Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 07-20-20 12:15 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21597420)
I notice chamois cream threads every now and then. In spite of having ridden for many years I have never felt the need or desire to use it.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Right? That's what I am thinking, but I sometimes have this thing I recently learned is called FOMO*.

*Fear Of Missing Out


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21597434)
Back when we used real chamois we had to use something. I used Vaseline Intensive Care lotion. Nothing since synthetic liners came out.

I have an absolute requirement for it to reduce friction or very bad stuff happens. I think if you need it, you know it. I use a water-soluble product marketed for the purpose and just put a small dab on the contact points. The last tube I bought was the purportedly womans' version. Makes me feel...special down there.

Velo Vol 07-20-20 12:40 PM

So I mask up and enter the post office branch. There are two clerks manning the service counter. After a few minutes waiting in line, I luck out and see the one who, shortly before I got to the window, went into the side room to have a coughing spell.

I explain that I'm looking for a package, and he sends me around the corner to a "package pickup" door, where you have to ring the bell.

A couple minutes later an old lady opens the window. I say I'm looking for a package.

"Do you have a slip?"

"Nope."

I tell her my plight and she says she'll look for it, but "I've got 2,000 packages back here."

Oh.

A few minutes later she comes back and says she doesn't see it. The supervisors are locked in a room doing a conference call. (wut)

Then she says, "Every morning they ship stuff back to the big house [the main post office]. Then they get returned."

I ask how I might get the package. What if I go to the main post office and ask?

"Oh God no, there's 100,000 packages there, no one will look for it."

Welp.

Anyway, she wrote down my phone number and said she'd ask the carrier if he "remembered it" (wut).

It doesn't sound like my chances of receiving my long-awaited Taiwanese package are great.

MoAlpha 07-20-20 12:42 PM

Long-suffering spouse is calling her partners to tell them she's retiring, effective 31 Oct.

datlas 07-20-20 01:11 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21597540)
Long-suffering spouse is calling her partners to tell them she's retiring, effective 31 Oct.

I hope that's a good thing?

MoAlpha 07-20-20 01:23 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21597596)
I hope that's a good thing?

It is and she's been considering it for quite a while, but COVID-19 was the precipitating factor. She is bracing for the catastrophic reactions, since she is the the Big Mama of the group (though not the oldest) and the de facto managing partner who knows how all the financial, legal, and regulatory stuff works.

big john 07-20-20 01:28 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21597470)
. The last tube I bought was the purportedly womans' version. Makes me feel...special down there.

In touch with your feminine side?

MoAlpha 07-20-20 01:35 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21597634)
In touch with your feminine side?

Ohhhh, yesss.

MoAlpha 07-20-20 01:41 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21597534)
So I mask up and enter the post office branch. There are two clerks manning the service counter. After a few minutes waiting in line, I luck out and see the one who, shortly before I got to the window, went into the side room to have a coughing spell.

I explain that I'm looking for a package, and he sends me around the corner to a "package pickup" door, where you have to ring the bell.

A couple minutes later an old lady opens the window. I say I'm looking for a package.

"Do you have a slip?"

"Nope."

I tell her my plight and she says she'll look for it, but "I've got 2,000 packages back here."

Oh.

A few minutes later she comes back and says she doesn't see it. The supervisors are locked in a room doing a conference call. (wut)

Then she says, "Every morning they ship stuff back to the big house [the main post office]. Then they get returned."

I ask how I might get the package. What if I go to the main post office and ask?

"Oh God no, there's 100,000 packages there, no one will look for it."

Welp.

Anyway, she wrote down my phone number and said she'd ask the carrier if he "remembered it" (wut).

It doesn't sound like my chances of receiving my long-awaited Taiwanese package are great.

God, that sucks! We have bad postal service here and I have had some luck complaining to my congressperson's office, where there was a staffer with a JD whose job seemed to be "congressionaling" fed agencies on behalf of constituents. She was great at it.

LesterOfPuppets 07-20-20 01:43 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21597470)
I have an absolute requirement for it to reduce friction or very bad stuff happens. I think if you need it, you know it. I use a water-soluble product marketed for the purpose and just put a small dab on the contact points. The last tube I bought was the purportedly womans' version. Makes me feel...special down there.

I have some ladies chamois cream for special occasions. It's a nice change of pace from generic Performance Bikes tub of goo.

https://content.backcountry.com/imag...003/ONECOL.jpg

gnome 07-20-20 01:45 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21596794)
gnome I had no idea that you had that type of landscape available to you. Beautiful!

yep. A twenty minute cycle gets me to the beach. A two hour drive gets me to the mountains. It's pretty good.

MoAlpha 07-20-20 01:51 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21597680)
I have some ladies chamois cream for special occasions. It's a nice change of pace from generic Performance Bikes tub of goo.

https://content.backcountry.com/imag...003/ONECOL.jpg

I'm going to try that next!

WhyFi 07-20-20 01:52 PM

So I'm in the car, taking the kids out to a park to explore and get a little exercise. We're sitting at a light, fourth car back. Light turns green, first two cars go. Third car, just in front me, sits for about another 5 count before I give a single, brief beep. Driver finally looks up, presumably from a phone, takes their foot off the brake and flips me the bird while pulling away. One block away, at the next intersection, said car gets in to the left turn lane. All of the traffic in front of us cleared while the other driver was staring at the phone, which means that I pull right up alongside.

"Do you have a ******g problem?" the middle-aged, white lady says as I look in her direction.

"Yeah - the car in front of me wasn't paying attention and I didn't think that I'd get through that last green."

"You're a real *******, you know that? Just mind your business."

"Maybe you should pay attention to the road when you're behind the wheel."

"**** you!"

"Yeah. Have a nice day, Karen."

Oh, that one landed. That one landed squarely. It took her a second to process, but when it did, she could only manage an unhinged laugh while sporadically honking and saying, "you like that? Honk your horn! Honk your horn! Beep away!" :twitchy:

SwtBadger 07-20-20 02:04 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21597698)
Karen "**** you!"

:twitchy:

Nice role model for the kids in the back. And you all say us Badgers east of the river have issues :foo:

LesterOfPuppets 07-20-20 02:04 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21597420)
I notice chamois cream threads every now and then. In spite of having ridden for many years I have never felt the need or desire to use it.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Right? That's what I am thinking, but I sometimes have this thing I recently learned is called FOMO*.

*Fear Of Missing Out

For rides longer than an hour I'll almost always slather some on. For shorter rides, flip a coin.

SwtBadger 07-20-20 02:07 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21597420)
I notice chamois cream threads every now and then. In spite of having ridden for many years I have never felt the need or desire to use it.

At the beginning of the season any rides ~30+ miles need and then rarely thereafter depending. I try to use sparingly so as toughed that area up. My pedal stroke must not be even as only need on one side.

MoAlpha 07-20-20 02:14 PM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21597726)
At the beginning of the season any rides ~30+ miles need and then rarely thereafter depending. I try to use sparingly so as toughed that area up. My pedal stroke must not be even as only need on one side.

I sit lopsided or twisted on the saddle too. Most of the pressure is on the left, but I sometimes it's the opposite. Hard to figure out.

The old-time tailors used to say a man "dressed" left or right depending on how his gentleman parts hung, and cut or alter his trousers accordingly. Perhaps I need bespoke chamois.

WhyFi 07-20-20 02:24 PM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21597720)
Nice role model for the kids in the back. And you all say us Badgers east of the river have issues :foo:

There are Karens and ______s (why isn't there a male counterpart, yet?) everywhere, unfortunately.

Velo Vol 07-20-20 02:33 PM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21597720)
Nice role model for the kids in the back. And you all say us Badgers east of the river have issues :foo:

Such anger.

Bah Humbug 07-20-20 02:34 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21597759)
There are Karens and ______s (why isn't there a male counterpart, yet?) everywhere, unfortunately.

There are Chads, though that's different. The real answer to your question is that men who feel the same feelings as Karens don't just call the cops on their targets, so they don't get cute social media names.

Bah Humbug 07-20-20 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21597740)
I sit lopsided or twisted on the saddle too. Most of the pressure is on the left, but I sometimes it's the opposite. Hard to figure out.

The old-time tailors used to say a man "dressed" left or right depending on how his gentleman parts hung, and cut or alter his trousers accordingly. Perhaps I need bespoke chamois.

ISM instructs that the saddle should usually be rotated slightly. Sadly, these days that's usually not possible even on non-aero bikes.

Bah Humbug 07-20-20 02:37 PM


Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21597726)
At the beginning of the season any rides ~30+ miles need and then rarely thereafter depending. I try to use sparingly so as toughed that area up. My pedal stroke must not be even as only need on one side.

I can get away without for short enough rides and low enough total volume. Exceed either, and issues creep in.

MoAlpha 07-20-20 02:53 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21597781)
ISM instructs that the saddle should usually be rotated slightly. Sadly, these days that's usually not possible even on non-aero bikes.

Can you point me to the info?

Velo Vol 07-20-20 02:57 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21597674)
God, that sucks! We have bad postal service here and I have had some luck complaining to my congressperson's office, where there was a staffer with a JD whose job seemed to be "congressionaling" fed agencies on behalf of constituents. She was great at it.

You contacted your Congress Critter over mail delivery?

It seems weird to me that going into the PO the next business day after attempted delivery would be too late to get your package, but what do I know? Unless the woman didn't want to bother with finding it.

In the event that it's gone back somewhere, anywhere to go on eBay to get refund or another shipment?

berner 07-20-20 02:58 PM

I've been gone for a few days but I'm glad to see y'all carried on as usual, here in the Cult Compound.

datlas 07-20-20 02:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback on chamois cream, gang. I am fine without it so far...will file in the back of my mind to consider it only if I run into, ahem, problems.

kissTheApex 07-20-20 02:59 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21597168)
The most efficient person I know is my wife. Last February she did a business trip to Hawaii, then Seattle, then WV over 9 days and managed to only need a single carry on.

Does not compute...

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21597534)

It doesn't sound like my chances of receiving my long-awaited Taiwanese package are great.

Maybe you can go dumpster diving at the old address to retrieve the discarded slip? :innocent:


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21597759)
There are Karens and ______s (why isn't there a male counterpart, yet?) everywhere, unfortunately.


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21597779)
There are Chads, though that's different. The real answer to your question is that men who feel the same feelings as Karens don't just call the cops on their targets, so they don't get cute social media names.

I thought they were called Ken??

Bah Humbug 07-20-20 03:02 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21597821)
Can you point me to the info?

They appear to have removed it from their setup guide, but for posterity:

https://ismseat.com/help/setup-guide/

It may now be in one of the videos, but I didn't watch them. They listed it as the last step a few years ago.

MoAlpha 07-20-20 03:03 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21597829)
You contacted your Congress Critter over mail delivery?

No delivery for four days will drive a man to desperate acts. I’ve complained to them more than once about the USPS.

I’ve gone to them about an FBI security investigation for my daughter and when my retired pay got screwed up. That’s what they’re there for!

seedsbelize 07-20-20 03:08 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21597540)
Long-suffering spouse is calling her partners to tell them she's retiring, effective 31 Oct.

Triple kudos

MoAlpha 07-20-20 03:11 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21597846)
They appear to have removed it from their setup guide, but for posterity:

https://ismseat.com/help/setup-guide/

It may now be in one of the videos, but I didn't watch them. They listed it as the last step a few years ago.

Im going to obsess about that now! I would love to use chamois crme because of how it makes me feel, not to avoid chafe!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.