Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 06-21-20 08:08 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21545412)
Hs was cool before it was cool.

It wasn't invented until the mid '90s.

seedsbelize 06-21-20 08:11 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21545411)
I’m at the stage where I don’t know what looks stupid. I see people on here making reference to riders doing it wrong, I’m not sure what is wrong.

I’m not going to stop wearing them seeds. My bike fund is slow to grow and socks are at the bottom of the amazon list. :)

Stupid is as stupid does. Some of us pay no attention to perceived peer pressure. We are technically in the 41 here. And the 41 is all about folks telling others they're doing it wrong.

Velo Vol 06-21-20 08:21 AM

Wikipedia says Everesting is also a thing in running. wut

datlas 06-21-20 08:35 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21545352)
My wife is taking me out for a Father's Day ride.

For a present, she bought me two face masks with replaceable filters. :rolleyes:

As a Father’s Day bonus, you get to kick me off the leaderboard!

:bday:

big john 06-21-20 08:50 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21545228)
It beats sitting along a road race course, probably.

I've gone to several stages of the Tour of California. If you're alone in the middle of nowhere, then yeah, it's boring except for the 30 seconds when they ride by. But if you go to the right spot, like a KOM, it's a party with thousands of people with music (sometimes), and food and sometimes drink. One stage of the TOC had the riders going by twice, first on the way up to a KOM, then after a loop, screaming by going downhill when the cars had trouble keeping up.

Another time we watched the KOM climb with thousands of fans, then rode up to the final climb where there were beer gardens, free bottled water, and food concessions.and when the race came through the people went nuts. It was fun.

To go to the top of a hill and watch someone go up and down a hill in some ego stroking sufferfest, no thanks. You can just tell me about it later (yawn).

datlas 06-21-20 08:54 AM

I already said it, but worth repeating.

Everesting is stupid.

datlas 06-21-20 09:12 AM

Random car question. The heat shielding on the underside of Hannah’s car at the catalytic converter is coming off and the bolts on one side are totally rusted out. We want to keep the car going for another 1-2 years if we can. I am figuring plan A is to secure it with several wraps of metal wire, rather than just ripping it out completely.

Yes?

WhyFi 06-21-20 09:14 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21545388)
current in the do wtf I want stage, but I also don’t want to look like a an idiot if that makes sense. My wife bought me four pair of “cycling race socks”. I use loosely, not sure where she got them, it said cycling race socks on the packaging. I also have two thermal socks that are high for winter riding.

Do whatever you want. I like taller socks (6-7") in cooler weather, but favor 2-4" cuffs in warmer weather. I also like fun socks, though I don't have many of those right now. Tall, white tube socks are about the only no-go for me.

rjones28 06-21-20 09:15 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21545055)
How about short shorts?

Be more specific.

WhyFi 06-21-20 09:16 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21545473)
I've gone to several stages of the Tour of California. If you're alone in the middle of nowhere, then yeah, it's boring except for the 30 seconds when they ride by. But if you go to the right spot, like a KOM, it's a party with thousands of people with music (sometimes), and food and sometimes drink. One stage of the TOC had the riders going by twice, first on the way up to a KOM, then after a loop, screaming by going downhill when the cars had trouble keeping up.

Another time we watched the KOM climb with thousands of fans, then rode up to the final climb where there were beer gardens, free bottled water, and food concessions.and when the race came through the people went nuts. It was fun.

To go to the top of a hill and watch someone go up and down a hill in some ego stroking sufferfest, no thanks. You can just tell me about it later (yawn).

Hanging out at Phil's Cookie Corner would be fun.

Bah Humbug 06-21-20 09:16 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21545480)
I already said it, but worth repeating.

Everesting is stupid.

For once I agree with your definition of stupid.

rjones28 06-21-20 09:18 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21545216)
Sailors in Annapolis are supposed to burn their socks at the spring equinox. Personally, I find shoes without socks disgusting, especially when said shoes are off the wearer’s feet, unless the shoes or the owner are impregnated with that silver-based antibacterial stuff.

I assume one does not wear socks with deck shoes.

big john 06-21-20 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21545504)
Random car question. The heat shielding on the underside of Hannah’s car at the catalytic converter is coming off and the bolts on one side are totally rusted out. We want to keep the car going for another 1-2 years if we can. I am figuring plan A is to secure it with several wraps of metal wire, rather than just ripping it out completely.

Yes?

Is the shield bolted to the cat? You could wire it on or use giant hose clamps or see if a muffler shop will weld it on for you. If it's bolted to the body you could try pop rivets.

rjones28 06-21-20 09:24 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21545388)
current in the do wtf I want stage, but I also don’t want to look like a an idiot if that makes sense. My wife bought me four pair of “cycling race socks”. I use loosely, not sure where she got them, it said cycling race socks on the packaging. I also have two thermal socks that are high for winter riding.

Not sure how socks mitigate this. :innocent:

rjones28 06-21-20 09:27 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21545423)
It wasn't invented until the mid '90s.

Which century?

big john 06-21-20 09:29 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21545514)
Hanging out at Phil's Cookie Corner would be fun.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d7c51df3fd.jpg

Velo Vol 06-21-20 09:29 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21545511)
Be more specific.

See post #10254

bampilot06 06-21-20 09:31 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21545525)
Not sure how socks mitigate this. :innocent:

ouch.

DougRNS 06-21-20 09:32 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7e172ee961.jpg
#YearOfNoSummer
:foo:
Now I have to cut one of my lawns.

SMH

Velo Vol 06-21-20 09:38 AM

This is a lame video and it's hard to tell what's going on, but it seems he only ran uphill and rode in the van back to the bottom of the climb.

Cheating!


WhyFi 06-21-20 09:46 AM

Yesterday evening, we met up with our friends, another family with a boy our son's age, and had a little distanced hang-out/picnic in the park. The hubby is a guy that, last year, had decided to start riding and entered his first race. This was really the first time that I'd caught up with him in a while, so I thought that it'd be, uh, interesting to see where he was with things.

Yeah, I get the feeling that he hasn't raced again since getting ejected OTB. Now he's decided that he's going to concentrate on running with an eye on triathlons next year. BUT, "I'm not going to bother unless I think I can podium, though. I mean, what's the point, otherwise?"

:rolleyes:

Towards cycling, he's got a very weird perspective. He was relishing the fact that the River Road has been shut down to traffic, saying that it's one of the only places where you can "open it up," and was lamenting that it would eventually be re-opened to vehicular traffic. :foo: I've been riding that road for several years and the closure hasn't made a difference for me, so it makes me think that he's sticking to MUPs pretty much exclusively and riding on the road is a big treat for him. At the same time, he seems to have contempt for other MUPpers, "I get a kick out of these guys that pass me, thinking they're going fast, but then I think, 'yeah, let's see what happens when we hit an incline.'" Yes - he fancies himself a climber... in MN.

And then the equipment justification. Yow. He spent a bunch of time telling me about how a carbon bike, or discs, or this or that wasn't worth it. That it would be frustrating because, "it'd be like having a race car as a daily driver and you'd never get to push it to its limits." :twitchy: So very weird.

datlas 06-21-20 09:47 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21545519)
Is the shield bolted to the cat? You could wire it on or use giant hose clamps or see if a muffler shop will weld it on for you. If it's bolted to the body you could try pop rivets.

Looks like 4 bolts to the cat but two rusted off so it’s hanging down like an open door. I believe main issue is the cat gets HOT and could ignite leaves or debris under car, so thinking if I can secure the “door” in a closed position with some metal wire that’s better than taking it off altogether.

WhyFi 06-21-20 09:47 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21545525)
Not sure how socks mitigate this. :innocent:

Shots fired! :lol:

BillyD 06-21-20 09:48 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21545354)
so what is the correct sock height that I keep reading about? asking for a friend. :innocent:

LOL. Don’t neglect to put the word “correct” in quotes to properly designate it as just silliness.

big john 06-21-20 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21545581)
Looks like 4 bolts to the cat but two rusted off so it’s hanging down like an open door. I believe main issue is the cat gets HOT and could ignite leaves or debris under car, so thinking if I can secure the “door” in a closed position with some metal wire that’s better than taking it off altogether.

Yes, it gets extremely hot. As in, still hot enough to burn the parts counterman when I return it to him after taking it off of a car.

However you choose to secure it, you don't want it to come off when driving.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.