Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LAJ 04-03-20 11:27 AM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 21398811)
I am uninvolved mostly.

Like most of us, you say your piece and move on. Seems to work OK.

sbxx1985 04-03-20 11:29 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398712)
Can we please take the masks talk to the Covid forum? Because what Iíd like to say is far too political for this thread, but clearly itís not just being dropped despite getting tempers up.

There is a minimal amount of politics in this thread and people generally behave themselves. Comments are made in passing and no one generally gets their panties in a wad, except for one or two. I think we can have civil conversations. I have no interest in the COVID forum. I'm prefer to stay positive and I can imagine that place is like watching the news.

LAJ 04-03-20 11:31 AM

Of course, I would have to turf the wheels and call November for a new set.

sbxx1985 04-03-20 11:32 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21398817)
Like most of us, you say your piece and move on. Seems to work OK.

We don't all have to agree all the time. We used to scream at Razor.

sbxx1985 04-03-20 11:33 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21398823)
Of course, I would have to turf the wheels and call November for a new set.

Blast from the past. I forgot those guys were around. You still have that sweet spooky November frame. I love that bike. I was so close.

WhyFi 04-03-20 11:34 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398796)
I don't think I meant any more than that - it just was viewed overall negatively, and now it's flipped even though I think the current ones are less good for their time than the older ones were. Whereas people hardly talk about Felt now.

Ah - I guess I was referring mostly to the tri- aspect. I don't recall that general association.

And yeah, Felt has really dropped off the map for some reason. Someone recently started a thread to ask about Felt because it was such an unknown brand. :twitchy:

MoAlpha 04-03-20 11:38 AM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 21398820)
There is a minimal amount of politics in this thread and people generally behave themselves. Comments are made in passing and no one generally gets their panties in a wad, except for one or two. I think we can have civil conversations. I have no interest in the COVID forum. I'm prefer to stay positive and I can imagine that place is like watching the news.

I think we are finding it easy to behave because the high volume posters here are from more or less the same political tribe. If I'm wrong I hope I haven't offended anyone.

WhyFi 04-03-20 11:42 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21398807)
Irrelevant until when and if it creaks, but it came with a Wheels Mfg screw-together BB to accommodate the Shimano crank (mystery upon mystery) so some of the risk has been mitigated.

What's at least as disturbing to me is that Australian guy with the video, posted somewhere here, on the idiotic, self-destructing, steering stop in the head tube of the top-end aero model.

I will say one other thing, as a boat guy I'm always interested in the unfinished side of composites, i.e., what the builder thinks you're not looking at. The guy who sold me the wheels had a couple of new R5 frames and I took a good look at the tubes and ran a finger around as best I could. Not knowing much about bikes, I would rate the work as pretty good.

Yeah, I got a Wheels BB, too - I also have a 24mm spindle, so prolly the same one. It's well made, it fit the shell nicely and it's quiet as a vol(e). Not concerned in the least.

Since I got my R3 as a frameset, I obviously got a good look at it. Scary light and crazy thin in places, but the exposed innards - BB area and HT - were all tidy.

And yeah, I've seen that same video on that aero model. That stop looks like a really weird decision - most companies simply rely on the handle smashing in to the top tube. :innocent:

MoAlpha 04-03-20 11:46 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398850)
And yeah, I've seen that same video on that aero model. That stop looks like a really weird decision - most companies simply rely on the handle smashing in to the top tube. :innocent:

It's the invisible defects that will kill you.

WhyFi 04-03-20 11:52 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21398855)
It's the invisible defects that will kill you.

I'm just taking the piss, it certainly looks like a bad decision, but it would be interesting to hear the reason behind it.

LAJ 04-03-20 11:56 AM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 21398833)
Blast from the past. I forgot those guys were around. You still have that sweet spooky November frame. I love that bike. I was so close.

Absolutely. Being a bike hoarder has its drawbacks, but that bike isn't one of them. After a worlds thrashing. Aluminum rims, even!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4d4ea7190b.jpg

MoAlpha 04-03-20 12:00 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398867)
I'm just taking the piss, it certainly looks like a bad decision, but it would be interesting to hear the reason behind it.

All piss given, or something. It looked to me like the the world's cheesiest way of preventing top tube damage or, more likely, the damage it was failing to prevent at that fork hinge after it made a hole in the head tube.

WhyFi 04-03-20 12:02 PM

Speaking of bike emails, I just got one from Specialized. I'm sure this lead-off image will have some undies in a bunch -

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...89bc337da1.jpg

Velo Vol 04-03-20 12:03 PM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 21398820)
I have no interest in the COVID forum. I'm prefer to stay positive and I can imagine that place is like watching the news.

You should see my feed @ Twitter.com :roflmao2:

BillyD 04-03-20 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21398670)

Love it. :lol:

abshipp 04-03-20 12:11 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398850)
And yeah, I've seen that same video on that aero model. That stop looks like a really weird decision - most companies simply rely on the handle smashing in to the top tube. :innocent:

Link?

I thought that most people just learned pretty early to be more careful after the first time their bars smack their frame hard enough to make them wince.

WhyFi 04-03-20 12:21 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21398904)
Link?

I thought that most people just learned pretty early to be more careful after the first time their bars smack their frame hard enough to make them wince.

It's that Aussie guy on YouTube that the carbon haters like to trot out all the time. Leutner Technic or some such. Do a search for carbon bikes cut in half and he'll pop up.

BillyD 04-03-20 12:24 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21398817)
Like most of us, you say your piece and move on. Seems to work OK.

Itís the only way. We humans rarely see things the exact same way, so why get bent over it.

seedsbelize 04-03-20 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 21398811)
I am uninvolved mostly.

No. The other two. They know who they are.

Velo Vol 04-03-20 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398889)
Speaking of bike emails, I just got one from Specialized. I'm sure this lead-off image will have some undies in a bunch -

Riding on dirt. Disturbing.

BillyD 04-03-20 12:48 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21398840)
I think we are finding it easy to behave because the high volume posters here are from more or less the same political tribe. If I'm wrong I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Thank goodness, because otherwise, boom.

But I have to give this thread its due, this thread historically has always been peaceful, frequented by people who respect one another. A little dust up now and then but nothing huge. Virtually self-moderated. Iím only here for many years because I like it here, not because I have to monitor it.

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 12:52 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21398966)
Riding on dirt. Disturbing.

Even worse - flat bars!

LesterOfPuppets 04-03-20 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21398799)
I could roll on that burgundy one.

+1.

I'd throw a buncha gold crap on it probably.

seedsbelize 04-03-20 12:55 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398850)
Yeah, I got a Wheels BB, too - I also have a 24mm spindle, so prolly the same one. It's well made, it fit the shell nicely and it's quiet as a vol(e). Not concerned in the least.

Since I got my R3 as a frameset, I obviously got a good look at it. Scary light and crazy thin in places, but the exposed innards - BB area and HT - were all tidy.

And yeah, I've seen that same video on that aero model. That stop looks like a really weird decision - most companies simply rely on the handle smashing in to the top tube. :innocent:

How far is it allowed to turn? Maybe it's there to prevent a full on wheel disitegration at speed. A possible partial recovery before the faceplant.

LesterOfPuppets 04-03-20 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21398966)
Riding on dirt. Disturbing.


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398971)
Even worse - flat bars!

Um. I think that might be an eBike.

Jack Tone 04-03-20 12:57 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398850)
Yeah, I got a Wheels BB, too - I also have a 24mm spindle, so prolly the same one. It's well made, it fit the shell nicely and it's quiet as a vol(e). Not concerned in the least.

Since I got my R3 as a frameset, I obviously got a good look at it. Scary light and crazy thin in places, but the exposed innards - BB area and HT - were all tidy.

And yeah, I've seen that same video on that aero model. That stop looks like a really weird decision - most companies simply rely on the handle smashing in to the top tube. :innocent:

From the Excel Sports R3 ad "The only variation is the Cervelo Connect 24x90 bottom bracket for direct BBright fit with the 24mm Hollowtech II spindle of the R8000 crankset."
Is that Cervelo code for the Wheels Mfg. adapter?

sbxx1985 04-03-20 01:09 PM

Kinlins?


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21398874)


indyfabz 04-03-20 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21398717)
I'm not mad.

I'm not even.

indyfabz 04-03-20 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398712)
Can we please take the masks talk to the Covid forum?

Last night I stuck my head into one or two of the threads in there. Wine can sometimes make you do foolish things.

WhyFi 04-03-20 01:15 PM


Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 21398980)
From the Excel Sports R3 ad "The only variation is the Cervelo Connect 24x90 bottom bracket for direct BBright fit with the 24mm Hollowtech II spindle of the R8000 crankset."
Is that Cervelo code for the Wheels Mfg. adapter?

I'm guessing that that is Cervelo's in-house BB. The Wheels Manufacturing one is BBRight-Out-1 or something like that.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.