Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Towel on bike to wipe sweat (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1207457)

LostitoaBianchi 07-14-20 11:50 AM

Towel on bike to wipe sweat

I was going to attach a small sports towel on my bike to wipe my hands and/or face with while riding on hot days. I could not find any posts of other people discussing such a thing. Im wondering if there is anyone out there with a neat setup that addresses the same issue. Right now I am leaning towards attaching a retractable badge holder to my handlebar/top tube with the towel hopefully being light weight enough to just sit on there until I pull on it.

mgopack42 07-14-20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by LostitoaBianchi (Post 21587010)
I was going to attach a small sports towel on my bike to wipe my hands and/or face with while riding on hot days. I could not find any posts of other people discussing such a thing. Im wondering if there is anyone out there with a neat setup that addresses the same issue. Right now I am leaning towards attaching a retractable badge holder to my handlebar/top tube with the towel hopefully being light weight enough to just sit on there until I pull on it.

A lot of people I ride with have that set up, Using a 4 x 4 inch square of microfiber cloth.

Germanrazor 07-14-20 03:50 PM

Getting sweat running down your face and brow is a badge of honor....LOL

Seriously though, I know what you mean. I use my gloves with the terry cloth backing to wipe sweat from my eyes and face.

Marylander 07-14-20 04:07 PM

I keep meaning to try using a nite ize gear tie to stick a towel on the bars...

DaveLeeNC 07-14-20 04:14 PM

I always have a cotton washcloth in one hand and a spare in a jersey pocket. Not fancy but I have not found a better solution. I sweat buckets. dave

seypat 07-14-20 04:23 PM

Take precautions so it doesn't fall off/get dropped and go into one of the wheels.

MSchott 07-14-20 04:25 PM

I keep a folded microfiber towel in a jersey pocket.

caloso 07-14-20 04:27 PM

Old fashioned terry wristband.

datlas 07-14-20 04:37 PM

Halo FTW

genejockey 07-14-20 04:40 PM

I use the back of my glove.

And every so often, I take off my sunglasses, tilt my head to one side and squeeze the sweat out of the helmet pads on one side, then repeat on the other side, then wipe my brow with the back of the glove and put the glasses back on.

Reallly hot, dry days, I don't have to do even that because it all evaporates and I end up salt-crusted!

surak 07-14-20 06:52 PM

I have one or two towels hanging off my floor pump that I keep next to me. I also cycle through 3 thin headbands (Temple Tape), draping the damp ones on my bars to catch wind from my front fan to dry. I don't wear a jersey, just a baselayer under bibs. No way I could stand more layers. As it is, I'll use a second fan to dry my back, and even bust out the portable AC on the occasional muggy day.

LostitoaBianchi 07-14-20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by surak (Post 21587693)
I have one or two towels hanging off my floor pump that I keep next to me. I also cycle through 3 thin headbands (Temple Tape), draping the damp ones on my bars to catch wind from my front fan to dry. I don't wear a jersey, just a baselayer under bibs. No way I could stand more layers. As it is, I'll use a second fan to dry my back, and even bust out the portable AC on the occasional muggy day.

I need a picture of you drinking a pina colada surronded by fans as you cycle through the desert

surak 07-14-20 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by LostitoaBianchi (Post 21587705)
I need a picture of you drinking a pina colada surronded by fans as you cycle through the desert

:roflmao: I might celebrate with a drink and record it when I finish my upcoming vEveresting.

I definitely sweat buckets even when the ambient temperature isn't very high. I can ride outside if it's hot (a rarity in the PNW) but indoors I need it to be 60 or else I'm sweating within minutes of getting on the bike.

I've experimented with doing heat acclimatization sessions - hour of low Z1/Z2 without any fans or water, but stopped when I had some health issues that interrupted my riding. Might try it again at some point.

topflightpro 07-15-20 09:38 AM

I use a towel when riding the trainer or rollers. I also have top-tube bra on my trainer bike to catch dripping sweat. On the road, I use the back of my glove or shoulder. But for the most part, it just drips off.

Iride01 07-15-20 03:44 PM

Large handkerchief better known as a bandanna in a jersey pocket for me. I usually forget it's there. Great for times snot starts flowing out your nose too and you can't let it fly.

Prowler 07-15-20 06:23 PM

Here in the summer months I always carry a towel. But I'm an old fart that don't follow the rules, just do what works for me. I use a small hip pack to carry my phone, keys, MP3 player and a bit of trail mix. Since I always have that with me (same pack as I switch amongst 8 bikes all year), in the summer I have a neon yellow microfiber towel clipped to the belt, on the left side. Does three things.

a) mops sweat that pours out whenever I stop for a drink. I never stopped before to drink but, of course, this year I have to.
b) waves and flops around in the breeze which improves my visibility. A driver's eye sees motion, wierd motion so it helps.
c) good for drying my hands when I wash them. I don't want to touch anything in rest rooms anymore.

Watch carefully how long it is if you do the same. Must keep it out of the rear wheel.

AdkMtnMonster 07-15-20 06:53 PM

Towels are for the post-ride shower.

Lionheart 07-15-20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 21587476)
Old fashioned terry wristband.

Same here, like the ones for tennis players.

caloso 07-15-20 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lionheart (Post 21589627)
Same here, like the ones for tennis players.

George Brett was my favorite player when I was a kid.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...afe3eea60.jpeg

UniChris 07-15-20 11:00 PM

The only thing remotely absorbent in my kit is my socks.

So after a chamois cream re-up, where else am I going to wipe my hands?

Except I lie; the most useful item in my first aid kit is some bagged scrap of old washed-out polycotton sheet that dates back to my freshman year in college a few millenia ago...

Amt0571 07-16-20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21587506)
I use the back of my glove.

And every so often, I take off my sunglasses, tilt my head to one side and squeeze the sweat out of the helmet pads on one side, then repeat on the other side, then wipe my brow with the back of the glove and put the glasses back on.

Reallly hot, dry days, I don't have to do even that because it all evaporates and I end up salt-crusted!

This.

I mostly remove my glasses when climbing in the summer though Otherwise my face feels hot and sweat drips inside the glasses, ruining them for the descent.

Fox Farm 07-16-20 09:56 AM

Just stick it into your jersey pocket.

indyfabz 07-16-20 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 21589880)
George Brett was my favorite player when I was a kid.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...afe3eea60.jpeg

Remember when he flipped out in 1983 after being called out for having pine tar too far up the bat handle? Maybe he was still traumatized by losing the 1980 World Series to my Phillies. And poor Willie Wilson. :D

https://launiusr.files.wordpress.com...llies_1980.jpg

Miele Man 07-17-20 10:59 AM

I too put an absorbent rag inside a jersey pocket. If it gets really soaked I'll use a small binder clip to clip it to my brake cable to dry as I ride along. It can take a surprisingly long time for cotton to dry when the humidity is quite high.

Cheers

Machka 07-17-20 10:18 PM

Baby wipes.

On long rides and tours I'll carry a bandanna or large handkerchief.