Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

WhyFi 11-19-21 10:45 AM

Major pre-Black Friday score for WhyFi Wood Works - new benchtop thickness planer. :bday:

A local retailer is promoting a deep discount on the machine, but they're not carrying it in stock, they're back-ordered by a few weeks, and it's being drop-shipped (with a not-insignificant shipping fee) from the manufacturer. I went to my preferred shop and asked if they were doing any kind of a deal on it, not expecting a match, but hoping for a little break. The guy that I spoke with wasn't aware of the deal at the other shop, so I filled him in with all of the above details. His response was no, they're not doing any kind of match or discount. Cool - no harm, no foul.

I obviously decided to look around the toy store, since I was there, and a few minutes later, the salesman comes back and says, "I'm actually kind of surprised, but we'll match that price. We have one in stock - do you want it?"

I tried not to throw up red flags by looking stunned - instant gratification and I don't have to pay the heavy shipping fee? "Oh, cool. Yeah - I'll do that." :lol:

Eric F 11-19-21 10:54 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22313359)
A friend who is an ex pro started the ride 40ish years ago.

Thurlow?

WhyFi 11-19-21 10:56 AM

Speaking of Hot Deals, Rapha has a nice deal going on their Core Flyweight jerseys - two for $120 (they're normally $80 each). I saw this right after placing an order on some other stuff and was temped to get a couple of these, too. Hell, I still might.... :foo:

big john 11-19-21 10:57 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22313355)
How is Highway 2 for riding? Google street view suggests minimal shoulder. Much traffic??

There isn't much shoulder for most of it and traffic is the worst on the lower 9 mile section from Highway 210 up to Clear Creek. In the summer we like to drive up to the turn off for Mount Wilson and ride from there. Traffic is light after that most of the time. There are some car clubs sometimes and motorcycles, too. Those drivers are usually pretty cool. The worst is after a snow storm if the gates are open. Then you get a lot of knuckleheads looking for snow who may not have the skill to be driving up there. Last summer was crazy with the pandemic closures. Lots of racers driving too fast.
I have been up there a lot and I love the road. 100 feet per mile just about every ride but nothing too steep and when it's quiet it's great. There are gates at various places and when any of the gates are closed it's the best.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e5a8651e1c.jpg

big john 11-19-21 10:58 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22313375)
Thurlow?

No, Ron Skarin started the ride. He's a bit older than Thurlow. He's even older than I am.

Mojo31 11-19-21 11:00 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22313365)
Major pre-Black Friday score for WhyFi Wood Works - new benchtop thickness planer. :bday:

A local retailer is promoting a deep discount on the machine, but they're not carrying it in stock, they're back-ordered by a few weeks, and it's being drop-shipped (with a not-insignificant shipping fee) from the manufacturer. I went to my preferred shop and asked if they were doing any kind of a deal on it, not expecting a match, but hoping for a little break. The guy that I spoke with wasn't aware of the deal at the other shop, so I filled him in with all of the above details. His response was no, they're not doing any kind of match or discount. Cool - no harm, no foul.

I obviously decided to look around the toy store, since I was there, and a few minutes later, the salesman comes back and says, "I'm actually kind of surprised, but we'll match that price. We have one in stock - do you want it?"

I tried not to throw up red flags by looking stunned - instant gratification and I don't have to pay the heavy shipping fee? "Oh, cool. Yeah - I'll do that." :lol:

It never hurts to ask!

Last weekend we bought some glass pieces for the house. Since it was a pretty big spend, I asked the shop owner for a 15% discount. He said okay without any questioning. Ended up getting one piece for free essentially. My wife was surprised. She just doesn't understand that everything is negotiable, and the worst they can say is "no."

Eric F 11-19-21 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22313381)
No, Ron Skarin started the ride. He's a bit older than Thurlow. He's even older than I am.

Ahh. Thanks for the correction. That's not a name I'm familiar with. Thurlow used to rip our legs off at the Tues/Thurs Rose Bowl ride. Fun times.

big john 11-19-21 11:13 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22313355)
How is Highway 2 for riding? Google street view suggests minimal shoulder. Much traffic??

More Highway 2:.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...36a04c256a.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2b570d42f5.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...81608034c2.jpg

rjones28 11-19-21 11:16 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22313361)
I'd do that in a heartbeat - if it paid enough.

There is a new guy in the LBS that I've been getting to know. He's about my age and must be retired from some other career because he has a plane and a Porsche that he tracks. Can't imagine a Trek store pays enough to support those hobbies.

I only work 20 or so hours a week in the Summer. I'm not there for the money. My main gig allows me to have a flexible schedule.

big john 11-19-21 11:19 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22313388)
Ahh. Thanks for the correction. That's not a name I'm familiar with. Thurlow used to rip our legs off at the Tues/Thurs Rose Bowl ride. Fun times.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8916cb134e.jpg

datlas 11-19-21 11:20 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22313379)
There isn't much shoulder for most of it and traffic is the worst on the lower 9 mile section from Highway 210 up to Clear Creek. In the summer we like to drive up to the turn off for Mount Wilson and ride from there. Traffic is light after that most of the time. There are some car clubs sometimes and motorcycles, too. Those drivers are usually pretty cool. The worst is after a snow storm if the gates are open. Then you get a lot of knuckleheads looking for snow who may not have the skill to be driving up there. Last summer was crazy with the pandemic closures. Lots of racers driving too fast.
I have been up there a lot and I love the road. 100 feet per mile just about every ride but nothing too steep and when it's quiet it's great. There are gates at various places and when any of the gates are closed it's the best.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e5a8651e1c.jpg

So 100 feet/mile is perfect for me. I had bad experiences riding the PCH from Santa Monica to Topanga Canyon this past summer. The area by the Getty Mansion was especially unnerving as there was lots of traffic at highway speed and minimal shoulder. I do not recommend it unless absolutely necessary.

big john 11-19-21 11:24 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22313408)
So 100 feet/mile is perfect for me. I had bad experiences riding the PCH from Santa Monica to Topanga Canyon this past summer. The area by the Getty Mansion was especially unnerving as there was lots of traffic at highway speed and minimal shoulder. I do not recommend it unless absolutely necessary.

I know. That's why I suggested picking you up and driving past that section. The logistics didn't work out, though.

big john 11-19-21 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22313408)
So 100 feet/mile is perfect for me. I had bad experiences riding the PCH from Santa Monica to Topanga Canyon this past summer. The area by the Getty Mansion was especially unnerving as there was lots of traffic at highway speed and minimal shoulder. I do not recommend it unless absolutely necessary.

1 more from the high point on the 2. The young lady in the maroon vest is the one you met when you were here. She said to tell you she was sorry she didn't ride with you.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...63857f34b1.jpg

datlas 11-19-21 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22313413)
I know. That's why I suggested picking you up and driving past that section. The logistics didn't work out, though.

Good suggestion. Luckily, this trip we hope/plan to have a car rental, so if necessary I can drive and/or get mrs datlas to drop me off to avoid any highways. I am also hopeful the FOAF I borrowed the Felt Aluminum bike from will let me borrow it again. Bike rentals are hit/miss.

Mojo31 11-19-21 11:54 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22313403)
I only work 20 or so hours a week in the Summer. I'm not there for the money. My main gig allows me to have a flexible schedule.

That's perfect!

indyfabz 11-19-21 12:04 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22313338)
The hills in the Velo Vol territory, and the wind in Wyoming. Those two are the bane of the Trans Am Bike Race participants. Well. Getting killed in Kansas may be at the top. Those three things...

When I was on part of the TA in 2014 I camped with a bunch of people in Jackson, MT, including a guy who was in the race. He proudly told a couple of us that he was not in last place but rather in second to last place. Later that evening, a guy travelling really lightly passed the hot springs resort where we were camping. I did not have to heart to tell mister next to last that he might now be last.

indyfabz 11-19-21 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22313403)
I only work 20 or so hours a week in the Summer.


WhyFi 11-19-21 12:25 PM

Just did a lap through the new Zwift Neokyo map. Man, as I noted on my Strava log, that was fast... too fast. Wrong fast.

There was only 230' of gain (all of it in one climb) over the 15 mile course, but that doesn't explain my 24.9mph average on the road bike. :eek: I put in some work, 264w average for 36min, and there was one guy that was stuck with me most of the way, providing some draft benefit, I'm sure... but still. That's blistering.

genejockey 11-19-21 12:43 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22313359)
A friend who is an ex pro started the ride 40ish years ago. The official start is in Van Nuys but I've always skipped the ride across the valley floor and just ridden from home. There have been 200 riders some years and hardly any riders other years, like after the Station Fire. Some riders don't anticipate the freezing 35 mph descent while wet from the climb and go up without any extra layers. One time my friend drove up and had hot coffee and snacks for our group. This guy in the short sleeves was hanging around trying to score a jacket or something for the descent. I think she gave him some paper to stuff in his jersey.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7d4f734625.jpg

Been there, done that, on Mt Hamilton near San Jose. Cold at the bottom so I was wearing multiple layers, which got wet with sweat, and then later with drizzly fog closer to the top, so it was all soaked when I started back down. I think the trick, if it's like that, is to bring an extra set of tights and an extra jacket packed to stay dry, then swap at the top so. It was MISERABLE on the way down!

Mojo31 11-19-21 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22313476)
Just did a lap through the new Zwift Neokyo map. Man, as I noted on my Strava log, that was fast... too fast. Wrong fast.

There was only 230' of gain (all of it in one climb) over the 15 mile course, but that doesn't explain my 24.9mph average on the road bike. :eek: I put in some work, 264w average for 36min, and there was one guy that was stuck with me most of the way, providing some draft benefit, I'm sure... but still. That's blistering.

I thought all you guys rode at least 25 mph averages all the time, whether uphill, downhill, into or down wind, cross wind or otherwise. IRL that is.

Eric F 11-19-21 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22313476)
Just did a lap through the new Zwift Neokyo map. Man, as I noted on my Strava log, that was fast... too fast. Wrong fast.

There was only 230' of gain (all of it in one climb) over the 15 mile course, but that doesn't explain my 24.9mph average on the road bike. :eek: I put in some work, 264w average for 36min, and there was one guy that was stuck with me most of the way, providing some draft benefit, I'm sure... but still. That's blistering.

Did you have your fan blowing on your back for a tailwind?

genejockey 11-19-21 12:50 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22313476)
Just did a lap through the new Zwift Neokyo map. Man, as I noted on my Strava log, that was fast... too fast. Wrong fast.

There was only 230' of gain (all of it in one climb) over the 15 mile course, but that doesn't explain my 24.9mph average on the road bike. :eek: I put in some work, 264w average for 36min, and there was one guy that was stuck with me most of the way, providing some draft benefit, I'm sure... but still. That's blistering.

What bike were you riding?

WhyFi 11-19-21 12:55 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22313502)
I thought all you guys rode at least 25 mph averages all the time, whether uphill, downhill, into or down wind, cross wind or otherwise. IRL that is.

On our recovery days, sure.

:innocent:


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22313509)
What bike were you riding?

Canyon Aeroad 2021 and Zipp 808s. Supposed to be the fastest combo for riders under level 15 (unless it's a straight-up climbing route, then the ENVE 3.2s are likely better).

WhyFi 11-19-21 12:57 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22313384)
It never hurts to ask!

Last weekend we bought some glass pieces for the house. Since it was a pretty big spend, I asked the shop owner for a 15% discount. He said okay without any questioning. Ended up getting one piece for free essentially. My wife was surprised. She just doesn't understand that everything is negotiable, and the worst they can say is "no."

Yup. Having been on the other side of the negotiations, I'm not afraid to ask, but I just try to keep my offers reasonable.

genejockey 11-19-21 01:02 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22313513)
On our recovery days, sure.

:innocent:



Canyon Aeroad 2021 and Zipp 808s. Supposed to be the fastest combo for riders under level 15 (unless it's a straight-up climbing route, then the ENVE 3.2s are likely better).

Bike Calculator gives 23.8 mph for a 176# (I thought I remembered you saying that's your weight?) rider putting out 264 watts in the drops, and 25.8 for the same rider on aerobars. So, MAYBE not TOO far out? But, yeah - I think Zwift overestimates, I'm just not sure by how much.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.