Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Gitane Record Campy Victory (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1275624)

Jicafold 06-23-23 03:50 PM

Gitane Record Campy Victory

So I have this here Gitane Record bike. It has full Campy with a Victory group. Reynolds 501 tubing. Has it's share of scratches, but not too bad. I might part this out, or restore and ride. Not sure. But what is it worth?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0fd1722abf.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...94bd89133c.jpg

ljsense 06-23-23 08:31 PM

It's worth more if you disassemble it and sell all the parts individually.

Right now it's a bike with flat tires. You'd have to pay to replace those and be out around $100. And then try to haggle with someone like the guy above for $350 to net $250?

Screw that.

Think of it this way:

frame/fork -- $250

wheelset -- $80

shifters -- $40

brakes -- $40

crankset -- $40

seatpost -- $50

stem -- $30

handlebar -- $15

brake levers -- $30

derailleurs -- $60

pedals -- $20

freewheel cogs -- $25

bottom bracket -- $15

headset -- $15

saddle -- $5

So those are all pretty conservative prices, and they have you over $700, but I think they depend on marketing it on some platform like eBay that would charge you fees. Net, conservatively, $600.

And I think the prices I listed are to sell pretty quickly -- you could probably do considerably better if you're patient. Don't do auctions. Few people these days want to mess around with bids and waiting days for the results. Research and list each part for what you think the market might support and accept offers.

Campagnolo parts always have a good following.

plonz 06-24-23 06:49 AM

Nice looking bike but I’m closer to $250 +/- $25. 501 frame. Needs new skins, tape and saddle at minimum. Maybe the French cachet commands more than this but I’m not thinking so on a mid-range bike.

The eBay part-out above is a tempting route. Good estimates except for the frame/fork which looks $100 too high to me (remember someone is eating $50 shipping on this). Unless you’re a hardened eBayer, fees, postage, haggling and profit-by-a-000-cuts can quickly dull the luster of this avenue.

Slowride79 06-24-23 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ljsense (Post 22932855)
It's worth more if you disassemble it and sell all the parts individually.

Right now it's a bike with flat tires. You'd have to pay to replace those and be out around $100. And then try to haggle with someone like the guy above for $350 to net $250?

Screw that.

Think of it this way:

frame/fork -- $250

wheelset -- $80

shifters -- $40

brakes -- $40

crankset -- $40

seatpost -- $50

stem -- $30

handlebar -- $15

brake levers -- $30

derailleurs -- $60

pedals -- $20

freewheel cogs -- $25

bottom bracket -- $15

headset -- $15

saddle -- $5

So those are all pretty conservative prices, and they have you over $700, but I think they depend on marketing it on some platform like eBay that would charge you fees. Net, conservatively, $600.

And I think the prices I listed are to sell pretty quickly -- you could probably do considerably better if you're patient. Don't do auctions. Few people these days want to mess around with bids and waiting days for the results. Research and list each part for what you think the market might support and accept offers.

Campagnolo parts always have a good following.

I’ll take the other side of the argument… add up all the time it takes you to pack all these items and take to shipper, packing materials, photo and list items, answer questions. Unless your time is worth like $3/hr you will not make $600 let alone $50. Do the calculations and you will see netting the $250 after tires or selling as is will net you more. otherwise everyone would be making a small fortune selling old bike parts , right? Wrong!

bargainguy 06-24-23 07:12 AM

Downtube shifter bikes are having a really hard time these days. Everyone is selling their pandemic bike purchases at firesale prices, and that drives the rest of the market down to the point where it's just not worth it anymore.

This one has eye-catching paint and a chrome fork, but Reynolds 501 tubing and the Triomphe group are not highly valued these days, at least not where I live.

A year or two ago, $300-400 would not be unreasonable. Today, I'm thinking $200 tops, and $150 for a quick sale.

Mr. 66 06-24-23 08:59 AM

I have this at about $250-300 on a local Craigslist sale.

This is new enough that it probably is English threading, if that makes a difference.

Jicafold 06-24-23 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Slowride79 (Post 22933101)
I’ll take the other side of the argument… add up all the time it takes you to pack all these items and take to shipper, packing materials, photo and list items, answer questions. Unless your time is worth like $3/hr you will not make $600 let alone $50. Do the calculations and you will see netting the $250 after tires or selling as is will net you more. otherwise everyone would be making a small fortune selling old bike parts , right? Wrong!

Well, I already sell bike parts on Ebay. I sell a few parts a week and have over 50 listed. Some Mondays I go to the post office with 5 or 6 packages. Amazon and the local bike shop gives me all by boxes, packages, and packing material, foam and bubble wrap for free. Post office is close by also. Besdies, if I am wrapping parts while watching Dancing with the Stars in the evening that is not wasted time. I would just be sitting on my butt anyays. So I would disagree with your assessment.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22932825)
That's Triomphe, not Victory..

I did not know it was Triomphe, so thank you.

I have a pile of 700c tires all of which are like new, so replacement tires are essentially free.

But yes, I imagine there is a slim market for this. I'll probably part it out. Thank you.

Sedgemop 06-24-23 02:19 PM

I got a vote for keeping the bike, if you like the ride and it fits. It's a good looking one and doesn't appear to need much restoration-wise, especially if you got the tires already. Campy Triomphe does have some value, bit it's not a group I'd be looking to make a buncha money with.

TugaDude 06-24-23 03:32 PM

You can look up the various components on velobase.com to get proper descriptions.

ramzilla 07-09-23 08:54 PM

Another beautiful wall hanger.

You would have better luck selling it if you could fit brand new tires on it & make it rideable.

Oh well. Be good. Have fun.