Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LAJ 04-18-20 08:46 AM

Online everything will be the new normal.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21425068)
I'm would need. So. Much. Booze.

I might have enough room in the basement to set up a sill. :beer:

kissTheApex 04-18-20 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21425077)

Speaking of which, time for my fake group ride. Sigh

BillyD 04-18-20 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21425000)
Wow, I always figured other fliers got a professional courtesy.

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21425050)
Brutal. When I was working hawks would chase pigeons. Saw a falcon sitting on a dumpster eating a pigeon.

Ducks are one of the few species that an eagle could catch on the wing like that. Eagles are big and not particularly agile, unlike hawks or falcons. They're built for soaring, not chasing. So most of the ducks I've seen, who aren't especially fast despite a very rapid wing beat, are vulnerable even to a relatively clumsy eagle. And their other faulty habit is that they mostly fly in a straight line as opposed to quick, evasive maneuvers. Not good.

datlas 04-18-20 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425081)
Speaking of which, time for my fake group ride. Sigh

How was it?? Mine was fine. The leader chose the "keep everyone together" which is kinda fake but also pleasant in that everyone in the group were forced to be together. We had maybe 18 riders and almost everyone was in Discord so there was some trash talking to keep it interesting.

That said, it's still fake and I would like prefer a solo ride (if weather is dry) to a fake group ride. The weather this morning was wet so the online group ride was Plan B.

WhyFi 04-18-20 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21425077)

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425079)
I might have enough room in the basement to set up a sill. :beer:

DIY is starting to look like a new normal, too.

datlas 04-18-20 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425041)
I’ve given up on schools reopening this academic year, but getting concerned it may not even open come September. :twitchy:

Agree. It makes daughter #2 college choice even more complicated. Why cough up a ton of $$$ to got school at USC if they are going to be remote anyway??

datlas 04-18-20 08:58 AM

Nice to see the default avatar is back for Trainsnorter. Chapeau!

Velo Vol 04-18-20 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21424810)
Is that a problem?

Yes.

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21425090)
Ducks are one of the few species that an eagle could catch on the wing like that. Eagles are big and not particularly agile, unlike hawks or falcons. They're built for soaring, not chasing. So most of the ducks I've seen, who aren't especially fast despite a very rapid wing beat, are vulnerable even to a relatively clumsy eagle. And their other faulty habit is that they mostly fly in a straight line as opposed to quick, evasive maneuvers. Not good.

Wow, eagles are mean.

Crows are friendly.

indyfabz 04-18-20 09:18 AM

Brutal. When I was working hawks would chase pigeons. Saw a falcon sitting on a dumpster eating a pigeon.

There is a large square in center city Philadelphia with lots of large trees. Red tails would hunt pigeons, squirrels and rats there in the fall, when the leaves fell. You could usually tell one was around when the pigeons would get spooked and start flocking like a school of fish being chased. Saw one eating a rat once.

Velo Vol 04-18-20 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21424997)
Good news! Delta has extended its change fee waiver for flights through the end of September. Previously, it only applied to flights through May. Now I can push back my planned June Montana/Idaho tour.

You know times are bad when small airports like Knoxville are parking planes. bampilot06

Velo Vol 04-18-20 09:22 AM

With all the planes blocking the runway, I guess there's no where left to land.

Trsnrtr 04-18-20 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425107)
Nice to see the default avatar is back for Trainsnorter. Chapeau!

He always comes back sooner or later.

WhyFi 04-18-20 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21425137)
There is a large square in center city Philadelphia with lots of large trees. Red tails would hunt pigeons, squirrels and rats there in the fall, when the leaves fell. You could usually tell one was around when the pigeons would get spooked and start flocking like a school of fish being chased. Saw one eating a rat once.

Some gov agency was using a trained red tailed at the parks in NYC to disperse and discourage groups of pigeons. There was a little snag when the hawk snatched up someone's chihuahua.

LesterOfPuppets 04-18-20 09:26 AM

Speaking of Canada and aeroplanes, looks like passengers on flights involving Canada must wear facemasks soon...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...vernment-says/

Velo Vol 04-18-20 09:32 AM

I don't have a mask.

Trsnrtr 04-18-20 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21425162)
I don't have a mask.

I've been using the one my cancer center gave me a few weeks ago. I should probably retire it. Then, I will have no mask, either.

On a serious note, I have a few 26" tubes that i have no need for. I bet that I could cut them for ear pieces and use some cloth and a YT video to DIY.

LesterOfPuppets 04-18-20 09:44 AM

I don't have a mask.

No Canada for you!

rjones28 04-18-20 09:56 AM

I don't have a mask.

If you had started a DIY mask project at the beginning of all this, it would be nearly complete by now.

seedsbelize 04-18-20 09:57 AM

I think I recall cities (Pittsburgh?) bringing in falcons to control the pigeons

rjones28 04-18-20 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21425196)
No Canada for you!

Maybe sbxx1985 will send him one.

seedsbelize 04-18-20 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21425090)

I initially thought duck on that one, but after the catch it looked like Canada goose

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425105)
Agree. It makes daughter #2 college choice even more complicated. Why cough up a ton of $$$ to got school at USC if they are going to be remote anyway??

Even idiot Texas isn't opening schools for the rest of the academic year; next fall is in question. No one should be thinking about this academic year.

Any chance you can use that to spin it with her? Two years closer to home and then transfer to USC when things are hopefully back to normal and she can get that full experience?

bampilot06 04-18-20 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21425138)
You know times are bad when small airports like Knoxville are parking planes. bampilot06

https://twitter.com/MetroSkyWatch/st...09460740882437

akron and pittsburg look the same.

LAJ 04-18-20 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21425182)
I've been using the one my cancer center gave me a few weeks ago. I should probably retire it. Then, I will have no mask, either.

On a serious note, I have a few 26" tubes that i have no need for. I bet that I could cut them for ear pieces and use some cloth and a YT video to DIY.