Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 01-04-22 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22361141)
It wouldn't be like that at all.

There would be no need to tie me to the sail pole.

You'd prefer to be tied to the anchor?

Mojo31 01-04-22 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22361143)
Weirder than Bell Buckle, TN. I'm just picking out a town that I've driven through. Close to Warriors Trace, too.

Don't forget Nameless, Finger and Sweet Lips.

Velo Vol 01-04-22 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22361145)
You'd prefer to be tied to the anchor?

Give me a night to watch instructional videos and I could be very competent with the sails.

seedsbelize2 01-04-22 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22361032)
Story of our lives, for sure!

The flight already changed from a layover in MIA to nonstop, so I at least have that going for me.

Ya can't beat a non-stop flight. Especially if it means avoiding a layover in Miami. I didn't think I'd ever see a worse airport than O'Hare. I was wrong.

Mojo31 01-04-22 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22361216)
Give me a night to watch instructional videos and I could be very competent with the sails.

Pop quiz:

When the skipper yells (very loudly and enthusiastically), "Trim *****es!", what does that mean.

seedsbelize2 01-04-22 10:19 AM

All this 4 couples on a boat talk have me wondering what they might have in mind.
​​​​​​

Mojo31 01-04-22 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22361225)
Ya can't beat a non-stop flight. Especially if it means avoiding a layover in Miami. I didn't think I'd ever see a worse airport than O'Hare. I was wrong.

My experience is that AA typically changes the flights from DFW through Miami and to the islands to do the following:

a. Outbound - reduce the layover in MIA to about 10 to 15 minutes

b. Inbound - reduce the layover from an international flight to about 45 minutes

No two gates are ever within 10 to 15 minutes of each other, so even if your flight is "on time", you will virtually always miss the connection. Also, no flight is ever "on time" in MIA so it's all a joke to begin with. If you are arriving in MIA internationally, it always takes at least two hours to clear customs and immigration and recheck your bags unless you are a privileged one.

Mojo31 01-04-22 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22361235)
All this 4 couples on a boat talk have me wondering what they might have in mind.
​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK-cvcw3ngM

Dude, these are all people who are 65 and older. There ain't going to be any lusting over another.

Well, the one exception may be my wife who is quite a bit younger than the geriatrics that will be on board, but I don't share.

Velo Vol 01-04-22 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22361234)
Pop quiz:

When the skipper yells (very loudly and enthusiastically), "Trim *****es!", what does that mean.

I haven't watched the videos, but I'll say it means making the ropes that hold the sail down tighter.

DougRNS 01-04-22 10:56 AM

[MENTION=25227]Velo Vol[/MENTION] did you survive the bad roads? I hear it's terrible in nearby Virginia.

Velo Vol 01-04-22 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22361284)
[MENTION=25227]Velo Vol[/MENTION] did you survive the bad roads? I hear it's terrible in nearby Virginia.

I'm doing just fine. Getting really tired of winter, though. Might come sleep on your couch.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...95e12ce4b5.png

genejockey 01-04-22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22361247)
Dude, these are all people who are 65 and older. There ain't going to be any lusting over another.

Well, the one exception may be my wife who is quite a bit younger than the geriatrics that will be on board, but I don't share.

I turn 65 this year. That sounds awfully ******g bleak.

Mojo31 01-04-22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22361341)
I turn 65 this year. That sounds awfully f***ing bleak.

I do too, but I gotta tell you that there are not many 65 year olds (and certainly none that I know) that arouse a prurient interest in my mind.

I'm also the first to admit that I am nothing to lust after either.

It is bleak, no question.

Trsnrtr 01-04-22 12:31 PM

Riding the trainer today and get to the top of a climb and am anticipating the 4 mile downhill. Can't shift in to big ring. Have to stop and plug the controller box in to charge the battery so I can destroy the downhill. :lol:

#21stCenturyProblems

rjones28 01-04-22 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22361296)
I'm doing just fine. Getting really tired of winter, though. Might come sleep on your couch.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...95e12ce4b5.png

Benson and I went looking for Winter after lunch. It was cold but not very snowy.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...afb9e13e78.jpg

MoAlpha 01-04-22 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22361235)
​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK-cvcw3ngM

Gross idea; good song.

BillyD 01-04-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22361296)
I'm doing just fine. Getting really tired of winter, though.

But it just started. And you want to hang with the real northerners . . .

https://i.imgur.com/NKoX5qa.gif

WhyFi 01-04-22 01:24 PM

Got back home the other day, still slowly settling back in to our rut routine.

Day 2 of the trip back made things interesting. We left Lexington, KY in a hurry, trying to make sure that we didn't get caught up in the strong storms to the south that were sweeping NE. Where that weather system met up with the cold air over the Upper Midwest, there was the potential for a nice mix of ice and snow - not good seeing as our destination for the evening was Rockford, IL. We spent about 200 miles in steady, dreary rain, that then gave way to snow. Fortunately, this was New Years Day and traffic was really light, otherwise it could have been a mess. As it was, we were only a little behind schedule, having to go the last ~150 miles at ~60 mph or so.

Rockford was friggin' cold and windy - miserable, having spent a warm week in VA. The forward facing parts of the car were thickly coated in ice and, as I soon found out by virtue of a snapped key, the lock of the Thule rooftop storage unit was also frozen solid. I tracked down some lock de-icer at a gas station, but that still didn't free the lock. Oh well - we wouldn't have changes of clothes for the night, but the silver lining was that I wouldn't have to unpack and repack anything and we could get the hell out of Dodge quickly in the morning. :D

genejockey 01-04-22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22361091)
Philly dodged a bullet. Light snow off and on for a ew hours. Half an inch officially at the airport. Some places "down the shore"--where I could ride to in a day--got 10-14".

A friend just posted this on FB. Philly looks good, but the New Jersey suburbs less so.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...61730d051b.jpg

Link.

WhyFi 01-04-22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22361411)
Riding the trainer today and get to the top of a climb and am anticipating the 4 mile downhill. Can't shift in to big ring. Have to stop and plug the controller box in to charge the battery so I can destroy the downhill. :lol:

#21stCenturyProblems

On Zwift, I've been working on the Everest Challenge (and beyond) to unlock the Tron. Lately, I've taken to climbing the Alpe de Zwift and then letting my avatar coast all the way down, while I get off of the bike and take ten minutes to stretch and foam roll my legs. :D The free XP and mileage is a nice bonus for busting ass up that fake hill.

BillyD 01-04-22 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22361247)

Well, there might not be any lusting going on but there’s sho nuff gonna be lots of drinking. :lol:

genejockey 01-04-22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22361411)

#21stCenturyProblems

I'd say, "That's something that doesn't happen with mechanical groupsets", if it hadn't happened to me with the Bianchi, where a spring in the left(front) ergo lever hadn't broken and left me unable to shift.

Mojo31 01-04-22 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22361519)
Well, there might not be any lusting going on but there’s sho nuff gonna be lots of drinking. :lol:

Knowing half the group that will be on board, I will say you are 100% absolutely correct!

seedsbelize2 01-04-22 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22361431)
Gross idea; good song.

Stuck in the 70s

seedsbelize2 01-04-22 02:18 PM

Glad to see [MENTION=185471]WhyFi[/MENTION] made it back. I was wondering.
The site knows no one by that name.

WhyFi 01-04-22 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22361578)
Glad to see@WhyFi made it back. I was wondering.
The site knows no one by that name.

Prolly need a space before the @

seedsbelize2 01-04-22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22361495)
Got back home the other day, still slowly settling back in to our rut routine.

Day 2 of the trip back made things interesting. We left Lexington, KY in a hurry, trying to make sure that we didn't get caught up in the strong storms to the south that were sweeping NE. Where that weather system met up with the cold air over the Upper Midwest, there was the potential for a nice mix of ice and snow - not good seeing as our destination for the evening was Rockford, IL. We spent about 200 miles in steady, dreary rain, that then gave way to snow. Fortunately, this was New Years Day and traffic was really light, otherwise it could have been a mess. As it was, we were only a little behind schedule, having to go the last ~150 miles at ~60 mph or so.

Rockford was friggin' cold and windy - miserable, having spent a warm week in VA. The forward facing parts of the car were thickly coated in ice and, as I soon found out by virtue of a snapped key, the lock of the Thule rooftop storage unit was also frozen solid. I tracked down some lock de-icer at a gas station, but that still didn't free the lock. Oh well - we wouldn't have changes of clothes for the night, but the silver lining was that I wouldn't have to unpack and repack anything and we could get the hell out of Dodge quickly in the morning. :D

Do you have to (or choose to) do all the driving?

seedsbelize2 01-04-22 03:01 PM

I mentioned Wikiloc the other day. Did a little exploring this morning and found dozens of local MTB routes. :bday:
This lifelong pure roadie is pure no more.

WhyFi 01-04-22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22361633)
Do you have to (or choose to) do all the driving?

I choose to do all of the driving - it's the least worst option. My wife doesn't really like to drive and freeway driving, in particular, makes her nervous; I'm not particularly fond of being a passenger in a car with a nervous driver, and can only imagine the anxiety she'd experience while driving in a downpour with the endless 18-wheelers through IN. Beyond that, our driving distance/time is limited more by the kids' patience rather than my, uh, stamina.

Trsnrtr 01-04-22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22361504)
On Zwift, I've been working on the Everest Challenge (and beyond) to unlock the Tron. Lately, I've taken to climbing the Alpe de Zwift and then letting my avatar coast all the way down, while I get off of the bike and take ten minutes to stretch and foam roll my legs. :D The free XP and mileage is a nice bonus for busting ass up that fake hill.

Fulgaz has a few routes up Alpe d’Huez and I keep thinking I’ll do one and then I find something flatter. :)