Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 03-06-22 03:58 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22430469)
Probably to add to the airport decor.

Icing on the cake.

BillyD 03-06-22 04:11 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22430124)

I agree, the blue one will look better in natural daylight instead of that fancy dancey studio lighting which can make even trash look glamorous.

datlas 03-06-22 04:16 PM

I spent some time stripping the Habanero and now it’s ready to be power-washed before I put the new Ultegra R8000 groupset on it.

The only real struggle was getting the BB off, I have the 10s tool but there is a newer 11s BB I installed about 4 years ago and you have to use a stupid ring adapter, so the mating of tool and cup was not ideal. I managed, but am considering getting a new BB wrench for future use.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...084c1b3a0.jpeg

BillyD 03-06-22 04:16 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22430094)
Same


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22430160)
Same

Same.

genejockey 03-06-22 04:17 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22430479)
Agree, but have to have silver bars with a silver stem.

Ideally, but if you already have a black bar with the levers on, the cables run, and then wrapped, it's not worth undoing all that for the 2" of silver bar on either side of the stem.

Mojo31 03-06-22 04:21 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22430496)
I agree, the blue one will look better in natural daylight instead of that fancy dancey studio lighting which can make even trash look glamorous.

That may not even be a real bike. Could just be a rendering.

genejockey 03-06-22 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22430500)
I spent some time stripping the Habanero and now itís ready to be power-washed before I put the new Ultegra R8000 groupset on it.

The only real struggle was getting the BB off, I have the 10s tool but there is a newer 11s BB I installed about 4 years ago and you have to use a stupid ring adapter, so the mating of tool and cup was not ideal. I managed, but am considering getting a new BB wrench for future use.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...084c1b3a0.jpeg

I was originally thinking of building the Litespeed with 8000. Make it the Ultegra Ultimate. Ultegrimate? But I'm happy with it as it is.

Mojo31 03-06-22 04:29 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22430503)
Ideally, but if you already have a black bar with the levers on, the cables run, and then wrapped, it's not worth undoing all that for the 2" of silver bar on either side of the stem.

Disagree. If you are going to do it you have to go all the way.

Otherwise, itís like driving around with just primer on the front left fender.

big john 03-06-22 04:33 PM

Club #2 was having a ride up a local canyon. It gradually gets steeper as you climb, then a false summit and then a steep climb. There was a B group but I wanted a little more than what they were doing. The leaders of the faster group told me not to worry, they wouldn't be hammering. Yeah, I never heard that one before.

We lost the B group early on, then a few others vanished out the back. Finally, I got dropped on a steeper pitch and considered turning around until I saw I was catching another guy who was shelled by the leaders. This guy is usually a fast climber and when I caught up he said he was tired and hadn't been on the bike. Having him to talk to I kept going until the false summit, about 15 miles in. Of course, when I turned around there was headwind. Now I want a nap.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...Iw&oe=622A770F
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...kw&oe=6229F3ED
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...WA&oe=622A4B87

Mojo31 03-06-22 04:38 PM

BigJohn let the girl with pig tails drop him? 😜

Bah Humbug 03-06-22 04:53 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22430219)
Slow is relative. Many would think an 8:45 pace is trucking

I used to have trouble going that slow...

big john 03-06-22 04:55 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22430518)
BigJohn let the girl with pig tails drop him? 😜

Wouldn't be the first time I was dropped by pigtails. Not today, though. That girl is the daughter of the club president and I think she is 14 or 15. She and her mother ride in the B group. The kid is always smiling and seems to really enjoy the rides. She hikes with her mom, too.

Bah Humbug 03-06-22 04:58 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22430469)
Probably to add to the airport decor.

A doggie bag for Blucifer.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4be466c670.jpg

genejockey 03-06-22 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22430506)
That may not even be a real bike. Could just be a rendering.

Oooo! We can pay thousands for a JPEG!

genejockey 03-06-22 05:18 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22430511)
Disagree. If you are going to do it you have to go all the way.

Otherwise, itís like driving around with just primer on the front left fender.

The way I look at it, you're matching the bar color to the bar tape, instead of the stem.

abshipp 03-06-22 05:27 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22430407)
Polished stem, spacers and seatpost would look quite good. Bars are optional, though it sounds like you're changing them. The black post clamp and steer tube cap will look good with it all.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm playing the fun game of trying to figure out what my options are in silver, then I get to play the even more fun game of finding out what's in stock :rolleyes:

Ideally I want to keep everything the same brand but I know that might be unrealistic. Whisky makes polished bars and stems but not seatposts. Ritchey makes all three but might be a little tough to source. Thompson does all three but not sure if they do silver bars, plus they are $$$$$$ and I hate the look of their setback posts. I really wish the Zipp Service Course wasn't a matte finish.

Maybe Soma would be an option, I know I liked the Highway One bars from them.

I think I would try and get a silver cap for underneath the spacers and a silver seatpost clamp. Not a dealbreaker but I think it would help make things look more cohesive.


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22430479)
Agree, but have to have silver bars with a silver stem.

Yep.


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22430503)
Ideally, but if you already have a black bar with the levers on, the cables run, and then wrapped, it's not worth undoing all that for the 2" of silver bar on either side of the stem.

I'm still fairly accustomed to running quill stems where you've got to undo everything all the time regardless :lol:

datlas 03-06-22 05:28 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22430516)
Club #2 was having a ride up a local canyon. It gradually gets steeper as you climb, then a false summit and then a steep climb. There was a B group but I wanted a little more than what they were doing. The leaders of the faster group told me not to worry, they wouldn't be hammering. Yeah, I never heard that one before.

We lost the B group early on, then a few others vanished out the back. Finally, I got dropped on a steeper pitch and considered turning around until I saw I was catching another guy who was shelled by the leaders. This guy is usually a fast climber and when I caught up he said he was tired and hadn't been on the bike. Having him to talk to I kept going until the false summit, about 15 miles in. Of course, when I turned around there was headwind. Now I want a nap.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...Iw&oe=622A770F
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...kw&oe=6229F3ED
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...WA&oe=622A4B87

kudos. Which canyon/hillclimb??

indyfabz 03-06-22 05:29 PM

Got my grill on.


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cd9a6ffc3.jpeg

genejockey 03-06-22 05:33 PM

I just did my usual Sunday route today, with slight modifications, but I stopped at the same place I always do. This time, though, I used my multitool to tighten the bolts on my cleats, since I've been getting an occasional creak from the left side. It worked, BTW.

The grass and other plants are still green and have been growing rapidly. and the deciduous oaks are leafing out. You can tell them because they're bright green versus the darker green of the Live Oaks.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8d8f787ca2.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb9d55df36.jpg

LAJ 03-06-22 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22430565)
Appreciate the feedback. I'm playing the fun game of trying to figure out what my options are in silver, then I get to play the even more fun game of finding out what's in stock :rolleyes:

Ideally I want to keep everything the same brand but I know that might be unrealistic. Whisky makes polished bars and stems but not seatposts. Ritchey makes all three but might be a little tough to source. Thompson does all three but not sure if they do silver bars, plus they are $$$$$$ and I hate the look of their setback posts. I really wish the Zipp Service Course wasn't a matte finish.

Maybe Soma would be an option, I know I liked the Highway One bars from them.

I think I would try and get a silver cap for underneath the spacers and a silver seatpost clamp. Not a dealbreaker but I think it would help make things look more cohesive.



Yep.



I'm still fairly accustomed to running quill stems where you've got to undo everything all the time regardless :lol:

It's not important to be the same brand, unless it is to you. Thomson stems are garbage, and the setback post looks like ass, so you're good there. Carbon bars aren't polished..... I'm not sure I would ride anything but. :)

It's important for the look to not be contrived. Too matchy matchy is just too.... matchy matchy.

big john 03-06-22 06:07 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22430567)
kudos. Which canyon/hillclimb??

Bouquet Canyon. Maybe 30 miles north of where you stayed.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30671427

seedsbelize2 03-06-22 06:24 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22430554)
The way I look at it, you're matching the bar color to the bar tape, instead of the stem.

You could carefully wrap some foil around that small section of the bar

LAJ 03-06-22 06:29 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22430633)
You could carefully wrap some foil around that small section of the bar

Or not.

genejockey 03-06-22 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22430633)
You could carefully wrap some foil around that small section of the bar

Or spray paint it. Nail polish?

On my bikes, the space between the tape and the stem is taken up by the Garmin mount and the headlight.

bampilot06 03-06-22 06:36 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4d271eaec.jpeg


century tomorrow. Charging all 6 essential items before hand, only have 2 plugs.

#real problems

edit: 22 mph headwind going and 22 mph crosswind coming back. Should be funÖÖÖ


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.