Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Velo Vol 02-17-22 12:27 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412406)
Top-of-the-line (in 1980) JVC turntable and Yamaha receiver with Klipsch speakers. It sounds quite nice.

Ten years later superior sound could be had for a far lower price. #Technology


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eaa0433454.png

Mojo31 02-17-22 12:29 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22412434)
It's been years. I got to drive the Hi-Rail back then. While passing through a relatively isolated area of NJ there was a tiny fox running along the railhead in front of us and the skeletal remains of some small creature between the tracks. it had obviously been there for some time because the bones were bright white. We also went by the Naval Weapons Station at Earle, NJ. The place is so big it has its own private railroad inside where they store munitions. You can see a big yard and tracks branching out into the woods:

east earle, nj - Google Maps

Haven't high-railed, but have ridden in a locomotive. Had a death case when I was a ute, and were out measuring sight lines and distances. Pretty cool riding in one, but would not want to do it for a living.

Mojo31 02-17-22 12:29 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412442)
Ten years later superior sound could be had for a far lower price. #Technology


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eaa0433454.png

There is a reason you can get one of those for $15.

ls01 02-17-22 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412442)
Ten years later superior sound could be had for a far lower price. #Technology


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eaa0433454.png

I have a Sony almost exactly like that Jvc. 10 cd disk changer, dual cassette and am/fm radio. I have a Blue tooth stereo receiver that I plan on installing into one of the cassette tape decks one of these days. I watched a video on youtube....YouTube.... looks simple....

Velo Vol 02-17-22 12:34 PM

"Bring back film cameras!" the Boomers chanted.

BillyD 02-17-22 12:38 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412448)
There is a reason you can get one of those for $15.

Word.

Eric F 02-17-22 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412437)
Sweet!

When I got back into the vinyl some years ago, my daughter (a digital age child) expressed surprise that there was music recorded on both sides of the "disc."

Next up - cars with wind up windows.

Both of my daughters (23 and 17) have their own vinyl rigs, and have enjoyed getting new records on gifting occasions. Parent win! That said, the younger one has adopted the CD player from her granddad's collection of gear, and has been playing her only CD - Pearl Jam "Ten". She was talking yesterday about a concept for a CD rack she wants to build, so there is apparently an intent to expand her collection. There are also 2 decent Sony cassette player/recorders and an equalizer that need a place. Personally, I love the simplicity of my setup (which includes a bluetooth receiver on the AUX input), and will stick with what I've got.

Mojo31 02-17-22 12:41 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412454)
"Bring back film cameras!" the Boomers chanted.

Nope, I'm all on-board digital photography. It allows me to keep myself looking young in pictures.

genejockey 02-17-22 12:43 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22412357)
take the lead at the start and lap the field then you won't need brakes (breaks). Problem solved. You're welcome.

Why didn't I think if that? It would make my races so much simpler!

Eric F 02-17-22 12:44 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412442)
Ten years later superior sound could be had for a far lower price. #Technology


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eaa0433454.png

Gawd, that's ugly. I'm not a fan of the BPC* look. Not a chance that thing is going to live in my house.

* Black Plastic Crap

Mojo31 02-17-22 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412464)
Both of my daughters (23 and 17) have their own vinyl rigs, and have enjoyed getting new records on gifting occasions. Parent win! That said, the younger one has adopted the CD player from her granddad's collection of gear, and has been playing her only CD - Pearl Jam "Ten". She was talking yesterday about a concept for a CD rack she wants to build, so there is apparently an intent to expand her collection. There are also 2 decent Sony cassette player/recorders and an equalizer that need a place. Personally, I love the simplicity of my setup (which includes a bluetooth receiver on the AUX input), and will stick with what I've got.

My family room system is simple, but it's not. It's simple in the fact that it is just an AVR, DirectTV box, BlueRay (that we never use), turntable, TV and speakers, all controlled with a Harmony remote. It's not simple because about every three weeks the system loses the WiFi connection and we can't stream, so we have to hard power down to get everything to reboot. Of course, that only happens when my wife has the remote in her hands.

indyfabz 02-17-22 12:48 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412442)
Ten years later superior sound could be had for a far lower price. #Technology


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eaa0433454.png

Fight the power!

https://openschooleast.org/wp-conten...dio-Raheem.jpg

rjones28 02-17-22 12:48 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412442)
Ten years later superior sound could be had for a far lower price. #Technology


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eaa0433454.png

:foo:

genejockey 02-17-22 12:49 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412364)
Being in front in any race is a good thing.

Only at the end. Otherwise you're doing everyone else's work for them.

BillyD 02-17-22 12:49 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412454)
"Bring back film cameras!" the Boomers chanted.

There are still many some fans, but the ability to take a couple test shots and make adjustments on the fly is priceless.

genejockey 02-17-22 12:49 PM

I've done worse.
Wordle 243 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

genejockey 02-17-22 12:50 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412361)
My daughter drove to Missouri to get her rescue dog.

The only things she could find closer were aggressive breeds, which she did not want. But, she's not a bubba.

Our Greyhounds came from other 'Neutral' states - Colorado and Florida.

Mojo31 02-17-22 12:50 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22412481)
Only at the end. Otherwise you're doing everyone else's work for them.

Not if you're far enough ahead.

I would not lap the pack. I'd just get the big lead and then hang right behind the pack.

rjones28 02-17-22 12:53 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22412454)
"Bring back film cameras!" the Boomers chanted.

They never went away.

The Best 35mm Cameras to Use in 2022 (gearpatrol.com)

Mojo31 02-17-22 12:53 PM

New OSHA Guidance for Protecting against COVID-19 in the Workplace
 

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22412482)
There are still many some fans, but the ability to take a couple test shots and make adjustments on the fly is priceless.

Lots of value with digital - ability to bracket, shoot a lot of pics without a film back as big as a back pack, shoot in RAW and adjust WB, focus track like you could never do in film cameras, and, of course, make it all look even better in post.

genejockey 02-17-22 12:55 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412446)
Haven't high-railed, but have ridden in a locomotive. Had a death case when I was a ute, and were out measuring sight lines and distances. Pretty cool riding in one, but would not want to do it for a living.

My Great Grandfather did it for a living. And a dying.

datlas 02-17-22 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412437)

Next up - cars with wind up windows.

The Saturn has wind-up windows. I still recall giving my kids' friends a ride and their excitement about the crank. "OH!! That's why they say roll down the window!!"

Eric F 02-17-22 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22412429)
Just buttering me up for success.

What are your strengths? My best weapon was sprinting. I ended up winning the field sprint for 3rd place behind 2 strong guys who got away early and did a great job working together.

genejockey 02-17-22 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412486)
Not if you're far enough ahead.

I would not lap the pack. I'd just get the big lead and then hang right behind the pack.

You can't fooI me. I've watched too many breakaways get caught in the final km of a TdF stage.

Velo Vol 02-17-22 12:58 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22412472)
Gawd, that's ugly. I'm not a fan of the BPC* look. Not a chance that thing is going to live in my house.

Someone's missing out on undistorted, hiss/crackle-free music.

Eric F 02-17-22 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412477)
My family room system is simple, but it's not. It's simple in the fact that it is just an AVR, DirectTV box, BlueRay (that we never use), turntable, TV and speakers, all controlled with a Harmony remote. It's not simple because about every three weeks the system loses the WiFi connection and we can't stream, so we have to hard power down to get everything to reboot. Of course, that only happens when my wife has the remote in her hands.

Funny how it always seems to work that way.

I have intentionally kept my music rig separate from the TV system (which is fairly mundane).

Velo Vol 02-17-22 01:03 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22412492)
They never went away.

You have a Polaroid, don't you?

BillyD 02-17-22 01:05 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412494)
Lots of value with digital - ability to bracket, shoot a lot of pics without a film back as big as a back pack, shoot in RAW and adjust WB, focus track like you could never do in film cameras, and, of course, make it all look even better in post.

The list can go on and on. Itís a no-brainer.

Mojo31 02-17-22 01:05 PM

First "big boy" film camera was a Yashica 35mm that was fully manual. Really tested your abilities when shooting moving objects as you had to hand focus while you shot. This was taken with that camera coupled to a 200mm lens at the 1984 Dallas F1 Grand Prix:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...60e6b601b4.jpg

While not that good, it was one of the better shots I captured during that event.

Fast forward about 35 years, and the new tech and longer lenses allowed me to get this kind of panning shots without being anywhere near as close to the track:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ad785f2e24.jpg

rjones28 02-17-22 01:06 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22412437)
Sweet!

When I got back into the vinyl some years ago, my daughter (a digital age child) expressed surprise that there was music recorded on both sides of the "disc."

Next up - cars with wind up windows.

Digital and analog, all-in-one. The Future of Custom Vehicles: Ford Unveils All-Electric F-100 Eluminator Concept With New EV Crate Motor Customers Can Now Buy | Ford Media Center

Feat. windup windows.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5a42877284.png


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.