Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

indyfabz 08-08-22 05:43 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22602656)
We had our outdoor graduation party for Hannah yesterday afternoon. It was super humid and quite warm. Even so, I do believe a good time was had by all.

I went shopping in the car in the afternoon. It was miserable out. My morning 25 miles was a sweatfest at the end. Once you hit the last 1.5 miles of MLK you lose the shade. I absolutely hate weather like this. My overnighter this coming weekend should be quite nice. Can't wait to hit the coast at Ocean City on Sunday.

datlas 08-08-22 05:48 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22602659)
I went shopping in the car in the afternoon. It was miserable out. My morning 25 miles was a sweatfest at the end. Once you hit the last 1.5 miles of MLK you lose the shade. I absolutely hate weather like this. My overnighter this coming weekend should be quite nice. Can't wait to hit the coast at Ocean City on Sunday.

Yeah I actually don't mind riding in the heat and humidity as long as there is plenty of water and I remember to wear my Halo(tm) headband.

You might not know, but I recall you have ridden to the Jersey Shore before. We have a chance to stay at my SiL's place for Labor Day weekend. They live in Long Branch. The cycling related questions are:

1. How is the ride across central NJ to get to that area? I am considering riding from my place to there (it's about 100 miles) but unclear how safe the roads are.

2. How is the riding along that region in NJ? I am thinking either MUP along the beach or deathtrap NJ busy roads. That said, once I head inland to say Freehold etc. is there good riding??

indyfabz 08-08-22 07:17 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22602665)
Yeah I actually don't mind riding in the heat and humidity as long as there is plenty of water and I remember to wear my Halo(tm) headband.

You might not know, but I recall you have ridden to the Jersey Shore before. We have a chance to stay at my SiL's place for Labor Day weekend. They live in Long Branch. The cycling related questions are:

1. How is the ride across central NJ to get to that area? I am considering riding from my place to there (it's about 100 miles) but unclear how safe the roads are.

2. How is the riding along that region in NJ? I am thinking either MUP along the beach or deathtrap NJ busy roads. That said, once I head inland to say Freehold etc. is there good riding??

Sorry, but I know next to nothing about the eastern part of central NJ. Maybe check the website for the Princeton Freewheelers. Maybe there is a ride library. Or start a thread in the Northeast regional form.

big john 08-08-22 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22602637)
Wordle 415 4/6
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

same

datlas 08-08-22 08:44 AM

A rare 3/6 for me today.

datlas 08-08-22 08:57 AM

I needed new Look Keo cleats, and my current Keo 2 Max pedals are getting kinda old, so I decided to just get a new set of pedals with cleats.

I have been too lazy to put on the new pedals, but my right cleat was really worn and after I was able to extricate the bolt (it took some patience), I was INCREDIBLY PLEASED to see that look has changed the cleat bolts provided from slotted to 4mm hex. Such a pleasure to install and I am confident they will be much easier to un-install in the future.

:bday:

Eric F 08-08-22 09:21 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22602653)
Of course. It never crossed my mind that folks ride in groups. That is one habit I doubt I'll ever develop

Group rides are one of my main social outlets, and I much prefer riding on the road with a group than solo. If I'm riding alone, it's most likely going to be on my MTB.

datlas 08-08-22 09:51 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22602913)
Group rides are one of my main social outlets, and I much prefer riding on the road with a group than solo. If I'm riding alone, it's most likely going to be on my MTB.

Same, except for the MTB part. I much prefer social group rides. If it's an easy ride, we socialize. If it's a harder ride, we push each other. I am confident that I can push myself harder when trying to close a gap than when I am riding solo. Plus, jerky drivers are less likely to mess with a cyclist if there are going to be witnesses.

#SafetyInNumbers

mschwett 08-08-22 09:54 AM

the algorithm clearly feels bad about breaking my streak.


Wordle 415 2/6

⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

LesterOfPuppets 08-08-22 10:20 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22602652)
I used to enjoy being in EP. I wonder if I would now.

I don't wanna leave. Unfortunately from what I've seen, it looks TERRIBLE for road riding.

Eric F 08-08-22 10:30 AM

Saturday dirt therapy. Overlooking Santa Monica Bay from Backbone Trail (Los Angeles)...
https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net...-2048x2048.jpg

genejockey 08-08-22 10:32 AM

meh.
Wordle 415 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 08-08-22 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22603018)
Saturday dirt therapy. Overlooking Santa Monica Bay from Backbone Trail (Los Angeles)...
https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net...-2048x2048.jpg

I think I was near there a few months ago when I rode up/down and up/down Latigo. Very nice!

Eric F 08-08-22 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22603026)
I think I was near there a few months ago when I rode up/down and up/down Latigo. Very nice!

Yes. Latigo Canyon is further west, but it's the same range of mountains, and overlooks the same water.

rjones28 08-08-22 11:18 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22602883)
I needed new Look Keo cleats, and my current Keo 2 Max pedals are getting kinda old, so I decided to just get a new set of pedals with cleats.

I have been too lazy to put on the new pedals, but my right cleat was really worn and after I was able to extricate the bolt (it took some patience), I was INCREDIBLY PLEASED to see that look has changed the cleat bolts provided from slotted to 4mm hex. Such a pleasure to install and I am confident they will be much easier to un-install in the future.

:bday:

Oh my.

datlas 08-08-22 11:41 AM

I think it's over a month since His Obtuseness left. Is he ever coming back??

datlas 08-08-22 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22603089)
Oh my.

Shocking, right?

datlas 08-08-22 11:44 AM

Oh, recall from last week that Daughter #1's Corolla was leaking water all over the floor lately? During yesterday's festivities, I excused myself and pulled the A/C condensation line which runs under the front passenger seat floor and used the old Shimano RD frayed cable to clear out the blockage and the problem is solved.

Trsnrtr 08-08-22 11:57 AM

Our heat and humidity is supposed to break overnight and I can’t wait. I’m sort of in a bad day, good day sort of cycle (np pun intended). I rode ok on Wednesday, sucked on Thursday, ok on Friday, collapsed on Saturday and so on and on. This old worn out body can’t take the heat and humidity anymore. :(

seedsbelize2 08-08-22 12:10 PM


Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22602465)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3d4b09828.jpeg
not a good start to Monday. No riding for me this week

You've joined the club. Sorry.

seedsbelize2 08-08-22 12:22 PM

Second booster is in the arm. Pfizer again, making it 3/4. It appeared that they had four different options for vaccines. But I might have interpreted the chart incorrectly. Everyone in my group was either third or fourth, and we all got Pfizer. Maybe one and twos were getting. AZ, Cansino, or?? that other Chinese sounding one.
Anyway, I'm vaccinated again, fwiw.

Mojo31 08-08-22 12:24 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22603141)
Our heat and humidity is supposed to break overnight and I can’t wait. I’m sort of in a bad day, good day sort of cycle (np pun intended). I rode ok on Wednesday, sucked on Thursday, ok on Friday, collapsed on Saturday and so on and on. This old worn out body can’t take the heat and humidity anymore. :(

I'm the same. Have been hitting the road by 6:30ish when I ride to finish by 9:00 or so. It's just too hot by then, and with the sun high there is not much shade on the roads.

We had family staying with us this past weekend, and the bike is disassembled, so took the opportunity to call it a pool weekend.

Next weekend we are moving our kid back to school, so that's another hot weekend that will be spent with no riding.

big john 08-08-22 01:19 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22603116)
I think it's over a month since His Obtuseness left. Is he ever coming back??

What about LAJ? Nobody has mentioned anything about him

big john 08-08-22 01:21 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22603122)
Oh, recall from last week that Daughter #1's Corolla was leaking water all over the floor lately? During yesterday's festivities, I excused myself and pulled the A/C condensation line which runs under the front passenger seat floor and used the old Shimano RD frayed cable to clear out the blockage and the problem is solved.

Wanna get a job as a Toyota tech?

big john 08-08-22 01:24 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22603185)
I'm the same. Have been hitting the road by 6:30ish when I ride to finish by 9:00 or so. It's just too hot by then, and with the sun high there is not much shade on the roads.

We had family staying with us this past weekend, and the bike is disassembled, so took the opportunity to call it a pool weekend.

Next weekend we are moving our kid back to school, so that's another hot weekend that will be spent with no riding.

You ride during the week?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.