Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Training & Nutrition (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   I would like to encourage the fat challenged to lose weight (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1228145)

ZHVelo 04-20-21 04:35 AM

What is "fat challenged"? Fat but like "vertically challenged"?

SCTinkering 04-20-21 02:01 PM

Every person is different. What works for one, doesn't work for all. What it really boils down to is a level of calorie restriction in some way shape or form.

Carbonfiberboy 04-20-21 06:14 PM

If one can do it, weight loss obviously requires some sort of calorie restriction. That's not really the issue for many people. The issue is food addiction, which is a totally ordinary addiction. It's one of the most difficult addictions to deal with, worse than even cigarettes. which is more difficult than heroin. I know people who've fought it their whole lives and lost every battle. I have great sympathy for them. Weight loss is easy for me, easy for most of us or we wouldn't be here.

How to break the addiction for good would be a good topic, the exact method of CO/CI not so much unless it bore upon the basic issue.

ropetwitch 04-22-21 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by cj3209 (Post 22012695)
"Yup. Starvation should only be attempted under close medical supervision or for political purposes."

Agreed. Although Intermittent Fasting does work and is relatively safe as you are basically only skipping breakfast.

Cheers!

I'm currently doing intermittent fasting, 16:8. But, its quite hard and I always fall between 14:12 (12 hours window eating). Do you think its okay to maintain 14:12.
Please take note that I'm not eliminating any foods, just minimizing taking them.

guachi 04-22-21 03:21 PM

I found skipping breakfast to be useless and fasting to be useless as well. Actually, the opposite of useless. Eating breakfast (or a brunch at work) meant I had enough energy and had digested my food such that I could work out in the afternoon and then eat dinner and maybe a snack of a few hundred calories a few hours before bed.

elcruxio 04-23-21 04:50 AM

I started losing weight when I started eating more (often). As in I would often skip lunch and be famished at dinner time. Then I'd overeat at dinner and the cycle of not really losing weight was ready. I did stay at a stable (albeit slightly too high) weight for years though. So trying to lose weight was difficult.

With some changes in our daily routine and the wife staying at home all day every day forced me to eat lunch. I'd force myself to eat something even when I really did not have an apetite. That in turn would suppress my apetite at dinner so the small something at lunch lead to only small something at dinner at well. Smaller portions, no seconds etc. It seems that caused a net calorie loss which has been lowering my weight slowly but surely for the last ten months or so.

It's nice because I can eat whatever I want. But I want to eat is small portions of stuff some would consider healthy. Heavier foods like steaks and burgers have to a large extent lost their luster for me. Sometimes they're nice but they really are a rare treat. And even then I prefer them in a michelin star setting with multiple other main courses (I can't afford that stuff myself but it's nice having a boss who likes taking the workforce out to eat once a year)

Melvang 04-23-21 04:59 AM

There is no such thing as bad food. Dollar weight, you simply need to be in a caloric deficit, that is all, and that is the only way excluding liposuction. To maintain muscle mass, you need protein. From there fats or carbs is personal preference when it comes to far loss. For cycling, most can do about an hour before really needing fuel during the ride.

GCN recently did a video with Ollie and Connor doing a 140km ride. Connor are zero and only drank water during the ride. They monitored glucose levels during the ride and even did 5 minute efforts on 4 hills during the ride. He said he didn't really feel the BONK until the very end.

rubiksoval 04-23-21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Melvang (Post 22027508)
There is no such thing as bad food. .

That's obviously completely wrong.

SCTinkering 04-25-21 08:01 PM

There is no such thing as bad food.

I get the intent of the statement, but it's just wrong. Bad Food would be anything highly processed that provides calories and little else beyond maybe an unneeded insulin response.

GCN recently did a video with Ollie and Connor doing a 140km ride. Connor are zero and only drank water during the ride. They monitored glucose levels during the ride and even did 5 minute efforts on 4 hills during the ride. He said he didn't really feel the BONK until the very end.

It was Hank & Connor and Connor reckoned that he went as long as he did because of his diet and carryover ability to push through he learned while a professional cyclist.

IMHO getting rid of as much processed stuff as possible is the first step, and the second is being portion aware. E.G. 100 Grams of pistachios is 576 calories. Pour out 100g and see how much that is in a small bowl. Maybe 50g is enough to satisfy you?

gios 04-26-21 03:00 AM

A small percentage of those who are overweight have metabolic health - normal A1C, good HDL levels, no insulin resistance.

Melvang 04-26-21 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 22028465)
That's obviously completely wrong.

Originally Posted by SCTinkering (Post 22031411)
I get the intent of the statement, but it's just wrong. Bad Food would be anything highly processed that provides calories and little else beyond maybe an unneeded insulin response.

It was Hank & Connor and Connor reckoned that he went as long as he did because of his diet and carryover ability to push through he learned while a professional cyclist.

IMHO getting rid of as much processed stuff as possible is the first step, and the second is being portion aware. E.G. 100 Grams of pistachios is 576 calories. Pour out 100g and see how much that is in a small bowl. Maybe 50g is enough to satisfy you?

https://www.narinsedc.com/blog/the-g...dbad-food-myth

The only "good" and "bad" foods are what fit your fitness goals or if it was prepared well or poorly. The food itself is not good or bad. To perpetuate this myth also contributes to a possible eating disorder called orthorexia. And pistachios are disgusting anyway. I refuse to even buy mixed nuts with them in it.

rubiksoval 04-26-21 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Melvang (Post 22031788)

The only "good" and "bad" foods are what fit your fitness goals or if it was prepared well or poorly. The food itself is not good or bad. To perpetuate this myth also contributes to a possible eating disorder called orthorexia. And pistachios are disgusting anyway. I refuse to even buy mixed nuts with them in it.

You might convince yourself of something you made up, but expecting other people to go long with it is folly.

SCTinkering 04-26-21 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Melvang (Post 22031788)
https://www.narinsedc.com/blog/the-g...dbad-food-myth

Yeah that article (can four paragraphs by a nutritionist intern be considered a peer-reviewable article?) doesn't even remotely dig into processed versus unprocessed food. Sounds more like the intern just learned some new stuff and wanted to make a blog post.

blue192 05-13-21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22014097)
Possibly a reference to rapid weight loss causing gallstones, which is a thing.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/gallb...y-weight-loss/

Trust me you do NOT want gallstones whilst riding a bike or doing any sort of bending/twisting. I been through it there will be really bad bodily fluids coming out. My gallbladder had to be surgically removed because of this.

ZHVelo 06-04-21 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by heatnikki (Post 22077744)
same here. I wan to lose weight too. I started run every morning and keep on a healthy eating.Plus I found local beauty clinic novuskin in Denver where I want to book a few procedures of coolsculpting and body treatment. I read many positive reviews about these procedures, they can help to burn fat and get fit faster. Hope it will work for me too.

No, they won't work. For long term lower body fat % you need to change your diet. And that's hard. I wanted to lose 1-2kg compared to last year, which was already pretty low for an amateur cyclists, and it was tough. For some weeks I went hungry multiple times throughout the day, until my body got used to it. In order to keep it low I still sometimes do, though a lot less than during the loss phase. I also watch out more what I eat and that takes some effort. Key also is not having candies in the house. Period. I have a pretty good mental resilience, but without hesitation if there is chocolate in the house I eat it. No chance. Don't rely on "procedures".

Unless of course this was an odd plug for that clinic...