Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Squirrels (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1256442)

cxwrench 08-07-22 09:08 AM

Squirrels

Not to be left out and extremely jealous of both cats and dogs,they've been forming their own suicide squads.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...baaec585a7.jpg

delbiker1 08-07-22 09:28 AM

Squirrels can truly be difficult to avoid. One just never knows which direction a squirrel is going to go at any given moment. I have run over a couple while trying to not do that. One last zig or zag and there is no time for the rider to react again. I have had a couple that the wheels missed, even though they ran right under the bike. Fortunately, I have not had one get stuck in the spokes. The picture by cxwrench makes me cringe.

Iride01 08-07-22 09:37 AM

Their instinct to zig zag probably works well for evading predators. But not so much for cyclist or motor vehicles that aren't going after them. When I use to walk through the neighborhood, flattened squirrels were common. Since they made access from the neighborhood to the trail easier, I don't miss seeing the run over squirrels.

A couple years ago I saw one of the strangest things. A squirrel ran straight across the road in front of me. No zig zagging. I also noticed that it appeared to be one of the oldest looking squirrels I've ever seen. Maybe squirrels need to re-evaluate their strategy when in areas where natural predators are few.

And this year I had a rabbit do the same odd thing, run straight across with none of the typical predator evasion strategy. It didn't tell me his age. <grin>

c_m_shooter 08-07-22 09:45 AM

Aim for the squirrel and you will never hit one. If you try to avoid it, there is a 50 percent chance it jumps into your line travel.

Aardwolf 08-07-22 09:53 AM

If you feed them they get really fat and much easier to avoid.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...31d9320b6b.jpg

Polaris OBark 08-07-22 10:38 AM

Use wheels with a high spoke count (rather than the stupid design in that front wheel), and CXray or other bladed spokes, so if they do get in there, they will be dispatched forthwith.

R.I.P. squirrel (and maybe the rider?).

The mode of failure of that fork is kind of disturbing.

Polaris OBark 08-07-22 10:40 AM

Shouldn't this be posted in the Animal Rights sub-forum? :p

blacknbluebikes 08-07-22 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=Polaris OBark;22601697

The mode of failure of that fork is kind of disturbing.[/QUOTE]

was thinking the same thing. don't see too much fork failure, never before with live bait. cxwrench , were you there? how'd the rider handle that?

wolfchild 08-07-22 10:46 AM

I had one run under my rear wheel and it died.

wellerchap 08-07-22 11:07 AM

Not on a bicycle, but while riding my Lambrettas I've run over 2 in the past....the first of which was on a motorway heading to London....that one met his maker :(

Rolla 08-07-22 11:18 AM

It’s harder to avoid squirrelly riders than actual squirrels.

3alarmer 08-07-22 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Aardwolf (Post 22601633)
If you feed them they get really fat and much easier to avoid.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...31d9320b6b.jpg

...you shouldn't fat shame a pregnant squirrel. :( I have pretty good luck with a high pitched whistle as I approach. I think they associate it with some bird of prey, and they run off the trail.

BillRS22 08-07-22 11:33 AM

Squirrel

I have run over 2 squirrels, one straight on and one that did the zig-zag routine. Neither seemed to be affected
by the encounter. But yes, the front wheel jam up would be quite exciting. As would a squirrel caught in your chain chewing up your ankles on the way out. Bill

Aardwolf 08-07-22 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 22601784)
...you shouldn't fat shame a pregnant squirrel. :( I have pretty good luck with a high pitched whistle as I approach. I think they associate it with some bird of prey, and they run off the trail.

Good point, it never occured to me it might be pregnant :)
But that picture was on 6th October a few years back so I figured it was fattening up for the winter.

Trakhak 08-07-22 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter (Post 22601620)
Aim for the squirrel and you will never hit one. If you try to avoid it, there is a 50 percent chance it jumps into your line travel.

Quoting for emphasis. Squirrels see cyclists as predators. Most predators run directly toward squirrels. The sooner you begin riding in a straight line toward the squirrel, the sooner it will run off the road away from you.

freeranger 08-07-22 02:29 PM

Just to add one more critter--snake! While riding the western MD. section of the C&O Canal trail, a small snake started slithering along on the drive side of my wifes bike and would raise it's head when her foot was at the bottom of the pedal stroke. It was fairly fast! Luckily, it didn't catch her foot or get caught in the bike. No idea what kind of snake it was, but makes for a good laugh! Had a heron fly along with us while riding the canal also. Must have accompanied us for at least 3/4 mile.

indyfabz 08-07-22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter (Post 22601620)

:roflmao2:

Good advice.

indyfabz 08-07-22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by freeranger (Post 22602016)
Just to add one more critter--snake! While riding the western MD. section of the C&O Canal trail, a small snake started slithering along on the drive side of my wifes bike and would raise it's head when her foot was at the bottom of the pedal stroke. It was fairly fast! Luckily, it didn't catch her foot or get caught in the bike. No idea what kind of snake it was, but makes for a good laugh! Had a heron fly along with us while riding the canal also. Must have accompanied us for at least 3/4 mile.

Lehigh Gorge Trail in PA.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...abafc3269.jpeg
Young rattlesnake.

GeezyRider 08-07-22 03:17 PM

I had a squirrel dart from the side of the trail we were on, hit my rear wheel and then, somehow, bounced off the wheel then bounced off my shoulder and back to the side of the trail where it came from and scampered away. My wife was right behind me and witnessed the whole fiasco. Naturally, she was more concerned about the welfare of the squirrel than if it might have bitten my neck or ear.

big john 08-07-22 03:29 PM

On a group ride and after a turn we were just getting up to speed, maybe 20mph, and I was following a woman when a squirrel darted from the bushes and into her front wheel. She screamed and the squirrel just bounced off and went back into the weeds. I was very impressed by her ability to stay in control, if she had fallen several of us would have gone with her. She was upset until I assured her the thing survived.

Another time I was descending a mountain road and my wife and her friend were behind me. We were doing at least 35mph and I heard a blood curdling scream from the wife's friend. Turns out she hit a squirrel and it did not live to tell the tale. Again, she kept it under control while speeding down a narrow, twisty road.

Litespud 08-07-22 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22601571)
Not to be left out and extremely jealous of both cats and dogs,they've been forming their own suicide squads.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...baaec585a7.jpg

myself and a friend were out for spin when a squirrel ran out in front of us. I’m well familiar with the pic in the OP, so I brake. Squirrel passes in front of me and leaps through my friends rear wheel. Luckily for everyone/everything concerned, it was a Campag G3-laced wheel, so big gaps between spoke groups. Squirrel was diving through a gap when the next spoke came up and threw him ~6 feet into the air. He landed apparently unharmed and tore off into the undergrowth. We’re gobsmacked at what just happened 😀

OldTryGuy 08-07-22 05:45 PM

snakes = blip

squirrels = thump

rabbits = THUMP

racoons = THUMP + crash

armadillo = ER visit

JohnDThompson 08-07-22 05:47 PM

Not a squirrel story, but I had a frog jump into my front wheel once. It landed inside the spokes, went around a few rotations, and then was flung out against my leg. It dropped to the road and I saw it hop away. Cheap thrills, I suppose.

ofajen 08-07-22 06:37 PM

I generally yell at them (squirrels) with the thought that it skews the center point of their random walk away from me. I’ve run over a couple but have been lucky enough so far to not have one get tangled in my front wheel.

Otto

CAT7RDR 08-07-22 07:18 PM

The only animal to almost take me out was a Pigeon under a freeway bridge on a MUP.
It was a glancing blow. Just glad it wasn't a goose. They take down airliners. :bike2: