Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   2021 race stories (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1229189)

mattm 11-08-21 02:01 AM

I won the "Lion's Den" amateur crit last weekend!

We asked to get invited to the "pro" race but were denied, so we figured the best way to prove we deserve it was to win the "people's race."

Fun event overall. Podium was legit, even if it was hours after my race. Nice way to end the season for sure.

himespau 11-08-21 07:57 AM

Congrats

carpediemracing 11-09-21 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mattm (Post 22299734)
I won the "Lion's Den" amateur crit last weekend!

We asked to get invited to the "pro" race but were denied, so we figured the best way to prove we deserve it was to win the "people's race."

Fun event overall. Podium was legit, even if it was hours after my race. Nice way to end the season for sure.

Ha love the scream at the line! So awesome.

himespau 11-09-21 09:02 AM

To have that sprint for the win (was that like a minute sprint?) and then still have the wind to scream? Wow.

burnthesheep 12-12-21 03:28 PM

CX-Mas race. Holeshot. First lap holeshot free spiked eggnog shot on backstretch. Guy divebombed a corner hot inside and cost me spots early. Gained back to 4th. Always a very fun Christmas event.

caloso 03-14-22 12:40 PM

Bariani RR (60 miles (3 laps of 20)). Masters 50+ 1/2/3. No teammates, which I thought might be fun to just freelance. The problem was that I missed the break, which got established on the narrowest and crappyest part of the course. The big teams like Peet's, Thirsty Bear, and Coretech were all represented so no one was interested in chasing. When the road widened I took a shot at bridging but no one came with, I didn't make it, and sat up. Rode the rest of the race in the main bunch, more like a Saturday group ride. Oh well. Still a nice ride, had decent fitness, and didn't flat, drop a chain, or crash, unlike more than a few people.

ntnyln 03-14-22 05:18 PM

That's a tough group to be chasing solo. Good job on taking a shot. It's been a while, but the last time I did that race, I remember the road condition being somewhere between Snelling and Copperopolis.

caloso 03-14-22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ntnyln (Post 22439138)
That's a tough group to be chasing solo. Good job on taking a shot. It's been a while, but the last time I did that race, I remember the road condition being somewhere between Snelling and Copperopolis.

It's gotten worse actually. Every year, I say to myself "Why didn't I bring my cross bike?"

TMonk 03-15-22 06:50 AM

FYI guys we do have a 2022 thread started

Yep 03-16-22 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 22438803)
Bariani RR (60 miles (3 laps of 20)). Masters 50+ 1/2/3. No teammates, which I thought might be fun to just freelance. The problem was that I missed the break, which got established on the narrowest and crappyest part of the course. The big teams like Peet's, Thirsty Bear, and Coretech were all represented so no one was interested in chasing. When the road widened I took a shot at bridging but no one came with, I didn't make it, and sat up. Rode the rest of the race in the main bunch, more like a Saturday group ride. Oh well. Still a nice ride, had decent fitness, and didn't flat, drop a chain, or crash, unlike more than a few people.

So cool to have a 50+ 1/2/3 field. Racing over here in the UK now, it's great to have such good attendance at races, and lots of races, but they'll almost never have any Masters fields (it's all just category fields, and usually just one, like 3/4, 2/3/4, 1/2/3, on the day).