Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

datlas 04-20-20 09:52 AM

I saw gas for $2.09 at WaWa this morning. I don't think it's going to get much lower because of taxes and other fixed costs.

big john 04-20-20 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21428988)
I saw gas for $2.09 at WaWa this morning. I don't think it's going to get much lower because of taxes and other fixed costs.

I think Philly taxes are the highest in the nation, higher than California yet your gas is always at least $1 less than ours. Plus, we use a lot of domestic crude so the rip-off is even more ridiculous.

big john 04-20-20 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21428986)
Wear a fenestrated mask? Can fit a drink stir type straw through it.

Someone told me they saw a woman with a hole cut in her mask so she could smoke.

Trsnrtr 04-20-20 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21428975)
Why did she want to leave? Was it crazy busy? Last week we shopped and it wasn't bad.

I wouldn't say it was crowded but it is a smaller Aldis than most. I think it was the customers picking stuff up and then putting it back down, that sort of thing. I saw some pretty egregious examples of behavior that go against all of the CV guidelines and she must have, too.

Trsnrtr 04-20-20 09:59 AM

Off for some outside garbage miles. Might even stop for a pic or two. :lol:

kissTheApex 04-20-20 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21428988)

Here in DC surroundings the lowest I’ve seen is $1.999. I’d lose my ***** if it was less than a buck in this area :injured:

abshipp 04-20-20 10:06 AM

fenestrated

Lovely word selection :thumb:

I quite enjoyed MoAlpha 's "antipodean" a few pages back as well. That was a new one for me.

In more creative usage of language, I was reading an article about this weeks weather trends this morning in which the author described an effect of a low pressure system moving across the country in a way that made me chuckle: "Some sloshing of the Great Lakes is also possible." :lol:

abshipp 04-20-20 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21428997)
Someone told me they saw a woman with a hole cut in her mask so she could smoke.

Many of my co-workers are totally missing the point of wearing a mask by pulling it away from their mouth when speaking because it makes it easier to talk :rolleyes:

WhyFi 04-20-20 10:15 AM

fenestrated

"Defenestrate" is a favorite word of mine. :love:

ls01 04-20-20 10:30 AM

Yeah...People... I'm back @ work. People just dont get it. Guys that have been in home reserve for a month came in, saw the masks and gloves, and the entry procedures and were mocking it.
Then there's the "freedom crowd" I'm really torn on this one. I'm all about my rights and freedom. However I dont want this virus to get out and ravage out country. Not to mention, I would rather avoid coming down with it if possible.
How people can just throw others under the bus for profits is just repulsive to me.

LesterOfPuppets 04-20-20 10:33 AM

Podcast alert!

​​​​​​Carlton Kirby's Cycling Lock-in is highly entertaining.

https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=519956&refid=asa

indyfabz 04-20-20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21428995)
I think Philly taxes are the highest in the nation, higher than California yet your gas is always at least $1 less than ours. Plus, we use a lot of domestic crude so the rip-off is even more ridiculous.

I don’t believe the city has a separate gas tax. State gas tax is higher than NJ, which is why I try to buy there when I go to my NJ office. It’s roughly $0.50 cheaper in NJ than in many Philadelphia neighborhoods. The price difference used to be greater, but NJ raised its state gas tax a couple of years ago. Much bellyaching over that. The oil lobby in NJ is strong.

seedsbelize 04-20-20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21428792)
Where did you farm?

Southeast Ohio. Athens County

seedsbelize 04-20-20 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21428795)
I think that the anxiety reduction was in reference to the physical work/exertion, not necessarily the competitive aspect. I go through the same thing. If I don't exercise, my anxiety levels go up. I suspect that most humans are the same but a) some people work in jobs that are physically demanding and get in their necessary work that way and b) those with more sedentary jobs/lifestyles (you know, a big chunk of America) have simply gotten used to feeling ****ty and snippy and full of anxiety.

My aha moment was for those sedentary folk. I am learning to be sedentary as we speak.

datlas 04-20-20 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21429015)
Lovely word selection :thumb:

I quite enjoyed MoAlpha 's "antipodean" a few pages back as well. That was a new one for me.

In more creative usage of language, I was reading an article about this weeks weather trends this morning in which the author described an effect of a low pressure system moving across the country in a way that made me chuckle: "Some sloshing of the Great Lakes is also possible." :lol:

Yes it is a possibly snooty medical term. But I am not as snooty as some of those physicians who pronounce centimeter as "sohn-ti-meter," that's really over the top IMO. One of my partners does it. :rolleyes:

Velo Vol 04-20-20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21428830)
My immediate metro area has a population of 350k and has no general testing centers. You can only get tested at a clinic or hospital if you show symptoms or if you are in healthcare or a first responder.

I think this weekend was the first time anyone could get a test, without going through hurdles.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21428804)
The BIG problem is testing for asymptomatic carriers. If we don't start doing this, when the restrictions are lifted there is a big chance of a second surge. Sad.

I'm still confused as to (1) whether an antibody test actually exists, and (2) do we know with certainty that someone who has had the virus won't get sick again in the next year?

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21429089)
Southeast Ohio. Athens County

What was farmed?

MoAlpha 04-20-20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21428795)
I think that the anxiety reduction was in reference to the physical work/exertion, not necessarily the competitive aspect. I go through the same thing. If I don't exercise, my anxiety levels go up. I suspect that most humans are the same but a) some people work in jobs that are physically demanding and get in their necessary work that way and b) those with more sedentary jobs/lifestyles (you know, a big chunk of America) have simply gotten used to feeling ****ty and snippy and full of anxiety.

I actually get a few hours of real pleasure from a good workout, in addition to the reduction in anxiety. My wife, who was a varsity team athlete in college and works out regularly, doesn't get that. She finds the acute process neutral at best. I read somewhere that the exercise-pleasure (rat wheel) trait is demonstrably heritable.

datlas 04-20-20 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21429114)

I'm still confused as to (1) whether an antibody test actually exists, and (2) do we know with certainty that someone who has had the virus won't get sick again in the next year?

There are some antibody tests out there, but not available for me to order yet. I know that some of the nursing homes have them

We do NOT know how long acquired immunity to the COVID19 lasts. Maybe months. Maybe more, maybe less. We don't know.

MoAlpha 04-20-20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21429111)
Yes it is a possibly snooty medical term. But I am not as snooty as some of those physicians who pronounce centimeter as "sohn-ti-meter," that's really over the top IMO. One of my partners does it. :rolleyes:

My dad was a non-physician and pronounced it that way for unknown reasons, but he was also foreigner who learned English in England. As I think we've discussed, only surgeons and internists who wear bow ties can get away with talking like that and they shouldn't.

Velo Vol 04-20-20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21428952)
I saw 99 cent gas over the weekend in rural WI. I was floored. The last time I saw gas at less than a buck was prolly 20 years ago.

wut

It's $1.50s here.

WhyFi 04-20-20 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21429116)
I actually get a few hours of real pleasure from a good workout, in addition to the reduction in anxiety. My wife, who was a varsity team athlete in college and works out regularly, doesn't get that. She finds the acute process neutral at best. I read somewhere that the exercise pleasure (rat wheel) trait is demonstrably heritable.

Ah, yeah. I get that, too. For the few hours following a ride, my disposition is often as good as it's going to get. I can certainly overshoot it at times, though... but maybe it's still there, under the overriding fatigue.

ls01 04-20-20 11:00 AM

So, I just recieved word that my court case is over. They settled, we settled whatever. Checks in the mail....
So as promised. The damages from my accident to me physically. I broke 10 ribs on the right side and had a punctured lung that did not require the needle, thank god. Broken right clavicle, and small tear in the rotator cuff. I landed on the point of my right shoulder.
​​​​​​ . I elected to let the clavicle heal on it's own rather than have another surgery. I was told by my original Orthopod that the hardware would be permanent. I didnt like the idea of a metal plate and screws in my chest cavity with my internal organs. "What would happen if I went down again?" They didnt like that question. So no surgery for Joe.
The new Ortho, was great, told me he would have put me in the old harness but to much time had passed by then. I did a few months of P.T. I still get some real gnarley muscle spasms in my upper right back. And push ups are not real comfortable.

I did manage to scare the shirt off of the nursing staff when they were giving me a spinal block so I could breath. I passed out. Hard. I was severely dehydrated. And my blood pressure was low. When they sat me up to do the tap, lights out! Next thing I know I was being pumped full of (saline?) By I.V and shaking uncontrolably. Was frightening.

big john 04-20-20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21429088)
I don’t believe the city has a separate gas tax. State gas tax is higher than NJ, which is why I try to buy there when I go to my NJ office. It’s roughly $0.50 cheaper in NJ than in many Philadelphia neighborhoods. The price difference used to be greater, but NJ raised its state gas tax a couple of years ago. Much bellyaching over that. The oil lobby in NJ is strong.

Oops, I meant to write Pennsylvania. Now I feel like a contestant on Family Feud.

WhyFi 04-20-20 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21429127)
wut

It's $1.50s here.

$1.79 is the going rate in my metro area; I suspected that it would be cheaper in the hinterlands and wasn't terribly surprised when I saw $1.19. Seeing that 99¢, another 20 miles down the road, though? Yow.

Velo Vol 04-20-20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21429123)
There are some antibody tests out there, but not available for me to order yet. I know that some of the nursing homes have them

A week or so ago I saw a headline that the UK had ordered a bunch of tests that turned out not to work.

WhyFi 04-20-20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21429145)
So, I just recieved word that my court case is over. They settled, we settled whatever. Checks in the mail....
So as promised. The damages from my accident to me physically. I broke 10 ribs on the right side and had a punctured lung that did not require the needle, thank god. Broken right clavicle, and small tear in the rotator cuff. I landed on the point of my right shoulder.
​​​​​​ . I elected to let the clavicle heal on it's own rather than have another surgery. I was told by my original Orthopod that the hardware would be permanent. I didnt like the idea of a metal plate and screws in my chest cavity with my internal organs. "What would happen if I went down again?" They didnt like that question. So no surgery for Joe.
The new Ortho, was great, told me he would have put me in the old harness but to much time had passed by then. I did a few months of P.T. I still get some real gnarley muscle spasms in my upper right back. And push ups are not real comfortable.

I did manage to scare the shirt off of the nursing staff when they were giving me a spinal block so I could breath. I passed out. Hard. I was severely dehydrated. And my blood pressure was low. When they sat me up to do the tap, lights out! Next thing I know I was being pumped full of (saline?) By I.V and shaking uncontrolably. Was frightening.

Ouch.

Feel good to have some closure behind you?

big john 04-20-20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21429111)

Does he say "sohn-ti-pede" too?

ls01 04-20-20 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21429160)
Ouch.

Feel good to have some closure behind you?

​​​​ Yes, it's almost 3 years since it happened. Glad it's over.

LAJ 04-20-20 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21429145)

Dude... Glad it's over.

datlas 04-20-20 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21429158)
A week or so ago I saw a headline that the UK had ordered a bunch of tests that turned out not to work.

Haste makes waste. Any test that is rushed to market may not be reliable.