Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

BillyD 05-15-20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21476521)
"Short story" had me scratching my head. Looked it up. It was, indeed, first published as a short story in a magazine. It was later expanded into a full novel. I read the latter during a bike tour maybe four or five years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_for_Algernon

So what's it about, Cliffnotes version please?

Note: Nevermind, peeked the wiki link.

LesterOfPuppets 05-15-20 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21476194)
A group of my cycling friends are doing an informal group ride to Lancaster and back, it will be a century. I was invited too.

I told them no thanks.

I did NOT tell them I think it's foolish and premature to have a group ride like that. I believe there are going to be 6-8 riders. They claim they will be socially distancing but I expect that won't happen.

I am trying not to judge people, but it's hard not to when you see educated and intelligent people do things that are potentially dangerous.

That would be a nope for me too. Social distance bike ride is a lie.

BillyD 05-15-20 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21476192)
A Cooper's hawk made a meal out of a robin outside my window recently.

Predators take no prisoners.

big john 05-15-20 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21476185)
Oh Mama! Look at this bad boy! :love:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...95b5283f1d.png

37 bucks? Amazing. We had the Fluke insulation testing meter at the job. Generates 1000 volts to test up to 55megohms.
https://www.grainger.com/product/1BE...g!539404092930!

LAJ 05-15-20 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21476622)
37 bucks? Amazing. We had the Fluke insulation testing meter at the job. Generates 1000 volts to test up to 55megohms.
https://www.grainger.com/product/1BE...g!539404092930!

If you didn't have a Megger, you really shouldn't be doing high voltage vehicles. When I went to the state, that was one of the things I got rid of, once I determined I was going to stay here.

big john 05-15-20 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21476672)
If you didn't have a Megger, you really shouldn't be doing high voltage vehicles. When I went to the state, that was one of the things I got rid of, once I determined I was going to stay here.

Fluke makes some quality products. The first run of the 2nd generation Volt transmissions (they call it the drive unit) had a problem where a steel shim was dropped into the trans during assembly and would get picked up by the magnetism of the motor and damage the windings in the motor. No drive after that. You have to remove the power inverter module to test the windings (a giant pain) but after the first one I knew how to diagnose it enough to convince GM to send out a replacement transmission without taking it apart. Don't tell them, please.

Bah Humbug 05-15-20 10:44 AM

Closed on the house!

Now it’s just the pile of work to get ready to move... and then actually moving...

datlas 05-15-20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21476699)
Closed on the house!

Now it’s just the pile of work to get ready to move... and then actually moving...

:bday:

Trsnrtr 05-15-20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21476610)
That would be a nope for me too. Social distance bike ride is a lie.

My wife and I drove t a local rec area to start a ride and 4 of our friends were there in the parking lot getting ready to ride. They said they were being careful and I said, "Obviously, you're not." and then got back in the car before I said something worse. My wife told me I just need to keep my mouth shut but I figure if these guys are riding together than they are probably doing other stuff, too, in violation of the self-distancing thing.

Anyway, it started raining so we postponed the ride for an hour or so.

WhyFi 05-15-20 10:53 AM

Closed on the house!

:beer:

seedsbelize 05-15-20 11:03 AM

Closed on the house!

:bday:

ericy 05-15-20 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21476183)
:-(
I still prefer my analog calipers over the new fangled digital options

+1. When the batteries on the calipers go dead, the thing becomes a useless piece of junk until you find replacements. For whatever reason, mine takes something a little unusual that takes more effort to source.

seedsbelize 05-15-20 11:09 AM

It seems the surgeon knew what he was talking about. Hopeful as I was, it is clear that the hand is not yet ready to be set free. But it is improving markedly by the day. This morning I swapped wheels on two bikes, making one of them ready to ride, when the time comes. A few minutes later, when pumping up the tire on Mrs. Seeds' bike, the finger developed some pain. Back in the hammock again

ericy 05-15-20 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21476698)
Fluke makes some quality products. The first run of the 2nd generation Volt transmissions (they call it the drive unit) had a problem where a steel shim was dropped into the trans during assembly and would get picked up by the magnetism of the motor and damage the windings in the motor. No drive after that. You have to remove the power inverter module to test the windings (a giant pain) but after the first one I knew how to diagnose it enough to convince GM to send out a replacement transmission without taking it apart. Don't tell them, please.

I was watching a youtube video of someone taking apart a Chevy Bolt. The guy was pretty anal about the test equipment, the test leads, and the safety equipment. Your garden variety multimeter wouldn't be useful for what he was doing (most EVs have about 400V on the batteries when charged - and there is some talk of going to 800V). I recall that this guy used Fluke meters as they were rated for these higher voltages. For what it is worth, our solar PV system also has about 400VDC.

LAJ 05-15-20 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21476698)

I know, right? The biggest money-loser for a flatrate tech, was opening their mouth. Your secret is always safe with me.

BillyD 05-15-20 11:36 AM

Anybody ever heard of those Kaiweets multimeters?

big john 05-15-20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21476774)
I was watching a youtube video of someone taking apart a Chevy Bolt. The guy was pretty anal about the test equipment, the test leads, and the safety equipment. Your garden variety multimeter wouldn't be useful for what he was doing (most EVs have about 400V on the batteries when charged - and there is some talk of going to 800V). I recall that this guy used Fluke meters as they were rated for these higher voltages. For what it is worth, our solar PV system also has about 400VDC.

I worked on a lot of Bolts before I retired. You can get a lot of the information you need from the data lists on your laptop but sometimes you have to measure.

LAJ 05-15-20 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21476816)

Fluke and Snap On snob here.

big john 05-15-20 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21476816)

No but I have a cheap no name meter which has served me well for decades. It can't do what a sophisticated meter can do but it does a lot.
When the leads went bad I bought some Fluke leads for it. They cost as much as the meter did. When they went bad I cut them open and soldered them back together.

BillyD 05-15-20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21476830)
No but I have a cheap no name meter which has served me well for decades. It can't do what a sophisticated meter can do but it does a lot.
When the leads went bad I bought some Fluke leads for it. They cost as much as the meter did. When they went bad I cut them open and soldered them back together.

A lot of times you might take a chance on a no-name device based on its build quality, but not being able to touch & feel things online makes it a crap shoot.

Velo Vol 05-15-20 01:22 PM

Hawks are mean.

BillyD 05-15-20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21476971)
Hawks are mean.

Hawks gotta eat, too. Notice the distinctive Bluejay tail feathers drifting away in the breeze.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...37e6098e85.jpg

Trsnrtr 05-15-20 02:03 PM

Closed on the house!

I’d help but my back hurts. :innocent:

Velo Vol 05-15-20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21477010)
Hawks gotta eat, too. Notice the distinctive Bluejay tail feathers drifting away in the breeze.

Based on a short aside I heard in a podcast the other day, bluejays are mean, too.

BillyD 05-15-20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21475818)
Nice mtb ride this morning. Same place as last Thursday's ride- the place BillyD was thinking looked like tick territory.

So this morning every spiderweb felt like a tick crawling on me. I even had to stop and check my ear this morning. Nope, not a tick. Spiderweb.

Thanks BillyD

So sorry.

BillyD 05-15-20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21477043)
Based on a short aside I heard in a podcast the other day, bluejays are mean, too.

Yep, they do tend to bully smaller birds, who in turn hire peregrines to exact revenge. It’s rough out there.

Velo Vol 05-15-20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21477135)
Yep, they do tend to bully smaller birds, who in turn hire peregrines to exact revenge. It’s rough out there.

They were talking about this. Looks like they exaggerated the prevalence.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/overview

Blue Jays are known to take and eat eggs and nestlings of other birds, but we don’t know how common this is. In an extensive study of Blue Jay feeding habits, only 1% of jays had evidence of eggs or birds in their stomachs. Most of their diet was composed of insects and nuts.

Lemond1985 05-15-20 03:22 PM

In an extensive study of Blue Jay feeding habits, only 1% of jays had evidence of eggs or birds in their stomachs.
Gross, did they hire some kids to shoot a bunch of them with bb guns? :wtf:

datlas 05-15-20 03:24 PM

It’s too hot.

Heathpack 05-15-20 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21476051)
Knife bar is ready for duty. With the finish, knives are staying put beautifully - no slipping, but they're not a bear to pull off, either.

(excuse the ****ty lighting in this corner of the kitchen)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...17c6cea8d9.jpg

Nice block.