Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   BMX (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Do you wear a helmet while BMX biking? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1101524)

mileena 03-17-17 01:33 AM

Do you wear a helmet while BMX biking?

I know for sure I don't, but I don't get angry with others who do. If you know what your doing, you really don't need protection.

Scona 03-17-17 03:10 AM

Must! for your safety.

Oldbikenut 03-17-17 11:01 PM

Really? When I was young and thought I was invincible I only wore a helmet when I raced because they made us. These days I don't have to wear a helmet but I'm smart enough now to know how fragile my head is and always where a helmet, but then again I don't really care about trying to be cool either.

DMC707 03-18-17 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mileena (Post 19447585)
. If you know what your doing, you really don't need protection.

Wearing a lid is a requirement at the tracks I ride. Hundreds of expert and pro riders out there who strap on a helmet for every ride must not really know what they are doing

LiquorLad 03-18-17 08:15 AM

Accidents happen whether you know what you're doing or not. Your logic is flawed.

Jozzyozzy 04-29-17 02:06 PM

I know for sure I don't, but I don't get angry with others who do. If you know what your doing, you really don't need protection.

To be honest, I think it's pretty dumb to be doing all sorts of dangerous tricks without a helmet on.

You may look weird wearing one, but it could save your life one day.

Wallstreet 04-30-17 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scona (Post 19447618)
Must! for your safety.

I agree. My dad was a doctor and he rehabilitated people from accidents. Humans make mistaies!

cbrstar 04-30-17 03:44 PM

When I was young, while I BMX'ed I never wore one... Now I'm middle aged, and had one bad motorcycle accident I do wear one on occasion, like riding in a Skatepark.

blue192 04-30-17 06:07 PM

I use a helmet to hold my light/camera normally (also use to show example to my kids). But I would rather wear one to avoid a long visit to hospital room as even experienced bikes can get into accidents.

benharrison 05-03-17 06:50 AM

...but I don't get angry with others who do. If you know what your doing, you really don't need protection.

This is such an odd statement. First, it makes no sense for anyone to be angry with another person for wearing a helmet. Second, the last part is self-contradicting, because if you really know what you're doing, then you would have an even better sense of awareness of what could possibly go wrong. It's naive and foolish to think that only lesser skilled or experienced riders need protection.

EthanStark 05-18-17 06:07 AM

A lot of people think not wearing a helmet is a 100% chance of death.
I don't wear one most of the time, but thats because i'm not trying anything too crazy when i hit the streets or some jumps. NOT because they look Gay or sumthin. When I really need one, I simply put one on. Although shinguards are a MUST 4 me. Just slap em' on under my pants before i leave home.

How many of you think its just looks bad?

How many of you think its a total MUST?

I'm geussing 84% of you riders DO NOT WEAR A HELMET most of the time.

Ethan Stark

pickettt 05-18-17 11:55 AM

I'm a retired pro, i.e. I know what I'm doing. I used to wear my helmet 95% of the time on the bike. Now that I'm a father, I wear it 100% of the time I'm on my bike.......as an example to my son, as well as his dependence on me to take care of him (and not the other way around). Godspeed to whoever chooses to go without, whatever their reasons may be.

CHILDISHGAMBINO 06-30-17 01:44 PM

... If you know what your doing, you really don't need protection.

That might just be one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen.

officialrecon17 01-05-21 09:59 AM

I think the question I was kinda looking for was.... is it ok to wear something rather than a bicycle helmet like for instance a motocross helm or even a motorcycle helm?
I personally like the design of those helmets rather than a bicycle helmet because they offer a substantial amount of protection on your head, also full-face helmets allow you to express your presence by your "actions" not by your so called ethnicity. The question is, is it allow by the community to wear a motocross helmet on a bicycle in the city streets?

mack_turtle 01-05-21 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by officialrecon17 (Post 21863445)
The question is, is it allow by the community to wear a motocross helmet on a bicycle in the city streets?

I think it's more a question of practicality and safety on a warm day. there are full-face mountain bike helmets, and then there are moto helmets. I don't think those are the same thing. I would think that a moto helmet would be prohibitively heavy and hot for cycling, and it might limit your field of vision. there's no such thing as "too much protection" when it comes to protecting yourself against injury, but an actual moto helmet might be overkill for 99% of what any normal person does on any bicycle. I'm pretty sure I would wind up with heat stroke from the lack of ventilation or a neck injury from the weight long before I would have an opportunity to suffer a head injury in such a helmet.

so yes, you can wear whatever helmet you want, but don't expect many people to follow your example.

Rolla 01-05-21 11:38 PM

If you know what your doing, you really don't need protection.

Ha! Good luck with that. That's how a lot of children are conceived, you know.

Toespeas 01-06-21 12:30 AM

spend 200$ on a helmet to land on your elbows and hips every time , priceless !!

OSTB 01-06-21 05:53 PM

I guess it depends on how hard you're BMXing. Competitively on the track? Absolutely.

MaxRider 10-20-21 09:41 AM

I didn’t until recently. When I started dropping into bowls and jumping at the skate park, I got a helmet.

Viich 10-20-21 01:57 PM

I'll occasionally not wear a helmet to ride a bike to the store - but I wouldn't recommend that. For BMX, on or off the track, helmet 100%. I always wear a full-face on the track, even to practice.

No, I didn't wear a helmet when I was a kid. No one did except on the race track. The fact that I survived doesn't mean it's a good idea.