Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

DougRNS 09-20-21 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22238029)
Today is day one of my lunch plan. I began cutting back breakfast last week. If you remember, I only ate half on Saturday and had the rest for lunch yesterday.
TTKU

Note: Velo Vol
In the past couple of years we have occasionally ordered from the kids menu or seniors menu.
#DontJudge

DougRNS 09-20-21 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22238041)
Mustard on an English muffin.

Gross.

adding dill pickles makes it a taste sensation.

Velo Vol 09-20-21 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22238051)

English muffins have only a narrow range of uses. And this isn't one of them.

Velo Vol 09-20-21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22238033)
I only managed to get on my bike once this weekend for a quick SS MTB ride. However, I did get to watch my daughter play her first softball tournament of the fall season with her 18U team. She was on FIRE at the plate. Over 4 games, she went 6-for-9 with 2 home runs and 4 doubles, and lead her team in RBIs (7) and runs scored (5). Unfortunately, the team struggled defensively, with uncharacteristic errors by talented players, and handed wins to the 2 teams that made it to the championship.

Could this girls team beat BillyD's team of olds?

Discuss.

genejockey 09-20-21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22237873)
No arm warmers for me unless it's really cold. Here is my guide:

63+ Jersey/shorts
55-62 add gilet
50-55 gilet plus legwarmers
40-49 armwarmers or long-sleeve jersey, leg warmers, and gilet
32-39 add another layer for torso
<32 add winter jacket (not marigold, sad.) and possibly coated tights

edit: may tweak slightly based on sun/no sun and wind speed

68+ Jersey/shorts
60-68 long sleeve jersey/armwarmers (below 62 add baselayer)
50-60 add gillet vest, knee warmers, full-finger gloves, toe booties.
40-50 jacket and tights and wool socks.
<40 ? (hardly ever that cold during daytime)

sbxx1985 09-20-21 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by laj (Post 22237393)
some people may think in black and white terms, and it's up to the radio team to paint the picture for us. Of course, if the mind is closed, there's no amount of paint that will help.

wgn.

big john 09-20-21 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22238051)

Add a slice of ham and some extra sharp cheddar and you're set.

LesterOfPuppets 09-20-21 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22238078)
Add a slice of ham and some extra sharp cheddar and you're set.

I'd rather have it with Swiss or Gruyere. Maybe pop it in the panini press for a minute...

datlas 09-20-21 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22238061)
68+ Jersey/shorts
60-68 long sleeve jersey/armwarmers (below 62 add baselayer)
50-60 add gillet vest, knee warmers, full-finger gloves, toe booties.
40-50 jacket and tights and wool socks.
<40 ? (hardly ever that cold during daytime)

Noice.

The coldest I have ridden here is approx 8F. It was sunny and not too bad, but I had to cover EVERYTHING and even needed ski goggles with my balaclava. I have no desire to break that record and nowadays will avoid riding below 15F. That said, a sunny and calm 25F degree day can be fantastic for riding, if dressed properly.

sbxx1985 09-20-21 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22237847)
It was 54° here but that was at 7:30 when I arose.

Same weather here and a beautiful morning. I wore arms.

genejockey 09-20-21 11:16 AM

When I was about to head out to Sonoma to pick up the Centurion Ironman, Mrs. GeneJockey said, "How are you going to pay for it?" (meaning what method),

I said the seller wanted cash but would take PayPal. She said, "That much cash?"

I said, "It's only $300."

She said, "OH!" She thought it was a lot more. So I told her that the blue Lotus was $150 and the red Lotus was $175. She said, "That's cheaper than some of your watches!"

So, apart from the space considerations, I think she's feeling a lot better about my purchasing old bikes. If I'd known she thought I was spending so much, maybe I'd have spent more! There was that $1000 Litespeed last month..........

Eric F 09-20-21 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22238060)
Could this girls team beat BillyD's team of olds?

Discuss.

Does BillyD's team play fastpitch or slow-pitch? If it's slow-pitch, both teams will probably struggle with hitting the other team's style of pitching. I suspect the girls will adapt quicker, however. Either way, I'm putting my money on the girls.

Eric F 09-20-21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22238083)
Noice.

The coldest I have ridden here is approx 8F. It was sunny and not too bad, but I had to cover EVERYTHING and even needed ski goggles with my balaclava. I have no desire to break that record and nowadays will avoid riding below 15F. That said, a sunny and calm 25F degree day can be fantastic for riding, if dressed properly.

If it's below 40F, I'm staying on the couch.

sbxx1985 09-20-21 11:24 AM

I've been eating one meal a day (dinner) since the beginning of the year. I like it. I can usually fast for the day and eat dinner without being too hungry or overeating.

Mojo31 09-20-21 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22238101)
I've been eating one meal a day (dinner) since the beginning of the year. I like it. I can usually fast for the day and eat dinner without being too hungry or overeating.

You need more clients so you can afford more meals.

If you ever want to be a fat cat.

genejockey 09-20-21 11:30 AM

Noice.

I have ridden in temps as low as about 30 or so - or at least, it was that cold on part of the route I rode. But I was a younger man, and I used to ride in the AM before work.

Probably the worst cold-related time on a bike I can remember was January 1, 2000, when I decided to ring in the Millennium* with a ride up Mt Hamilton. It was about 40-45 degrees, so I had on tights, toe booties, jacket, thermal skull cap, etc. I had NO PROBLEM staying warm on the climb. The last mile or so was kind of foggy and damp. I got to the top, where it was in the 30s. I joined a bunch of similarly-mined cyclists in the only building that was open - the Post Office lobby - trying to warm up. Heading down, it was foggy and damp the first 3 miles at least, plus there was sand and gravel on the insides of most of the turns, and my hands - even in thermal gloves - became useless claws. I had sweated so much on the climb that all my clothes were almost dripping wet, and the damp fog only exacerbated that, so I was cold all over, and miserable. I ended up enjoying the climb a lot more than the descent!

*Okay, not REALLY the Millennium, but when everyone celebrated it.

DougRNS 09-20-21 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22238058)
English muffins have only a narrow range of uses. And this isn't one of them.

Not in my world.

DougRNS 09-20-21 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22238113)
I have ridden in temps as low as about 30 or so - or at least, it was that cold on part of the route I rode. But I was a younger man, and I used to ride in the AM before work.

Probably the worst cold-related time on a bike I can remember was January 1, 2000, when I decided to ring in the Millennium* with a ride up Mt Hamilton. It was about 40-45 degrees, so I had on tights, toe booties, jacket, thermal skull cap, etc. I had NO PROBLEM staying warm on the climb. The last mile or so was kind of foggy and damp. I got to the top, where it was in the 30s. I joined a bunch of similarly-mined cyclists in the only building that was open - the Post Office lobby - trying to warm up. Heading down, it was foggy and damp the first 3 miles at least, plus there was sand and gravel on the insides of most of the turns, and my hands - even in thermal gloves - became useless claws. I had sweated so much on the climb that all my clothes were almost dripping wet, and the damp fog only exacerbated that, so I was cold all over, and miserable. I ended up enjoying the climb a lot more than the descent!

way tfl;dr

datlas 09-20-21 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22238113)

Did you make it to the NEWMANIUM party??

genejockey 09-20-21 11:33 AM

If I tried that, I'd be grumpy and irascible for most of the day.

genejockey 09-20-21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22238118)
way tfl;dr

Magazine articles must be a challenge for you, then.

datlas 09-20-21 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22238121)
If I tried that, I'd be grumpy and irascible for most of the day.

So a lateral move? :innocent: :D

Velo Vol 09-20-21 11:38 AM

That said, a sunny and calm 25F degree day can be fantastic for riding, if dressed properly.

No.

I do that every now and then. Most days are two meals.

datlas 09-20-21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22238128)
No.

Talk to your polar bear cousins for a second opinion.

genejockey 09-20-21 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22238124)
So a lateral move? :innocent: :D

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e834287711.jpg