Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Pills and Ills (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   any post prostate surgery riders (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1229136)

thehammerdog 04-26-21 04:14 PM

any post prostate surgery riders

Got the bad news about my need for prostate cancer surgery in june. I was wondering if anyone had same and what if any impact on riding habits post surgery.
thanks.

Bassmanbob 04-26-21 06:56 PM

Godspeed on your recovery and a cancer free future. I had the prostate scare a couple of months ago, but my biopsy was negative.

woodcraft 04-26-21 09:11 PM

A guy in my club had his prostate removed. He's doing well and puts in a lot of miles on the bike.

debade 04-26-21 09:12 PM

I had an enlarge prostate and had the Green Light laser surgery. No issues biking. I hope all goes well with you!

Hermes 04-26-21 10:39 PM

Moved to Pills and Ills. Good luck with your treatment.

OldTryGuy 04-28-21 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by thehammerdog (Post 22032721)
Got the bad news about my need for prostate cancer surgery in june. I was wondering if anyone had same and what if any impact on riding habits post surgery.
thanks.

6 years ago this month I began treating my PCa (Prostate Cancer). As far as riding, I only completed 154 miles of the One Day Cross Florida 167 miles a couple of weeks ago. Wicked wind/rain and drop in temperature hit at the 145 mile mark. Had to call wife to pick me up and I spent 1/2 hour in HOT shower at motel warming up. Just rode 102 miles overnight for the FULL MOON on Monday.

Not meaning to pry BUT, have you had a 2nd opinion on your biopsy results by Dr. Epstein ( https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/prof...nathan-epstein ) ???? Do not proceed without a 2nd opinion.

thehammerdog 04-28-21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 22035954)
6 years ago this month I began treating my PCa (Prostate Cancer). As far as riding, I only completed 154 miles of the One Day Cross Florida 167 miles a couple of weeks ago. Wicked wind/rain and drop in temperature hit at the 145 mile mark. Had to call wife to pick me up and I spent 1/2 hour in HOT shower at motel warming up. Just rode 102 miles overnight for the FULL MOON on Monday.

Not meaning to pry BUT, have you had a 2nd opinion on your biopsy results by Dr. Epstein ( https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/prof...nathan-epstein ) ???? Do not proceed without a 2nd opinion.

Just had a MRI tumor ..biopsy next week.
​​​​​​I suppose that will be the definitive assessment.

OldTryGuy 04-28-21 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by thehammerdog (Post 22036018)
Just had a MRI tumor ..biopsy next week.
​​​​​​I suppose that will be the definitive assessment.

Until BIOPSY RESULTS are in, do not freak out.

BTW, not sure how much research you have done, but just because the MRI might show something it DOES NOT MEAN 100% PCa is present. ALSO, viewing the following and other videos will help explain things many times FAR BETTER than doctors being seen do for their patients >>>

BTW #2 >> I am a 5+5, Gleason 10, only 5 men in 100 diagnosed with PCa are this bad high.

thehammerdog 04-28-21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 22036031)

BTW, not sure how much research you have done, but just because the MRI might show something it DOES NOT MEAN 100% PCa is present. ALSO, viewing the following and other videos will help explain things many times FAR BETTER than doctors being seen do for their patients >>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNn0tuI5QM

I appreciate the info.
thank you.

thehammerdog 04-28-21 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 22036031)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNn0tuI5QM

I appreciate the info.
thank you.

zandoval 04-28-21 08:11 PM

I've been closely followed for prostate cancer several years now. No surgery yet. My Doc's have advised me that I may need to wait several months before riding again once I get surgery. That is unless I choose to stay off the seat when I'm ridding... Ha

I fondly remember the days I could go for miles without touching the seat.

I've got my head wrapped around this PCa thing pretty well. I am almost anxious to get it out and be done with it before it spreads more, but so far my biopsy's are steady at a Gleason 6. So no surgery yet...

OldTryGuy 04-28-21 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by zandoval (Post 22036109)
I've been closely followed for prostate cancer several years now. No surgery yet. My Doc's have advised me that I may need to wait several months before riding again once I get surgery. That is unless I choose to stay off the seat when I'm ridding... Ha

I fondly remember the days I could go for miles without touching the seat.

I've got my head wrapped around this PCa thing pretty well. I am almost anxious to get it out and be done with it before it spreads more, but so far my biopsy's are steady at a Gleason 6. So no surgery yet...

ADVICE FOR 3+3, please view the following and other related information by Dr. Klotz since he is one of the most knowledgeable 3+3 and 3+4 Active Surveillance advocators >>>

Klotz, Laurence. “Active Surveillance 2021 – Imaging and Biomarkers” February 2021. Accessed Apr 2021. https://grandroundsinurology.com/act...nd-biomarkers/

Trsnrtr 05-01-21 06:00 AM

I had surgery 18 years ago today for advanced cancer which meant a lot of margin was removed. I didn’t go near a bike saddle fo 4 months because of a “hollow” spot in my perineal area.

I was told then that the pathology report indicated that some of those little idiot cancer cells had probably already escaped to parts unknown. They were right. I’ve been fighting flare ups of the cancer ever since and am now metastatic stage 4 in my lymph system.

xenabr549 05-01-21 06:23 AM

Had mine removed October 2020, had all winter to recover, I did ride my exercise bike abut a month after surgery, no issues..

OldTryGuy 05-01-21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22039505)
I had surgery 18 years ago today for advanced cancer which meant a lot of margin was removed. I didn’t go near a bike saddle fo 4 months because of a “hollow” spot in my perineal area.

I was told then that the pathology report indicated that some of those little idiot cancer cells had probably already escaped to parts unknown. They were right. I’ve been fighting flare ups of the cancer ever since and am now metastatic stage 4 in my lymph system.

Saddened to read your reply. 18 years ago IS AN ETERNITY when dealing with PCa and the advances that have been made. Often past treatments were too much or too little and too invasive when not really required.

Today there are many more new tools in the shed for treatment so I hope you have kept up with the advancing protocols.

Trsnrtr 05-01-21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 22040022)
Saddened to read your reply. 18 years ago IS AN ETERNITY when dealing with PCa and the advances that have been made. Often past treatments were too much or too little and too invasive when not really required.

Today there are many more new tools in the shed for treatment so I hope you have kept up with the advancing protocols.

Yep, got a good oncologist. Everything is stable at the moment due to quarterly Eligard injections. I have semi-annual scans the end of this month.

Cougrrcj 05-01-21 10:07 PM

I had my cancerous prostate removed in 2011, at age 53. Mine was the very rare rapid-growing PCa. First sign of trouble was my routine PSA test in late April. My PSA level had doubled from 1.2 to 2.4 in just one year - still within the normal range for a person of my age, but the RATE of increase was a red flag... A second PSA test was performed six weeks later to confirm the elevated level - and it was already at 3.0... Needle biopsy two weeks later confirmed PCa in half the gland. My surgery to remove the prostate was at the end of August. Post surgery analysis had the cancer throughout the prostate and about to escape... That was just FOUR MONTHS from 'maybe' to 'seriously life-threatening!'

Anyway, my late August surgery meant that the normal 6-8-week recovery took me until the end of the normal riding season here. The next spring I got back on the bike and it felt like any other first ride of the season after six months of no riding... 6-8 week recovery because my job required being able to lift up to 120 pounds.

Good luck with yours!!!

05 fuji 05-02-21 05:13 PM

My Dr. recommended I wait 3 months to resume riding. I did and bought a new bike to enjoy that first ride! No issues.

Jmpierce 05-26-21 03:35 PM

Prostate surgery in 2012. Have been riding ever since till my hip surgery two weeks ago. I don't remember how long was before I started riding again. I haven't ridden any centuries but I have ridden some 60 milers.