Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

datlas 09-27-21 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22247409)
Question for the vegetarians here: Why did you choose a vegetarian diet?

It's the right thing to do for me. Good for my health, good for the planet, and good karma. Why not?

Mojo31 09-27-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22247414)
It's the right thing to do for me. Good for my health, good for the planet, and good karma. Why not?

No reason not to. Just curious about the reasons why people do one thing or another.

Mojo31 09-27-21 12:26 PM

Meanwhile, more dickhead **** in Tejas: A Teenager Hit Six Cyclists While Trying To Roll Coal And Was Not Arrested (msn.com)

Velo Vol 09-27-21 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22247414)
Why not?

Correct.

I'll add that I was raised as one, and, especially the last 20 years, the idea of killing animals for food seems bad to me.

BillyD 09-27-21 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22247312)
Well, then. Find out all of the details of the Six Flags meal plan.

- Available plan options
- Cost of each plan
- Benefits to plan participants
- Comparison to other dining-out options
- Comparison to dining at home

Report your findings to the group. Include recommendations for the most cost-effective option and best healthy meal plan.

. . . and show your work.

genejockey 09-27-21 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22247402)
I will try the Black Bean Burger with Waffle Fries, please.

"Fried Basket"? That sounds unappetizing. Possibly inedible.

Velo Vol 09-27-21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22247424)
. . . and show your work.

Already did.

To the surprise of no one, unless you get a season pass and eat there a lot, it's more expensive in the park than getting fast food down the road.

LAJ 09-27-21 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22247363)
Made a map of what I will call the "through route" of my tour:

Ride with GPS | Bike Route Planner and Cycling Navigation App

It does not show the many miles of day riding I did in and around Burlington, which included a trip north to ride the causeway. It also omits a some miscellaneous mileage where I started to go certain ways but had to turn back because of road conditions. Finally, it does not included mileage within campgrounds and in Hyde, where I did a few miles riding from my motel to a wine store and laundry and back. I had to fudge it between Taconic State Park and Millerton because Google Maps, which RWGPS uses, does not yet show the recently completed trail section between those two places. Shortened the first day by avoiding miles along the lake due to a steady 15-20 mph headwind with stronger gusts. Odometer, which was at 0 when I left the house for the train station a couple of miles way, ended up at 650. Sounds about right when you add the excluded mileage described above. I checked the computer against some road mile markers a couple of times and it was pretty much spot on.

According to RWGPS, there was 28,790' of climbing. Average of only about 49'/mile. Not excessively hilly, but due to a healthy number of trail miles, that figure doesn't tell the entire climbing story.

Holy crap. You almost made it to Canadialand. Nice jaunt!

datlas 09-27-21 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22247420)

That's messed up. Sad. Truly.

Mojo31 09-27-21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22247465)
That's messed up. Sad. Truly.

Probably won't be much happen to the kid even though something should happen to him.

I'm sure Bubba, Sr. merely told him not to get caught next time.

Trsnrtr 09-27-21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22247183)
Welp, time to take the girl to the pediatrician for a covid test - someone in her class tested positive. :notamused:

Oh, crap.

bampilot06 09-27-21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22247409)
Question for the vegetarians here: Why did you choose a vegetarian diet?

documentary “Game Changer”, i think that’s what it is called, really made me want to become one. Still havnt made the switch though.

indyfabz 09-27-21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22247397)
Because our healthcare system is dysfunctional and some people/organizations exploit it by gaming the system.

Sad!

I am not kidding when I say that I was in the building or about 20 min. and with the doctor for maybe 5 min.

When I used to have to bill hours I would always wrestle with questions like "Should I knock off a couple of minutes because I went to the bathroom even though I was thinking about what UI was working on? We used to bill in 15 min. increments. That all changed, at least at larger firms, when federal bankruptcy courts got annoyed at how much of a debtor's assets were going to legal fees in bankruptcy proceedings. They started changing their rules to require billing in 6 min. increments. Other clients then said "Hey. If your billing system can do that for debtor clients it can do it for me. You want to keep my business, you have to bill in 6 min. increments."

Interestingly, I and a former colleague once billed part of a Saturday morning bike ride. We were discussing a brief we had to write on a novel issue and actually came up with a good outline and arguments during the ride on Forbidden Drive.

indyfabz 09-27-21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22247459)
Holy crap. You almost made it to Canadialand. Nice jaunt!

That's where I started. St. Albans City is roughly 15 miles south of the border.

seedsbelize2 09-27-21 01:42 PM

I became a vegetarian while working as a cook in a steak house. We were reviving rotten steaks by soaking them in vinegar and then scrubbing the white scum off them.
Much later it turned into an ethics thing.

LAJ 09-27-21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22247526)
That's where I started. St. Albans City is roughly 15 miles south of the border.

Very nice. Since you started at the top, at least it was downhill.

genejockey 09-27-21 01:43 PM

I was taking the recently-acquired Ironman apart last night for restoration (and to make some room in the bike corner for the newly-returned Bianchi), and discovered I've lost my chain breaker. Spent half an hour searching fruitlessly, and almost gave up on finishing the tear-down, when a thought occurred to me:

Break the chain.

I mean, I won't reuse it, since it's old and a little rusty. So I grabbed 2 pair of pliers and twisted till a link gave out. Problem solved!

genejockey 09-27-21 01:54 PM

Also last night, I spent some time looking into wheelbuilding. Turns out you can download a PDF of the Jobst Brandt book. I'm curious to see if it's as knowledgeable, but annoyingly pedantic as JB was on rec.bicycles.tech....

I looked into rims, based on a suggestion above (rjones28?), and found that cheap rims are out of stock, but the expensive ones can be sourced. Of course. Next question is what kind of rims do I want? The current set are Velocity Aerohead, so the most straightforward thing is to just replace them with something like Velocity A23s. But do I want essentially the same wheels again? Or something a bit more modern? I was able to run 28mm tires on the Ritchey without too much fuss, apart from getting them through the brakes, but if I use a wider rim, the brake calipers will be farther apart, solving that problem. Of course, if they're out of stock everywhere that's moot.

Then spokes - I checked Sapims, and wow, do they make a lot of different spokes! Also at least half a dozen different kinds of nipples.

Since these 7400 hubs have been so good to me, I want to build them into really good wheels. But in the end, the best parts will still have a first time wheelbuilder building them. So.....

indyfabz 09-27-21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22247543)
Very nice. Since you started at the top, at least it was downhill.

This sign I passed is truth in advertising:

73 County Rd - Google Maps

MoAlpha 09-27-21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22247420)

Is there a concern about the effect of criminal sanctions on a perpetrator's future earnings and ability to pay civil penalties, or is that just stuff lazy prosecutors say?

WhyFi 09-27-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22247560)
Then spokes - I checked Sapims, and wow, do they make a lot of different spokes!

I will say this on spokes: if I build another set of wheels in the future, I'll pay the premium for bladed spokes; to me, the visual for wind-up is worth it, alone.

sbxx1985 09-27-21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22247498)
Probably won't be much happen to the kid even though something should happen to him.

I'm sure Bubba, Sr. merely told him not to get caught next time.

He'll get charged. Just not yet.

seedsbelize2 09-27-21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22247568)
I will say this on spokes: if I build another set of wheels in the future, I'll pay the premium for bladed spokes; to me, the visual for wind-up is worth it, alone.

It can be done with a bit of tape. And then you're not stuck with those ****** bladed spokes. I don't know what it is about bladed spokes, but we don't see eye to eye.

DougRNS 09-27-21 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22247446)
Already did.

To the surprise of no one, unless you get a season pass and eat there a lot, it's more expensive in the park than getting fast food down the road.

Note:
The area around 6 flags is a "food desert" so it might be a last resort thing. It doesn't make sense to us but it might work for reasons unknown.

Mojo31 09-27-21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22247565)
Is there a concern about the effect of criminal sanctions on a perpetrator's future earnings and ability to pay civil penalties, or is that just stuff lazy prosecutors say?

I've never heard that as a legitimate excuse for non-prosecution. Few criminals ever pay restitution or fines.

Inability to pay would certainly be a reason not to file a civil suit.