Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

big john 06-14-20 10:56 PM

I'll listen to about any kind of music, at least once. I've been trapped into listening to whatever was on somebody's radio at work. Some heated situations have arisen from that, like one time I took a big pry bar and told a co-worker I was going to smash his radio if he didn't turn it down, or off, or change it. Sometimes that works against me, they find out what gets under my skin and play it every day. A guy at the last job found out I hate Hotel California so he would blast it from time to time and even called my home number and left it on my voicemail. That made me laugh.

noodle soup 06-14-20 11:06 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21534303)
I'll listen to about any kind of music, at least once. I've been trapped into listening to whatever was on somebody's radio at work. Some heated situations have arisen from that, like one time I took a big pry bar and told a co-worker I was going to smash his radio if he didn't turn it down, or off, or change it. Sometimes that works against me, they find out what gets under my skin and play it every day. A guy at the last job found out I hate Hotel California so he would blast it from time to time and even called my home number and left it on my voicemail. That made me laugh.

I wear one bluetooth earbud at work, so no one hears what I listen to. Usually it's a podcast of some Boston sports radio.

When the doors are closed, and we start to relax a bit, I normally request Tedeschi Trucks Band, and no one ever complains.

.



Bah Humbug 06-15-20 04:47 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21533900)
Are they thinking/hoping that transmission will be lower pre-Thanksgiving? Along those lines, are we seeing warm weather lower transmission rates that were hoped for?

Given that since we reopened, Texas broke our record for hospitalizations (and that was before the capacity increase) I wouldn't put much stock in that hope.

Bah Humbug 06-15-20 05:21 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21533917)
Does anyone here listen to music recorded after 1977? SMH.

With all apologies to BillyD and his belief that '70s music is objectively better than all that comes after, this is one of the things that shows the age of the people here. It's not about the objective quality of the music (however you'd define that); it's about the music being nostalgic to your youth. Not for nothing, the exalted '70s music was when the boomers were teens, so it is naturally loved by the largest age cohort.

Even I have started to feel like new music doesn't sound right, a fact which disturbs me greatly.

bampilot06 06-15-20 05:35 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21534086)
I always do one New Years Day. The only thing that stops us is snow. Most of my endurance rides that are 4.5 hours are usually around 90 miles, and an extra few wouldn't hurt too bad. Do enough, you can pretty much get on your bike and do 100 miles any time you choose. Once you adapt your body to chew up fat instead of muscle, you can do them on a few bottles of Roctane drink mix.


how does one do this?

indyfabz 06-15-20 05:36 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21534174)
Same, but I did see Hall and Oates on TV once and I was mocking them until my friend pointed out how good they were live.

Just imagine how good they could have been had they had more than three decent songs. :innocent:

I had an aunt (wife of my mother's brother) named Karen Carpenter. Her family was somehow related to the Carpenters--Karen and Richard. My cousin ended up with a box full of promotional 45s. "She's Gone" was one of them. Liked that song the first time I heard it. "Maneater", on the other hand, makes my skin crawl.

bampilot06 06-15-20 05:38 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21534481)
With all apologies to BillyD and his belief that '70s music is objectively better than all that comes after, this is one of the things that shows the age of the people here. It's not about the objective quality of the music (however you'd define that); it's about the music being nostalgic to your youth. Not for nothing, the exalted '70s music was when the boomers were teens, so it is naturally loved by the largest age cohort.

Even I have started to feel like new music doesn't sound right, a fact which disturbs me greatly.

I used to let it disturb me, but I found peace when I realized it was crap.

bampilot06 06-15-20 05:39 AM

Looks like rain until friday. Need a beater bike.

indyfabz 06-15-20 05:50 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21534275)
My first concert was The Mothers of Invention at Pauley Pavilion at UCLA in 1971.

Isley Brothers with Taste of Honey and someone else at the Philadelphia Convention Center in '77 or '78. Ticket in the second level was $7.

In '86 the Allman Brothers played a free, two set show in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia. Amazing. Saw the Dead probably a dozen times, including in '86 at RFK in D.C. with Dylan and Petty. It was humid and in the mid to upper 90s. Another memorable show was The Who in, I think, '89 at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh. It was the tour where they opened with select songs from "Tommy." I was dating a woman in a wheelchair so we got to sit in the press box. The Stones' Voodoo Lounge tour was pretty damn good. My step brother made two of the videos used in the concert as was able to score free tickets when they came to Philly. On the floor of Veterans Stadium (the ball park). Close, but not so close that your suffered hearing loss.

Trsnrtr 06-15-20 06:05 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21534174)
Same, but I did see Hall and Oates on TV once and I was mocking them until my friend pointed out how good they were live.


I saw them live back in the '80s. I have little remembrance of the concert other than John Oates' orange clown pants. :D

WhyFi 06-15-20 06:07 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21534481)
Even I have started to feel like new music doesn't sound right, a fact which disturbs me greatly.

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts/feelings. There is, of course, plenty of new music that's more traditional in form, but some of the newer stuff is just... wrong.

Trsnrtr 06-15-20 06:07 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21534205)
When Fresh Cream came out it blew us away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hSiqy9v9FM


:thumb:

WhyFi 06-15-20 06:24 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21534487)
how does one do this?

A big part of it is to do rides fasted (on an empty stomach). I'm sure that LAJ is far better adapted than me, but I've been doing morning rides with little-to-nothing in my stomach for a few years and no longer have a problem doing a metric with anything other than water/nuun/whatever. I think that the basic premise is that you need to moderate your effort and limit your body's access to easy energy stores so that it turns to the fat stores for fuel. I think that, for the best effect, you really need to limit your carb intake, too, but I'm too attached to that stuff to cut it out completely. Maybe one day I'll get serious.

bampilot06 06-15-20 06:38 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21534546)
A big part of it is to do rides fasted (on an empty stomach). I'm sure that LAJ is far better adapted than me, but I've been doing morning rides with little-to-nothing in my stomach for a few years and no longer have a problem doing a metric with anything other than water/nuun/whatever. I think that the basic premise is that you need to moderate your effort and limit your body's access to easy energy stores so that it turns to the fat stores for fuel. I think that, for the best effect, you really need to limit your carb intake, too, but I'm too attached to that stuff to cut it out completely. Maybe one day I'll get serious.

my wife was born in Naples. Cutting carbs is impossible. lol. When we first started dating I was body building at the time and I wouldnít eat a carb for 6 months at a time. Letís just say that didnít last long once I met her family.

My morning rides are fasted so thatís a start.

Trsnrtr 06-15-20 06:42 AM

I don’t know about riding and fasting but I do know that if I ride a 60+ mile ride every week or two, I require very little fueling during the ride. I drink my share of water but food is pretty sparse.

rjones28 06-15-20 06:45 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21534280)

Sure. But we had a request for 1978.

datlas 06-15-20 06:48 AM

My schedule this week is weak.

I had told my office manager last winter to block out this week and next week for vacation to Spain.

I told her to open them up when COVID19 happened, but for various reasons there are still very few patients scheduled.

I am likely going to take the afternoon off today and tomorrow, so at least I can sneak in a ride or some family time.

#PodiumBoundAgain

WhyFi 06-15-20 06:55 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21534558)
My morning rides are fasted so thatís a start.

Now start working in some longer, easier effort rides. I know that, when ride time is scarce, the inclination is to come back spent using what little time you have, but varying pace and distance is good.

rjones28 06-15-20 07:05 AM

When I'm at the bike shop, I listen to whatever the guys are playing. Most of the guys are under 30.

bampilot06 06-15-20 07:08 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21534586)
Now start working in some longer, easier effort rides. I know that, when ride time is scarce, the inclination is to come back spent using what little time you have, but varying pace and distance is good.


This is going to sound stupid, but I actually have a hard time pacing myself slower when I am alone. And I think itís because Iím not sure how. Iíve tried keeping my speed slower but at some point it creeps back up and then itís harder work for me to slow down if that makes sense.

phrantic09 06-15-20 07:14 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21534586)
Now start working in some longer, easier effort rides. I know that, when ride time is scarce, the inclination is to come back spent using what little time you have, but varying pace and distance is good.


This is the hardest part to pull off IMO. The other thing with fasted riding is that it you have to be truly fasted for it to work (no milk/cream in coffee etc.)

big john 06-15-20 07:15 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21534570)
Sure. But we had a request for 1978.

When I hear Al Di Meola, that's the one I think of first because it's awesome.

mvnsnd 06-15-20 07:15 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21534613)
This is going to sound stupid, but I actually have a hard time pacing myself slower when I am alone. And I think it’s because I’m not sure how. I’ve tried keeping my speed slower but at some point it creeps back up and then it’s harder work for me to slow down if that makes sense.

I have the same issue, but I have been trying to use heart rate only instead of speed on easy rides. It's to easy to get focused on speed. When the heart rate goes up, back off a bit.

WhyFi 06-15-20 07:19 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21534575)

:notamused: give the rest of us a chance.

I want to start ramping up on some longer rides. I'd like to start laying the foundation for a 170+ mile ride that I have in mind (from Minneapolis to Duluth, MN). That's a one-way trip, though, so my wife would have to play along for that to become a reality. Still, I want to prepare as if it's going to happen.

Last week, a guy dropped in with a few of my club mates after crossing paths on the road. A few days ago, that guy did a one-day, out and back to Duluth along the course where our MS150 occurs. (Well, kind of, but not really. He started from Mpls, didn't drop all the way in to Duluth [climbing back out would probably hurt with 160+ miles already in the legs], and then he ended his ride in a small town about 30 miles outside of the Twin Cities. Still, almost 300 miles makes for a long day in the saddle.) Anyway, it good motivation for me and I think that the lock-down has a lot of people thinking about goals that would have seemed silly to themselves not long ago.

datlas 06-15-20 07:23 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21534632)
:notamused: give the rest of us a chance.

I want to start ramping up on some longer rides. I'd like to start laying the foundation for a 170+ mile ride that I have in mind (from Minneapolis to Duluth, MN). That's a one-way trip, though, so my wife would have to play along for that to become a reality. Still, I want to prepare as if it's going to happen.

Last week, a guy dropped in with a few of my club mates after crossing paths on the road. A few days ago, that guy did a one-day, out and back to Duluth along the course where our MS150 occurs. (Well, kind of, but not really. He started from Mpls, didn't drop all the way in to Duluth [climbing back out would probably hurt with 160+ miles already in the legs], and then he ended his ride in a small town about 30 miles outside of the Twin Cities. Still, almost 300 miles makes for a long day in the saddle.) Anyway, it good motivation for me and I think that the lock-down has a lot of people thinking about goals that would have seemed silly to themselves not long ago.

Would you do the 170+ ride in one day, or would this be a @Velo Vol ride with a long rest stop?? Personally, the longest ride I have ever done was about 120 miles and the last few were painful. My ideal "long" ride these days is 85-90 miles, would consider a century for a special occasion especially if/when group rides are happening.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.