Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

seedsbelize2 04-29-22 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22488821)
We are heading to Asheville this afternoon. In order to minimize driver fatigue, we are stopping in Staunton, Va this evening. We found a well-reviewed place to stay that does not break the bank.

The long term weather forecast for next week looks kinda wet, but I am hoping to get some good rides in this weekend/next week between the showers.

My first Amtrak ride was Cincinnati to Staunton, some years ago now. Pronounced Stanton, iirc.

LAJ 04-29-22 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22489042)
Heating pad and gentle stretching. Hope it heals up asap.

I was going to suggest stop taking showers, but I think your advice is likely more better.

seedsbelize2 04-29-22 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22488907)
Checking USPS tracking, it's gonna be like Christmas today. All the bits except the RD should arrive today. So, this morning and Sunday, I'm gonna ride the s**t out of the Litespeed with the current groupset.

I ordered a phone, from Amazon, on Wed. afternoon. It arrived in Merida at 8 AM yesterday. Scheduled delivery to my door is April May 9. They would really rather I pick it up in town. I would really rather they earn their money. I am my dad.
DHL

WhyFi 04-29-22 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22489072)
I ordered a phone, from Amazon, on Wed. afternoon. It arrived in Merida at 8 AM yesterday. Scheduled delivery to my door is April 9. They would really rather I pick it up in town. I would really rather they earn their money. I am my dad.

May 9th?

seedsbelize2 04-29-22 10:59 AM

4:30 this morning I had to go out in my wellies and my skivvies to grab two dogs by the collars and drag them into the house so they would stop harassing that kitty up in the tree. During that drag I tripped in the rockiest part of the property and came down hard on my right knee and elbow. By the great good graces of the gods the knee struck home in the soft part just outside and below the patella. Thinking rationally, for a change, I took a tylenol and put ice on it immediately. And have suffered neither inordinate pain nor immobility.
8:30 AM I went out, fully dressed and again in my wellies, to clean around some old citrus trees that were here when we bought the place. I had my machete, and a helper.
9:30 AM I got too close to a wild wasp nest that I didn't see in the brush. 2 stings to the ear, one to the ribs and another on the arm, all on the left side.
I plan to take it easy the rest of the day.

seedsbelize2 04-29-22 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22489074)
May 9th?

Correct. Above post edited.

Bah Humbug 04-29-22 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22488887)
I was watching a YouTube video about reasons to move/not move to NC. The presenter (a black guy from NYC who relocated to the area 20 years ago, and clearly likes it) said that folks in NC love their Bible, their Beer, their Bourbon, and their Guns.

I hope they love (or at least don't hate) road cyclists.

Report to follow.

He should have said “bullets” for alliteration.

Bah Humbug 04-29-22 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22489030)
Ok. Looking for advice. Woke this morning and got in the shower. The instant the water hit me, a muscle in my right neck/ shoulder spasmed,, and wont release. Hurts all the way into my shoulder from the middle of neck and down to my shoulder blade. I can move my head but it's painful. Looking up is bad.

Happened to me once in high school. Brutal, but over in a few days.

WhyFi 04-29-22 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22489099)
Correct. Above post edited.

Ah, okay. Yeah, it bugs me when something is close-by and the ETA is unreasonably far out. That's happened to me with some highly anticipated thing or another. It had arrived at the post office, about a 10 minute walk away, on a Friday around lunchtime and, because of... stuff, it still wouldn't be arriving at my house until Monday. I made calls and tried to pick it up, but no can do - they couldn't go for that.

Velo Vol 04-29-22 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22489041)
Does a Bear **** in the woods??

Here is the planned route for Sunday. Any comments?? Care to join me?? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37345059

The time I rode it I started at the Folk Center on the BRP.

Kind of a facepalm. I read that there was water at Craggy Gardens, so I rode up to the picnic area to get some (extra climbing). Turned out that a bit later there's a visitor center right along the road.

It's chilly up top.

It's supposed to rain Sunday. I won't want to be wet at the top (see previous line).

indyfabz 04-29-22 11:58 AM

Do not go quiet into that self checkout line.

Bah Humbug 04-29-22 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22489157)

Those things are noisy hells.

Jack Tone 04-29-22 12:40 PM

Happy belated birthday, John.

Also, I still have a Zip drive, a Seagate tape drive, and a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk. None in use now.

Trsnrtr 04-29-22 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22489157)

I was at my local CVS recently and there was a small line at the register. I must have looked antsy (I wasn’t) because the cashier suggested that I use the self checkout. I asked if CVS was putting me on the payroll for the day and all Hell broke loose. She must take a lot of flak about the self checkout. :lol:

Velo Vol 04-29-22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22489072)
I ordered a phone, from Amazon, on Wed. afternoon. It arrived in Merida at 8 AM yesterday. Scheduled delivery to my door is April May 9. They would really rather I pick it up in town. I would really rather they earn their money. I am my dad.
DHL

Team Iphone?

WhyFi 04-29-22 01:12 PM

I like self-checkouts, I just think that 70% of the people that use them shouldn't be using them.

ls01 04-29-22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22489042)
Heating pad and gentle stretching. Hope it heals up asap.

Thank you.

ls01 04-29-22 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22489220)
I was at my local CVS recently and there was a small line at the register. I must have looked antsy (I wasn’t) because the cashier suggested that I use the self checkout. I asked if CVS was putting me on the payroll for the day and all Hell broke loose. She must take a lot of flak about the self checkout. :lol:

She was probably afraid she'd have to compete with you for her job.

ls01 04-29-22 01:25 PM

Man that was one long day! Gotta hot date with my heating pad! I don't know how I'm going to ride tomorrow if this doesn't knock it the eff off.
. Had to buy 3 more spokes for that damn Helium wheelset. Can't true it due to frozen nipples. I guess riding it home with a blue tooth spoke didn't sit well with it.

Velo Vol 04-29-22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22489240)
I like self-checkouts, I just think that 70% of the people that use them shouldn't be using them.

They're fine for 1-5 items. What I don't get is why the robot will hassle me about putting the scanned item(s) in the bag on the counter. Why does it care?

WhyFi 04-29-22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22489271)
They're fine for 1-5 items. What I don't get is why the robot will hassle me about putting the scanned item(s) in the bag on the counter. Why does it care?

It's all, uh, asset protection. Some systems are overzealous. Being familiar with the self-checkouts that you use is helpful.

I know that the Targets that I go to are pretty free-wheelin' - I can scan though stuff pretty quickly, like scanning one box of mac and cheese three times as I'm bagging the other two.

My fancy grocer, funny enough, is less way trusting. It never likes my re-usable bags, so I never put them in the bagging area and I wait to bag until the transaction is done. If my daughter rests her hand on the bagging area, it'll protest, so I have to have her stand back a step. Once I scan something, I have to put it in the bagging area or it won't let me scan the next thing. Etc, etc, etc. It's a pain in the ass, but you work around it - it's a poor craftsman that blames their tools, or something like that.

genejockey 04-29-22 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22489261)
Man that was one long day! Gotta hot date with my heating pad! I don't know how I'm going to ride tomorrow if this doesn't knock it the eff off.
. Had to buy 3 more spokes for that damn Helium wheelset. Can't true it due to frozen nipples. I guess riding it home with a blue tooth spoke didn't sit well with it.

I toldja.

ls01 04-29-22 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22489317)
I toldja.

Yeah I know. I was hoping it would just go back to true or close enough that I wouldn't need to screw around with it. But it has 2 pretty large wiggles in it. So 2 spokes to correct those and a spare. One of the wiggles is a frozen spoke, I'm soaking it in penetrant as we speak.

datlas 04-29-22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22489142)
The time I rode it I started at the Folk Center on the BRP.

Kind of a facepalm. I read that there was water at Craggy Gardens, so I rode up to the picnic area to get some (extra climbing). Turned out that a bit later there's a visitor center right along the road.

It's chilly up top.

It's supposed to rain Sunday. I won't want to be wet at the top (see previous line).

I hope it does not rain. If it’s raining, I will postpone. Join me??

datlas 04-29-22 02:44 PM

Posting from route 81 in Virginia. We just stopped at the Virginia welcome center for a rest stop and driver swap. The Saturn gets better MPG, but we are taking the Fit so we can share the driving.

indyfabz 04-29-22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22489220)

I’ve posted this before.

NSFW.

genejockey 04-29-22 03:19 PM

Back in December, I got a pair of Fulcrum 4s for the Ritchey after discovering the rims on its wheels were worn out. Last week I swapped those onto the Litespeed, figuring it should get the best wheels. I've taken it out for 2 rides with them, and it felt slow like an mph or so slower than I'd expect. The other thing is, most wheels, if the bike's on the work stand, the front wheel will turn till the heaviest point is at the bottom. The better the bearings, the longer it will keep going back and forth till it finally stops. These? They don't do that. They just stay however you turn the wheel. They spin okay, but slow down and stop faster than my other wheels.

Well, I did a search, and I read that other owners find that Fulcrum, and other wheels with cartridge bearing hubs, take 2-300 miles for the seals on the bearings to wear in. So far, I have about 150 on these. SO, I guess I'm in for a bit of suboptimal performance for a while. If I swap them for other wheels, I'll just be delaying the time when they spin well, right?

Mojo31 04-29-22 03:28 PM

Nuts, I tell ya

Trsnrtr 04-29-22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22489240)

I actually use self checkouts a lot but the CVS lady misread my body language and thought I was being impatient and her suggestion that I use the self checkout was delivered in a smart-ass tone which made me reply in kind though I did it with a smile.

MoAlpha 04-29-22 04:12 PM

So, how bad is a single steel chainring bolt on a fancy black crankset on an all-black bike? I had cracked one of the $20/set Praxis nuts and a good mech traced a subtle click to it.