCSN broadcast, but then it was sometimes hours after the race ended before the NBC replay was available, so I mostly just watched the global version.

During the Olympics I expected a ton of streaming content on Peacock and it was always a disappointment. Replays took days to get posted for various sports, and most of the content seemed to be short clips. It also looked like the regular-free NBC Sports app (or free Peacock app?) had the same content.

Anyway, once I realized the Vuelta would be on the Olympic channel I cancelled my Peacock subscription.

unterhausen 08-30-21 03:59 PM

Bob and VdV are on the Peacock highlights.

I think Bob and VdV have more insight into what's going on. The duo on Peacock were totally mystified as to why anyone would intentionally give up the red jersey, just as one obvious example.
And they don't seem to get any insight from the participants, they just read social media and press releases.

Leinster 09-01-21 03:15 PM

I would take Bob over Ant McCrossan any day.

2cam16 09-01-21 03:42 PM

I think the OP ran out of meds after 8 years so this had to be posted. :lol::twitchy:

Iride01 09-01-21 04:18 PM

McCrossan actually seems to give some interesting takes on things. Not that I always agree with him.

However he and all the other announcers on the commercial free feeds always seem so monotone. I think it's because they are mostly a one man show and they have to do all the other studio stuff and reading tweets from listeners that is handled by others on the commercial feed.

Bob and Christian have the luxury of just sitting back watching the race and then saying whatever pops into their head much like we would do if we were sitting together at a TV. However they can't have a beer.

Bob giggles a lot. But other than that, I'm happy to listen to him more often than I don't want to hear from him.

cyclezen 09-01-21 04:33 PM

Best thing about good commentators, who know what's goin on:
1. They quickly recognize riders, even without seeing the numbers initially. I can mostly quickly recognize the primaries, but the younger guyz, the secondary riders - it's great that both Bobke and Christian know them instantly, even better than the Vuelta video feed, which has gotten the riders wrong any number of times.
2. They can pick riders who are falling off the back of a line, or somewhere in the middle and not easily visible.
3. Can see when a jump is testing or when there's some serious intent to get clear.
Are really comfortable with each other and the back and forth is ongoing, often interesting and always fun...
When Eurosport has the 2 brits working together - same thing...
The racing cred shows thru :thumb:
Thx
Yuri

cyclezen 09-01-21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by houdanolo (Post 22204544)

Commentating is very hard, even harder to be a great commentator, whatever your roll, play by play, or color.
Check any sport, the commentators all have 'redundancy', you can't constantly be creating new key comments, on the fly, and have it work well, and do it timely enough to suit the action...
I can remember back the few times, while working a race, and asked to take over commentary for a race... I SUCKED!
I just couldn't get the thoughts and words together before the peloton was well past the stands... And mostly these were Crits - so I SUCKed, lap after lap after lap... LOL! :eek:
good commentating is an art, a gift and a skill to be honed, like sprinting...
Thx
Yuri