Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

sbxx1985 09-20-21 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22238110)
You need more clients so you can afford more meals.

If you ever want to be a fat cat.

I had some bad cases that had been going on since 2019 finally get dismissed the beginning of the summer. The last one got dismissed the Thursday before trial as the 60 jury questionnaires were being uploaded to the court file. I'm not taking those cases anymore, regardless of money. I basically took the summer off and did lots of camping.

Now I only take nice clients with cases I like.

sbxx1985 09-20-21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22238121)
If I tried that, I'd be grumpy and irascible for most of the day.

Tuesdays are long days because we have football practice at 6:00 p.m. and don't get home until about 8:00 p.m. I have to be careful not to yell at the kids because I'm hangry.

Velo Vol 09-20-21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22238132)
Talk to your polar bear cousins for a second opinion.

Everyone has their crazy cousins.

Mojo31 09-20-21 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22238178)
I had some bad cases that had been going on since 2019 finally get dismissed the beginning of the summer. The last one got dismissed the Thursday before trial as the 60 jury questionnaires were being uploaded to the court file. I'm not taking those cases anymore, regardless of money. I basically took the summer off and did lots of camping.

Now I only take nice clients with cases I like.

I try to only take clients with money to spend. ;)

datlas 09-20-21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22238185)
Everyone has their crazy cousins.

I am thinking that's what they say about you.

BillyD 09-20-21 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22237953)
no. Sporadically. I'm on a 30 min walking schedule now since my left foot can tolerate it. Also eating mustard and pickle sandwiches on wheat English Muffin to try to lose some weight.since I'm a fatty and out of control.
#DontJudge

Lose the bread, bro. That English muffin is not your friend. Bread = carbs = sugar.

Mojo31 09-20-21 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22238207)

Everyone who has a crazy cousin is a crazy cousin. Just depends on your perspective.

BillyD 09-20-21 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22238033)
I only managed to get on my bike once this weekend for a quick SS MTB ride. However, I did get to watch my daughter play her first softball tournament of the fall season with her 18U team. She was on FIRE at the plate. Over 4 games, she went 6-for-9 with 2 home runs and 4 doubles, and lead her team in RBIs (7) and runs scored (5). Unfortunately, the team struggled defensively, with uncharacteristic errors by talented players, and handed wins to the 2 teams that made it to the championship.

Sounds like my team, please share my sympathies.

We had a game today but I couldn’t play without my new eyeglasses so I stayed away. I think they lost, I haven’t gotten any texts.

big john 09-20-21 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22238113)

Probably the worst cold-related time on a bike I can remember was January 1, 2000, when I decided to ring in the Millennium* with a ride up Mt Hamilton..

My coldest day was a mountain bike ride up a rough 8 mile climb. It started out sunny but chilly, I had shorts and short sleeve jersey and no extra layers, but climbing makes you warm, so i went up several miles until the clouds came in and the temp dropped and it started snowing. Nothing quite like being wet and descending in the cold. Hypothermic at the bottom and I was sick for a couple weeks.

After that I carried extra layers when climbing in cold weather. I sweat so much when climbing even in the 30s so I'm always soaking wet when the descents come after a long climb.

BillyD 09-20-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22238060)
Could this girls team beat BillyD's team of olds?

Discuss.

Prolly. Old is a *****, and girls can play.

BillyD 09-20-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22238095)
Does BillyD's team play fastpitch or slow-pitch? If it's slow-pitch, both teams will probably struggle with hitting the other team's style of pitching. I suspect the girls will adapt quicker, however. Either way, I'm putting my money on the girls.

We play slow pitch, all they have to do is play deeper than usual. Their best bet is to hit hot grounders, most of these old bastids can’t bend down while moving. :lol:
#noflexibility #nocorestrength

seedsbelize2 09-20-21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22238099)
If it's below 40F 60F, I'm staying on the couch.

Fixed for me

genejockey 09-20-21 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22238215)
My coldest day was a mountain bike ride up a rough 8 mile climb. It started out sunny but chilly, I had shorts and short sleeve jersey and no extra layers, but climbing makes you warm, so i went up several miles until the clouds came in and the temp dropped and it started snowing. Nothing quite like being wet and descending in the cold. Hypothermic at the bottom and I was sick for a couple weeks.

After that I carried extra layers when climbing in cold weather. I sweat so much when climbing even in the 30s so I'm always soaking wet when the descents come after a long climb.

I am so used to my clothes drying in the first half mile of a descent that it was quite a surprise to arrive at the bottom as wet as I started at the top, without being rained on.

Eric F 09-20-21 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22238238)
We play slow pitch, all they have to do is play deeper than usual. Their best bet is to hit hot grounders, most of these old bastids can’t bend down while moving. :lol:

Is bunting a thing at all in slow-pitch? For fastpitch, it's an important part of the game.

DougRNS 09-20-21 12:42 PM

That's not a problem for me.:innocent:

big john 09-20-21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22238091)
When I was about to head out to Sonoma to pick up the Centurion Ironman, Mrs. GeneJockey said, "How are you going to pay for it?" (meaning what method),

I said the seller wanted cash but would take PayPal. She said, "That much cash?"

I said, "It's only $300."

She said, "OH!" She thought it was a lot more. So I told her that the blue Lotus was $150 and the red Lotus was $175. She said, "That's cheaper than some of your watches!"

So, apart from the space considerations, I think she's feeling a lot better about my purchasing old bikes. If I'd known she thought I was spending so much, maybe I'd have spent more! There was that $1000 Litespeed last month..........

Sounds like a big green light to me.

genejockey 09-20-21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22238266)
Sounds like a big green light to me.

Money-wise, maybe. Space-wise, I'm running out of places to put bikes. The only reason there's room for the Ironman is because the Bianchi is still in the shop.

sbxx1985 09-20-21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22238207)

Yes.

Mojo31 09-20-21 01:05 PM

Laughed more than I should have at that.

sbxx1985 09-20-21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22238221)
Prolly. Old is a *****, and girls can play.

My wife has been on me about stretching for years. I know more about me, of course.

We were doing situational drills last spring and I was running the bases. Sprint, stop, sprint, stop. All of a sudden things felt weird in my right quad and right knee with the torn PCL. The next day I couldn't walk and that mess continued until a few weeks ago. MRI and physical therapy and now I can bend my right knee enough to ride a bike. Getting old sucks.

Mojo31 09-20-21 01:11 PM

It's better than not getting old.

datlas 09-20-21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22238209)
Lose the bread, bro. That English muffin is not your friend. Bread = carbs = sugar.

Correct. I advise my patients to cut their carbs in HALF.

datlas 09-20-21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22238243)
Fixed for me

You should have said hammock instead of couch for full accuracy. Right?

Velo Vol 09-20-21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22238255)
That's not a problem for me.:innocent:

Almost forgot, been spending quality time on the back-stretching rack?

genejockey 09-20-21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22238300)
Correct. I advise my patients to cut their carbs in HALF.

I do that. Then I eat both halves.