Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Trek OCLV 5000 First timer here (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1268628)

barryallen 03-08-23 01:47 PM

Trek OCLV 5000 First timer here

Hi - First time getting a decent bike, came across this - seller is willing to do $400 - any ideas if this is a good deal? Total newbie here - appreciate the help!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner

Mackers 03-08-23 01:58 PM

Frame looks good, but I may be wrong here but I count 9 cogs in the back and those are 10 speed shifters so take "It is good and well work. No issues." with a pinch of salt :)
Looks like seller threw together a bike with what was left in the parts bin.

barryallen 03-08-23 02:33 PM

weird! I didnt even notice that

Eric F 03-08-23 02:51 PM

It's an older bike (late-'90s, early-'00s), but the Trek OCLV frames are durable and ride nice (I have a 1999 OCLV MTB that is beat to hell, but still rides great). The mix of components is a but curious, and may or may not be indicative of other issues. I'm guessing the 9sp 105 components are original. As mentioned above, the 10sp shifter and 9sp cassette thing raises a flag, but maybe not a red flag. The cassette is also a pretty tight range. If you're planning to do a lot of climbing, or the hills in your area are steep, you might want to replace it with something with more on the low end. I've seen these bare frames selling for similar prices, so this price isn't out of line. However, you may need to throw some more money at it to make it right for you. This has the potential to be a very capable road bike.

barryallen 03-08-23 03:36 PM

Thanks! Yeah looks in good shape - a bit nervous about the mix of things now that it is mentioned - not even sure how to ask about it lol

curbtender 03-08-23 03:41 PM

Seller has a few bikes up. Also selling a Mercier with 10 speed shifters on a 8 speed cassette. I like the paint but everything else looks a bit worn. Pretty sure it will shift poorly, but you could buy some new shifters and sell those DA's or get a 10 speed cassette. Personally, I'd keep looking. A lot of early carbon bikes in the $400 range.

barryallen 03-08-23 03:47 PM

Appreciate it! He just dropped it to $360 - but I feel like something weird with this listing and his stuff. gonna pass

Eric F 03-08-23 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by barryallen (Post 22823426)
Appreciate it! He just dropped it to $360 - but I feel like something weird with this listing and his stuff. gonna pass

If it was in my size and my area, I'd be very tempted to grab that. However, I'm not new to bikes, I have a stash of parts to work with, and I'd turn it into something different (1x flat-bar "townie" bike). For a newbie, if something feels off, you're probably making the right call.

DMC707 03-08-23 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mackers (Post 22823327)
Frame looks good, but I may be wrong here but I count 9 cogs in the back and those are 10 speed shifters so take "It is good and well work. No issues." with a pinch of salt :)
Looks like seller threw together a bike with what was left in the parts bin.

There's 10 on the back -- the chain is on the smallest and you can make out the teeth of the next cog just barely peeping out (8 speed crankset and rear derailleuer though from wat i can see) Frameset is beautiful - i remember loving that paint when those were new

Eric F 03-08-23 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by DMC707 (Post 22823551)
There's 10 on the back -- the chain is on the smallest and you can make out the teeth of the next cog just barely peeping out (8 speed crankset and rear derailleuer though from wat i can see) Frameset is beautiful - i remember loving that paint when those were new

I'm seeing 9 cogs on that cassette, including the one you can barely see behind the chain.

branko_76 03-08-23 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by barryallen (Post 22823313)
Hi - First time getting a decent bike, came across this - seller is willing to do $400 - any ideas if this is a good deal? Total newbie here - appreciate the help!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner

What type of riding do you do?

curbtender 03-08-23 10:12 PM

It would have been 9 speed 105 stock. He may be new to wrenching. I'm seeing an open quick release on front brake with a buried adjustment screw.

wrk101 03-09-23 02:58 PM

Described as "Like New" "Ready to Ride" and then later says "No returns" is a red flag for me, particularly for someone selling multiple bikes. And the mix of incompatible stuff is concerning too.

Sellers like this I avoid.

While I never stated I would take returns, I always did. And I never stated "no returns." Out of ~ 750 bikes sold, I had three returned. Those I was happy to take back, and it helped build my reputation (one teenager I took a bike back from, I ended up selling ten bikes to his family later). I had one bike returned because "it was too fast." OK, I never argued, gave them a full refund. Bike karma has always been good to me.

DMC707 03-09-23 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by curbtender (Post 22823778)
It would have been 9 speed 105 stock. He may be new to wrenching. I'm seeing an open quick release on front brake with a buried adjustment screw.

its definitely an odd mix of parts , with the 9 speed cassette (looked again with my reading glasses on) 10 speed D-A shifters and 8 speed (or possibly 7 speed) 105SC on almost everything else

im actually moderately curious what it would shift like as long as the derailleuer stops were adjusted correctly

Bianchigirll 03-11-23 01:16 PM

just for

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net..._w&oe=6410FB26

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Pw&oe=64127AB3

TugaDude 03-11-23 05:20 PM

Sure is a pretty frame. Being carbon fiber it would require a thorough examination. But here's the issue. Unless you have lots of experience with carbon fiber bicycle frames how do you know when some damage might eventually lead to catastrophic failure. Short answer, you don't. I sell carbon fiber and the resins that accompany it and I can tell you that while it is definitely stronger than steel it is also possible for it to fail miserably when damaged. For that reason, I tend to shy away from used carbon bicycles, even if they only have a carbon fork. If I want to ride a bike with a carbon fork I'll purchase a fork myself. But that's just me and I admit I'm on the conservative side on the issue. It isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

If the bike is close by, it wouldn't hurt to go check it out and ride it. At least you can confirm whether it is indeed road worthy as advertised. If you like the frame alone, maybe the seller would consider selling it by itself for a reasonable price. You can then build it up with better components. You can probably score a nice, gently used 9 speed group reasonably. Many bike riders swapped out their 9 speed whether it made sense to or not and you can get lucky sometimes.