Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recumbent (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The most important question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1236397)

Kingpoo 08-09-21 08:18 PM

The most important question

Can it wheelie? I've been debating a recumbent bike, but I've never seen anyone wheelie on them. I've been thinking I might need to add a motor for the extra torque rear hub and battery in the back for better weight distribution. Any thoughts?

maleger 08-10-21 06:09 AM

Not sure what you mean by wheelie but if you look at some of the videos from Utah Trike on Youtube you will see them riding a trike on 2 wheels, mostly sideways. Does not look like something I would try, being a risk-averse wimp with an inclination towards hypochondria.

Harhir 08-13-21 07:20 AM

I have a BikeE which I did kind of wheelies with. Involuntarily. Since I am a tall heavy guy and I have the seat all the way back, almost all the weight is on the back wheel. Going up inclines it has happened that the front wheel came of the ground. Therefore I moved to a short wheelbase recumbent with a better weight distribution between front and back wheels. I personally would not recommend doing wheelies on a recumbent since you cannot really use your lower body to balance the bike.

GhostRider62 08-13-21 07:25 AM

They are only single use wheelie machines.

And have a good first aid kit handy

adamrice 08-13-21 08:14 AM

My thought is you should have saved this post for April 1.

TCollen 08-14-21 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by maleger (Post 22178309)
Not sure what you mean by wheelie ...

Seriously?! Speak with any guy who had any bike in the 1960s, and he'll explain how he did (or tried to do) wheelies on his bike.

One year during my misspent youth I bent 3 axles by doing too many wheelies on my red Schwinn American.

maleger 08-14-21 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by TCollen (Post 22184088)
Seriously?! Speak with any guy who had any bike in the 1960s, and he'll explain how he did (or tried to do) wheelies on his bike.

Sure, I know what it is and I started biking in the late 60's, but I was not sure what he had in mind for a wheelie on a recumbent... or if it was for a recumbent bike or trike.

BlazingPedals 08-16-21 09:16 AM

To wheelie reliably, the bike would have to be weight-biased over the rear tire, which wouldn't be safe for normal riding.

RedConveyor 08-16-21 09:45 AM

If I was to attempt this (I don't think I would!) I would put the battery - and anything else heavy that doesn't need a fixed position - on some sort of mounting that can move back and forth so you can adjust the center of gravity. It sounds like a tricky balance between far enough back to go up, and far enough forward that you can go back down when you want to...

rydabent 08-16-21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kingpoo (Post 22178048)
Can it wheelie? I've been debating a recumbent bike, but I've never seen anyone wheelie on them. I've been thinking I might need to add a motor for the extra torque rear hub and battery in the back for better weight distribution. Any thoughts?

If that is the most important question, I would like to know what the least important question is. :)

Steamer 08-16-21 07:09 PM