Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

indyfabz 04-18-20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21425153)
Some gov agency was using a trained red tailed at the parks in NYC to disperse and discourage groups of pigeons. There was a little snag when the hawk snatched up someone's chihuahua.

Last year Ocean City, NJ, hired a handler to walk along the boardwalk with an owl to scare gulls that often dive bomb people and snatch their hotdogs, pizza and such. Apparently worked well.

We have a good deal of red tails here in the city.

big john 04-18-20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21426033)
You sound big.

Not that big, really. 220 back in the 80s and 90s, down under 200 now.

seedsbelize 04-18-20 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21426078)
Last year Ocean City, NJ, hired a handler to walk along the boardwalk with an owl to scare gulls that often dive bomb people and snatch their hotdogs, pizza and such. Apparently worked well.

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21426040)
Not much to do in this boring apocalypse. :(

Yeah. I'm even a homebody but we had wanted to do a weekend trip to San Antonio (Menger hotel, among other things), and there are riding events we've done in years past. Now it's just an endless purgatory of sameness.

And the bitter part is I know we're far more fortunate than a lot of people now. :(

Velo Vol 04-18-20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21426060)
Saw these guys on my ride today. Picked them up on the Fly 6. Not a great pic, but it was super cool to see and hear them in real life. Air Force Academy graduation today, so they did a zig-zag type flyover over the Front Range, starting up in Ft Collins/Greeley area. This was in appreciation of the folks on the front line during these times.

How is it that graduation is so early?

LAJ 04-18-20 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21426155)
How is it that graduation is so early?

They probably just want them gone.

WhyFi 04-18-20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21426125)
Now it's just an endless purgatory of sameness.

Yup. We tried to mix it up. We went on a little drive (~90 min each way) to a cafe/pie shop in a town with a population of 66. We figured we'd get some food, find a spot along the lake to picnic and have a pie to bring home. Yup, lots of people had the same idea. Whole pies - sold out. Scenic overlooks? A number at social distancing capacity. Oh well, it was better than the same four walls.

tomato coupe 04-18-20 07:27 PM

Saw these guys on my ride today. Picked them up on the Fly 6. Not a great pic, but it was super cool to see and hear them in real life. Air Force Academy graduation today, so they did a zig-zag type flyover over the Front Range, starting up in Ft Collins/Greeley area. This was in appreciation of the folks on the front line during these times.

We heard them, but they were in the clouds when they flew over us.

LAJ 04-18-20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 21426277)
We heard them, but they were in the clouds when they flew over us.

I heard them about 20 minutes prior, but had no idea what was up. There were tons of people parked along the roads in Arvada and Golden.

BillyD 04-18-20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21425512)
I got the worm box finished (the project I was working on when the finger got cut off), and moved said worms to their new home. It came close to wearing me out, a thing which is not allowed until June 1. I did it in two steps, resting in between. Shocking how easily I felt worn out. Healing takes energy.

What’s a worm box? Pics?

WhyFi 04-18-20 07:36 PM

Phil Gaimon's ride today on Strava was 108 miles and it was about the same average speed as my solo 100 mile rides.

Sure, Phil had almost 10,000 more feet of elevation gain vs my typical century, but that's... I mean, samesies, right?

WhyFi 04-18-20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21426293)
I heard them about 20 minutes prior, but had no idea what was up. There were tons of people parked along the roads in Arvada and Golden.

Those ****ers roar. We were on a little trip last year and there were a few doing maneuvers overhead and it was crazy loud.

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21426296)
Phil Gaimon's ride today on Strava was 108 miles and it was about the same average speed as my solo 100 mile rides.

Sure, Phil had almost 10,000 more feet of elevation gain vs my typical century, but that's... I mean, samesies, right?

The problem, apparently, is your heavy aero wheels. Get some nice light aluminum climbing wheels and you'll be right there with him.

2manybikes 04-18-20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21426078)

A noisy dog can do the same thing, and, is very entertaining,

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 07:45 PM

Apparently there is baseball in South Korea with empty stands. Why can't we get that televised here?

BillyD 04-18-20 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jadesfire (Post 21425821)
OK, so writing as a someone who was once also an 18-year-old girl:
First of all, I truly applaud the effort you are making to take her wishes and interests into account. Like your sister, that is something that I was not afforded during that time in my life. I was accepted into two out-of-state schools and wait-listed for another and had only applied to my in-state university as a back-up (all were good, well-respected options for my major of choice). When it became apparent that I was wanting to go out of state (because communication in my family sucked- at least you have that better state of affairs going for you), and while there was some resentment on my part at the time, my father did tell me straight out that there would be no assistance available from him. Though knowing what I know now about their finances at the time, at least some financial support would have been possible.

So my options were financial aid and/or scholarships, and I opted for the almost full-ride scholarship in-state. I can tell you that with the massive amounts of student loan debt my generation has taken on that I was relieved to come out the other side relatively unaffected. Now, you don't (obviously) need to answer this question here, but what would her financial situation look like in 4-5 years? Are you paying the full ride, do you feel the need to pay that full ride, or is she making the choice to be saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in debt? Because I have to say, seeing those numbers made a definite impact on my choice. And I'd like to think that even if my parents had offered to pay for out-of-state, I wouldn't have wanted to saddle them with that amount anyway when it came time to make my final choice. I know she's 18 and it might not be something she wants to think about but if she hasn't picked up the financial savvy from you and your wife yet, maybe now is the time?

Regardless, good luck to you all, and congratulations to her for having so many great choices!

Amen.

WhyFi 04-18-20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21426307)
The problem, apparently, is your heavy aero wheels. Get some nice light aluminum climbing wheels and you'll be right there with him.

Then again, with those fast wheels, I'd probably spin out of my Speedplays on a descent, jam my foot in my front wheel and be a goner. :(

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21426331)
Then again, with those fast wheels, I'd probably spin out of my Speedplays on a descent, jam my foot in my front wheel and be a goner. :(

:roflmao:

Velo Vol 04-18-20 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21426314)
Apparently there is baseball in South Korea with empty stands. Why can't we get that televised here?

Because we can watch grass grow instead.

Velo Vol 04-18-20 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21426348)
Because we can watch grass grow instead.

Well, many of us can. I guess the rest can watch their snow melt.

abshipp 04-18-20 08:34 PM

Saw these guys on my ride today.

Were they regular F-16s or the Thunderbirds?

Heathpack 04-18-20 09:03 PM

Hey datlas, if you recall, niece’s first choice school is Notre Dame. She just found out they’ll give her a 50% ride. So I’m guessing that’s where she’ll wind up.

Hope you figure out where to send your girl.

For what it’s worth, I was very upset that my parents would not let me go to my first choice school, St Johns College in Annapolis. They made me go to the University of NC Chapel Hill, where I got a full ride. I incurred at total of $500 in undergrad debt, had a great college experience, a wide array of opportunities and it really was an awesome choice for me. I never held it against my parents to have been pushed in a practical direction. Maybe because I loved where I wound up. Just saying: kids don’t always have to be indulged, they may well see it your way eventually themselves.

LesterOfPuppets 04-18-20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21426384)

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...8c&oe=5EBF6239

LAJ 04-18-20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21426384)

From the Neighborhood app. Not my pic.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fda662ac4.jpeg

rjones28 04-18-20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21425805)
In addition to a butt-load of wheels, I have broken 4 frames, 3 pedals (crashed twice because they snapped off) a stem, at least 3 seatposts, at least 4 saddles, lots of cables (usually my fault for leaving them on too long) but only one chain, and that was my fault, too. I broke a front derailleur and I was 20 some miles out. Got to practice my spin that day.
I was climbing a grade with a friend and he sprinted after someone and his middle cog split in half and fell out. He didn't crash and that was amazing.

I did that once.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dc2e853472.jpg