Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

rjones28 09-05-22 07:56 AM

Fun fact: Manlius, IL was named after Manlius, NY

LesterOfPuppets 09-05-22 08:58 AM

Man, I shoulda went to the local sports bar for the game yesterday.


After a 4.5 hour rain delay, the Mariners beat the Guardians 6-3 in 11 innings. They sweep the road trip and have won 7 straight.
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...3A&oe=631B49F0

DougRNS 09-05-22 09:36 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22636725)
Man, I shoulda went to the local sports bar for the game yesterday.



https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...3A&oe=631B49F0

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fc5f86bc27.jpg

Take your pick. Prolly should watch the red hot Mariners.

Mojo31 09-05-22 09:42 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22636665)
Fun fact: Manlius, IL was named after Manlius, NY

Fun fact: Manlius, IL is the type of place in which you never want to find yourself.

datlas 09-05-22 10:03 AM

Just back from a bonus Labor Day ride. It was mostly good, with one minor exception:

One of the riders had a flat. That's no big deal, I don't get angry about flats, it's part of the deal. I usually try to be at peace with this and only really get annoyed if I am under a time crunch (which I wasn't). My general strategy when others flat is to ask if they know what they are doing, and if so, just stand back and bite my tongue if they have a minor screw-up....and only give suggestions if they are really messing it up.

So I sat back and found a shady spot. The guy with the flat is a very experienced rider, and I was hopeful this would be a 3 minute pit stop. It was not meant to be.

He got the tire off and popped in a new tube. I usually think it's best to run the inside of the tire to find/remove the culprit shard (unless this was a pinch flat). He did not do that. He got frustrated remounting the tire and had to use a tire lever (I bit my tongue about that too). Then he broke out his "new" C02 inflator. He screwed the cartridge on and then screwed the inflator onto his valve. He started messing with the device and after a couple of minutes he was not getting any airflow and decided to take the inflator off. He could not, it was stuck, so he took the cartridge off (BOOM!) and was able to extricate the inflator and borrowed someone else's. They inflated the tire and (of course) it did not hold any air. I finally spoke up and said "please let's run your tire for any shards and please put another tube on without using the tire lever," one of my friends who was closer to the action apparently ran the tire with no shard, and the rider was able to (with some frustration) install a borrowed tube, remount the tire without a lever, and get it inflated.

Total time: approx 20 minutes.

I really wish all cyclists who run tubes and want to use C02 would do a trial run in their garage so they know how to use it. I also wish they would know to inspect the inside of the flat for the cause, and to use the center channel of the rim to minimize need to remount tire with tire levers.

TL;DR datlas had a fun ride but was slightly annoyed by his fellow cyclist's amateur flat fix skilz.

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems

LesterOfPuppets 09-05-22 10:22 AM

A lot of Californians have been talking about the heat wave, looks like Rock Springs got hit too!

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ZA&oe=631A7724

LesterOfPuppets 09-05-22 10:26 AM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22636772)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fc5f86bc27.jpg

Take your pick. Prolly should watch the red hot Mariners.

Ms for sure! I might have to clean of the couch in my office for this one. Sitting in the wheeled chair gets old after an hour or so. I keep threatening to hook a computer up to the bedroom TV for the ultimate in baseball streaming comfort, but just haven't located that round tuit yet.

LesterOfPuppets 09-05-22 10:33 AM

CinqueWordle 443 5/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 09-05-22 11:30 AM

In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d1d49a6c5.jpeg

WhyFi 09-05-22 11:32 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22636816)
Just back from a bonus Labor Day ride. It was mostly good, with one minor exception:

One of the riders had a flat. That's no big deal, I don't get angry about flats, it's part of the deal. I usually try to be at peace with this and only really get annoyed if I am under a time crunch (which I wasn't). My general strategy when others flat is to ask if they know what they are doing, and if so, just stand back and bite my tongue if they have a minor screw-up....and only give suggestions if they are really messing it up.

So I sat back and found a shady spot. The guy with the flat is a very experienced rider, and I was hopeful this would be a 3 minute pit stop. It was not meant to be.

He got the tire off and popped in a new tube. I usually think it's best to run the inside of the tire to find/remove the culprit shard (unless this was a pinch flat). He did not do that. He got frustrated remounting the tire and had to use a tire lever (I bit my tongue about that too). Then he broke out his "new" C02 inflator. He screwed the cartridge on and then screwed the inflator onto his valve. He started messing with the device and after a couple of minutes he was not getting any airflow and decided to take the inflator off. He could not, it was stuck, so he took the cartridge off (BOOM!) and was able to extricate the inflator and borrowed someone else's. They inflated the tire and (of course) it did not hold any air. I finally spoke up and said "please let's run your tire for any shards and please put another tube on without using the tire lever," one of my friends who was closer to the action apparently ran the tire with no shard, and the rider was able to (with some frustration) install a borrowed tube, remount the tire without a lever, and get it inflated.

Total time: approx 20 minutes.

I really wish all cyclists who run tubes and want to use C02 would do a trial run in their garage so they know how to use it. I also wish they would know to inspect the inside of the flat for the cause, and to use the center channel of the rim to minimize need to remount tire with tire levers.

TL;DR datlas had a fun ride but was slightly annoyed by his fellow cyclist's amateur flat fix skilz.

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems

So you're saying that tubeless should be more popular?

:p

datlas 09-05-22 11:38 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22636917)
So you're saying that tubeless should be more popular?

:p

Possibly. That is one conclusion. Interestingly, flat guy said he has a GP5000TL he plans to install. He was asking questions about how to seat it, etc. so I think he is tubeless-curious.

"Popular" makes me think of this Wicked classic:



LesterOfPuppets 09-05-22 11:43 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22636916)
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d1d49a6c5.jpeg

Mid-90s Saturn headgasket?

Naww, no Torx wrench, can't be that :)

WhyFi 09-05-22 11:44 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22636926)
Possibly. That is one conclusion. Interestingly, flat guy said he has a GP5000TL he plans to install. He was asking questions about how to seat it, etc. so I think he is tubeless-curious.

Oof. I have a hunch that a lot of the early road tubeless angst was from overly tight fits (this was a combination of both rim and tire manufacturers trying to play it safe) and Stan's sealant (which is the go-to for lower pressure MTB) not working particularly well for the application. I think that a lot of tubeless-curious sat out until such time as Conti jumped in... and they laid a egg with the GP5kTL, which are also CYA super tight, souring those people on road tubeless, too. :rolleyes:

datlas 09-05-22 11:49 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22636932)
Oof. I have a hunch that a lot of the early road tubeless angst was from overly tight fits (this was a combination of both rim and tire manufacturers trying to play it safe) and Stan's sealant (which is the go-to for lower pressure MTB) not working particularly well for the application. I think that a lot of tubeless-curious sat out until such time as Conti jumped in... and they laid a egg with the GP5kTL, which are also CYA super tight, souring those people on road tubeless, too. :rolleyes:

Stay tuned. I honestly believe road tubeless is viable now, but probably not worth it for someone like me who gets a flat once or twice/year. Plus I am stuck running 23 or 25mm on the Habanero, and I also think the benefits of tubeless become more evident as you go wider, say 28+.

big john 09-05-22 12:10 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22636916)
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?


Plumbing? A new faucet?

Jack Tone 09-05-22 12:12 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22636916)
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d1d49a6c5.jpeg


Bathroom/Kitchen faucet?

datlas 09-05-22 12:18 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22636954)
Plumbing? A new faucet?


Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22636957)
Bathroom/Kitchen faucet?

Close enough. Kitchen faucet got loose/wiggly and very tough to access under the counter and behind the sink. I had to be a contortionist but was able to get it done.

Mojo31 09-05-22 12:40 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22636916)
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d1d49a6c5.jpeg

Co-riders flat. I see two bead jacks for the stubborn tire. And a thru-axle wrench.

Mojo31 09-05-22 12:44 PM

I’m TL curious, but my concern is sealant spaying over my kit.

Trsnrtr 09-05-22 01:05 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22636787)
Fun fact: Manlius, IL is the type of place in which you never want to find yourself.

That's just mean.

WhyFi 09-05-22 01:07 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22636989)
I’m TL curious, but my concern is sealant spaying over my kit.

Come on, now - you know my love of kit. :p

That happened once to Trsnrtr, but I have yet to experience more than some droplets on my calf. I would guess that it's one of those goldilocks situations - the puncture needs to be big enough to not seal immediately but small enough to have sufficient exit velocity and minimal spread, etc. It'd prolly have to be more or less dead center of the tread, too, to spray in the right direction, instead of off to the side.

Trsnrtr 09-05-22 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22637010)
Come on, now - you know my love of kit. :p

That happened once to Trsnrtr, but I have yet to experience more than some droplets on my calf. I would guess that it's one of those goldilocks situations - the puncture needs to be big enough to not seal immediately but small enough to have sufficient exit velocity and minimal spread, etc. It'd prolly have to be more or less dead center of the tread, too, to spray in the right direction, instead of off to the side.

I soaked the back of a pair of Assos bibs once with Orange Seal. After a few washings, it came out but i was worried for awhile.

rjones28 09-05-22 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22636787)
Fun fact: Manlius, IL is the type of place in which you never want to find yourself.

Last time I was there, like 20 years ago, they had a general store. Kind of a big deal for a town with fewer than 400 people.

WhyFi 09-05-22 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22637017)
I soaked the back of a pair of Assos bibs once with Orange Seal. After a few washings, it came out but i was worried for awhile.

Oh, cool. I remembered that you were pretty upset, because you thought that the bibs were toast, but it's nice to hear that they eventually came clean.

rjones28 09-05-22 01:15 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22636816)
Just back from a bonus Labor Day ride. It was mostly good, with one minor exception:

One of the riders had a flat. That's no big deal, I don't get angry about flats, it's part of the deal. I usually try to be at peace with this and only really get annoyed if I am under a time crunch (which I wasn't). My general strategy when others flat is to ask if they know what they are doing, and if so, just stand back and bite my tongue if they have a minor screw-up....and only give suggestions if they are really messing it up.

So I sat back and found a shady spot. The guy with the flat is a very experienced rider, and I was hopeful this would be a 3 minute pit stop. It was not meant to be.

He got the tire off and popped in a new tube. I usually think it's best to run the inside of the tire to find/remove the culprit shard (unless this was a pinch flat). He did not do that. He got frustrated remounting the tire and had to use a tire lever (I bit my tongue about that too). Then he broke out his "new" C02 inflator. He screwed the cartridge on and then screwed the inflator onto his valve. He started messing with the device and after a couple of minutes he was not getting any airflow and decided to take the inflator off. He could not, it was stuck, so he took the cartridge off (BOOM!) and was able to extricate the inflator and borrowed someone else's. They inflated the tire and (of course) it did not hold any air. I finally spoke up and said "please let's run your tire for any shards and please put another tube on without using the tire lever," one of my friends who was closer to the action apparently ran the tire with no shard, and the rider was able to (with some frustration) install a borrowed tube, remount the tire without a lever, and get it inflated.

Total time: approx 20 minutes.

I really wish all cyclists who run tubes and want to use C02 would do a trial run in their garage so they know how to use it. I also wish they would know to inspect the inside of the flat for the cause, and to use the center channel of the rim to minimize need to remount tire with tire levers.

TL;DR datlas had a fun ride but was slightly annoyed by his fellow cyclist's amateur flat fix skilz.

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems

Cool story

;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.