Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 04-20-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21429387)
Is it free now?

Negative. As in a negative price.

rjones28 04-20-20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21429145)
So, I just recieved word that my court case is over. They settled, we settled whatever. Checks in the mail....
So as promised. The damages from my accident to me physically. I broke 10 ribs on the right side and had a punctured lung that did not require the needle, thank god. Broken right clavicle, and small tear in the rotator cuff. I landed on the point of my right shoulder.
​​​​​​ . I elected to let the clavicle heal on it's own rather than have another surgery. I was told by my original Orthopod that the hardware would be permanent. I didnt like the idea of a metal plate and screws in my chest cavity with my internal organs. "What would happen if I went down again?" They didnt like that question. So no surgery for Joe.
The new Ortho, was great, told me he would have put me in the old harness but to much time had passed by then. I did a few months of P.T. I still get some real gnarley muscle spasms in my upper right back. And push ups are not real comfortable.

I did manage to scare the shirt off of the nursing staff when they were giving me a spinal block so I could breath. I passed out. Hard. I was severely dehydrated. And my blood pressure was low. When they sat me up to do the tap, lights out! Next thing I know I was being pumped full of (saline?) By I.V and shaking uncontrolably. Was frightening.

No fun.

big john 04-20-20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21429377)
So did I. I would stop for a rest and light one up. :eek:
Sometimes when I really wanted to look cool around the girls, I'd be riding and smoking at the same time. :eek: :crash:

Nothing looks cooler.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82ae1a3248.jpg

ls01 04-20-20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21429396)
No fun.

indeed

WhyFi 04-20-20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21429333)
When I started riding I used to carry cigarettes in my seat bag. Bumpy rides would shake the tobacco loose and some of it would fall out. My friend brought cigs along on our dirt bike rides and sometimes when we stopped he had a pile of loose tobacco and some hollow paper tubes.

Sometimes when I really wanted to look cool around the girls, I'd be riding and smoking at the same time. :eek: :crash:

I took my buddy on his first century last year. He took a smoke break. :backpedal:

abshipp 04-20-20 12:27 PM

Ditto.

Ride out to a forest preserve, have one or a few, then ride home.

The ride home was always more difficult. I wonder why?

WhyFi 04-20-20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21429383)
What I do get is massively tired. I don't typically plan on doing anything after any ride of more than an hour and a half. Absolutely wipes me out.

A few years ago, a 60+ mile ride used to mean that I'd need to wolf down some food and lounge the rest of the day. At this point, I can pretty much carry on as usual after rides like that. Even after 100 miles, I can usually function somewhat normally, though I might shy away from anything involving a lot of walking, like going to the zoo or the botanic garden, etc.

LesterOfPuppets 04-20-20 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21429343)
Going through hurdles can be tough. It's much better to go over them.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...62733e529e.png

Through the hoops and over the hurdles? OK I think I got this.

LesterOfPuppets 04-20-20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21429333)
When I started riding I used to carry cigarettes in my seat bag. Bumpy rides would shake the tobacco loose and some of it would fall out. My friend brought cigs along on our dirt bike rides and sometimes when we stopped he had a pile of loose tobacco and some hollow paper tubes.

I made the seat bag mistake a couple of times. Jersey or jacket pocket, or baggy shorts pocket.

I always wanted an ashtray in my steerer tube after getting my first threadless in '97.

ericy 04-20-20 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21428834)
I agree. You can talk about "re-opening" all you want, but you won't find me running out to see a movie or go to happy hour any time soon.

With inadequate testing, I don't think reopening much of anything will take place. Once they start to get a feel for how many people are truly infected, then reopening becomes possible, but the idea would be that they would need to keep a close eye on things to squash out any outbreaks.

I suspect that when they do re-open, it will be a gradual thing. Smaller groups of people first. Small restaurants first. Or maybe larger restaurants with only half of the tables in use. The last will probably be huge arenas filled with 50K people.

LAJ 04-20-20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21429357)
I have never heard anyone pronounce it that way.

Although, if I wasn't involved in cycling, I can't really imagine hearing anyone around me say the word "centimeter" at all. Living in the Midwest and in manufacturing means that my life is completely dominated by SAE measurement.

That's called "real money".

LesterOfPuppets 04-20-20 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21429371)

Would it make for a good chain lube, maybe mixed with mineral spirits? :)

abshipp 04-20-20 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21429414)
A few years ago, a 60+ mile ride used to mean that I'd need to wolf down some food and lounge the rest of the day. At this point, I can pretty much carry on as usual after rides like that. Even after 100 miles, I can usually function somewhat normally, though I might shy away from anything involving a lot of walking, like going to the zoo or the botanic garden, etc.

That would be nice.

I should probably get in better shape.

WhyFi 04-20-20 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21429426)
I suspect that when they do re-open, it will be a gradual thing. Smaller groups of people first. Small restaurants first. Or maybe larger restaurants with only half of the tables in use. The last will probably be huge arenas filled with 50K people.

Yeah, I would guess that it would stagger, but I would think that, before seating reopens at restaurants, non-essential retail operations would open - they're environments where sitting in relatively close proximity, for extended periods of time, isn't typical and it might provide a bump to the economy.

Velo Vol 04-20-20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21429439)
Would it make for a good chain lube, maybe mixed with mineral spirits? :)

How about this one?

big john 04-20-20 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21429434)
That's called "real money".

The guy who taught some of the smog classes I took was an engineer member of the SAE. The man was brilliant and was so crammed full of knowledge of cars, computers, law, and other things it was a surprise to hear him butcher the English language. He was born here so I don't know why, maybe he skipped English classes.

big john 04-20-20 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21429469)
How about this one?

Maybe they'll pay us to take it?

LAJ 04-20-20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21429477)
The guy who taught some of the smog classes I took was an engineer member of the SAE. The man was brilliant and was so crammed full of knowledge of cars, computers, law, and other things it was a surprise to hear him butcher the English language. He was born here so I don't know why, maybe he skipped English classes.

I was thinking Mike McCarthy, but he speaks well.

LesterOfPuppets 04-20-20 01:21 PM

Happy 420 to those who celebrate!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...992cb8788d.jpg

seedsbelize 04-20-20 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21429357)
I have never heard anyone pronounce it that way.

Although, if I wasn't involved in cycling, I can't really imagine hearing anyone around me say the word "centimeter" at all. Living in the Midwest and in manufacturing means that my life is completely dominated by SAE measurement.

Sad!

big john 04-20-20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21429491)
I was thinking Mike McCarthy, but he speaks well.

The coach?

seedsbelize 04-20-20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21429366)
Early shock. Take it seriously if you ever see it again.

Early shock. What does that mean? I was several hours into the process at that point, and had two doctors with me. They wouldn't recognize it? Maybe I was in shock over having a hole drilled lengthwise through my finger and a ss wire inserted. I was awake for that part, except when I fell asleep naturally. Is shock something that delays that long?

seedsbelize 04-20-20 01:31 PM

LAJ 04-20-20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21429559)
The coach?

C.A.R.B guy.

MoAlpha 04-20-20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21429560)
Early shock. What does that mean? I was several hours into the process at that point, and had two doctors with me. They wouldn't recognize it? Maybe I was in shock over having a hole drilled lengthwise through my finger and a ss wire inserted. I was awake for that part, except when I fell asleep naturally. Is shock something that delays that long?

In your case the shivering have been related to some anesthetic they gave you, but shock can occur anytime. If you were shaking uncontrollably, they should have noticed and been concerned, but surgeons are famous for clinical tunnel vision and probably wanted to git 'er done.