Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

big john 10-28-21 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22286729)
Maybe we need a thread with a poll. How often do you crash?

You might jinx everyone.
I've been pretty lucky on the road bike. I did have a clipless fall last year, first time in over 20 years.
It was a year on Oct 4th since I fell off the mtb. Still have pain from that.

BillyD 10-28-21 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22286702)
For a recreational rider? Without question - yes, that's a lot.

For 20-odd years before finding this bike forum I had never crashed, and the concept of crashing was totally unthinkable, because in NYC where I did my heaviest riding you could possibly get run over by vehicular traffic if you went down. It simply did not compute. But then the internet exposed me to other riders in other environments and I must say, it was a real culture shock.

BillyD 10-28-21 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22286710)
The two falls that I've had as an adult were because of ice. :notamused:

Same. Probably because of a city background where falling in traffic is unthinkable. I've also only fallen twice, once on ice and once where a steep hill around a bend surprised me and I failed to shift in time, dropped the chain and went down like Frazier. :lol:

BillyD 10-28-21 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22286910)
But then the internet exposed me to other riders in other environments and I must say, it was a real culture shock.

. . . as was riding during the winter and intentionally riding in the rain. Did not compute.

big john 10-28-21 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22286920)
Same. Probably because of a city background where falling in traffic is unthinkable. I've also only fallen twice, once on ice and once where a steep hill around a bend surprised me and I failed to shift in time, dropped the chain and went down like Frazier. :lol:

My ex-wife was extremely coordinated, she competed in artistic roller skating as a ute, (figure skating on roller skates). I rode bikes with her for 11 years and the only time I ever saw her fall was when she hit some ice while we were riding through snow in the mountains. She was riding alone on the street one time and a car pulled close to her and a guy leaned out the rear window and slapped her butt so hard she still had a red handprint when she got home. She almost fell that time but saved it.

WhyFi 10-28-21 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22286947)
She was riding alone on the street one time and a car pulled close to her and a guy leaned out the rear window and slapped her butt so hard she still had a red handprint when she got home.

I'd be lookin' to give back that red handprint. :notamused:

datlas 10-28-21 09:28 AM

I know clipless falls are common, but I don't think I have ever had one....

About 10 years ago, I got stuck at slow speed on a sandy section of the road, and my massive quads caused the rear wheel to totally spin out, and I had a 0.5 MPH tip-over crash which I could not clip out of. That's the closest I ever came to a clipliss fall, but I don't know if that qualifies. :foo:

MoAlpha 10-28-21 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22286961)

About 10 years ago, I got stuck at slow speed on a sandy section of the road, and my massive quads caused the rear wheel to totally spin out, and I had a 0.5 MPH tip-over crash which I could not clip out of. That's the closest I ever came to a clipliss fall, but I don't know if that qualifies. :foo:

I had a few bobbles when I was new to clipless pedals back in the 80s, one or two of which resulted in coming off the bike. I have had a bunch of crashes due to bad surfaces, been hit by cars four or five times, and gone down a few times from lapping wheels. These days I am very cautious because I'm old.

LAJ 10-28-21 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22286947)
My ex-wife was extremely coordinated, she competed in artistic roller skating as a ute, (figure skating on roller skates). I rode bikes with her for 11 years and the only time I ever saw her fall was when she hit some ice while we were riding through snow in the mountains. She was riding alone on the street one time and a car pulled close to her and a guy leaned out the rear window and slapped her butt so hard she still had a red handprint when she got home. She almost fell that time but saved it.

A Harley buzzed me one time and I felt something, and as it went by, the gal on the back had her arm out. It was a combined effort to do the same to me. They hung a left, and were heading into a bar. I followed them, and asked WTF. The runt on the other Harley with the Napoleon complex started mouthing off and I told him to just listen. I said: "We have enough issues with cars, why do you guys have to be that way? You get it, because cars don't treat you all that well either." The big guy piloting the bike with the gal on the back told the runt to shut the hell up, and apologized to me. He said "We'll do better." I said thank you, and went on about my day.

big john 10-28-21 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22286960)
I'd be lookin' to give back that red handprint. :notamused:

Yeah, if there was some way to find that guy....

datlas 10-28-21 09:51 AM

My crashes:

1986 Riding around Lake Montebello in Baltimore, Maryland....another "cyclist" ran into me to avoid a pedestrian, went down hard. Hip bruised and took a few weeks to heal.
1988 Maryland "State Games" crit in the wet, went through a tight turn and wiped out. Got back up again, next lap same thing happened. Minor hip bruise/road rash.
2012 Saw a small patch of ice/frozen runoff and thought I could make it. Went down hard and major hip bruise (similar to 1986) but took a few months to heal because older
2015 Group ride going over wet tracks, knucklehead in front of me was wobbly and crashed, forced me to change my line so of course I did too.
2019 Was getting ready for a left hand turn and signaling, left hand outstretched and watching for oncoming traffic, missed a small divot in the pavement and since bars were not evenly loaded, went down on right shoulder. Minor road rash but finished the ride.

BTW I rode lots from 1984-1990, then very little from 1990-2006, restarted 2006.

big john 10-28-21 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22286961)

Yes, I think that qualifies. My clipless fall last year was at a coffee stop when the guy I was following stopped short and I was leaning the wrong way and fell over in front of a bunch of people who were sitting at the outdoor tables. I jumped up quickly and took a bow and most of them laughed.

LesterOfPuppets 10-28-21 09:54 AM

Last one for me was 2018 I think. Handlebar snagged a tree while MTBing. Rang my bell a bit as my helmet hit a rock.

big john 10-28-21 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22286982)
A Harley buzzed me one time and I felt something, and as it went by, the gal on the back had her arm out. It was a combined effort to do the same to me. They hung a left, and were heading into a bar. I followed them, and asked WTF. The runt on the other Harley with the Napoleon complex started mouthing off and I told him to just listen. I said: "We have enough issues with cars, why do you guys have to be that way? You get it, because cars don't treat you all that well either." The big guy piloting the bike with the gal on the back told the runt to shut the hell up, and apologized to me. He said "We'll do better." I said thank you, and went on about my day.

I always felt like we have much in common with motorcyclists but occasionally one of them will act like a bozo around us.

LesterOfPuppets 10-28-21 10:00 AM

OK guys, just load it up. Start at the back and work your way forward...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCu1Ft5W...jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCu1FvkX...g&name=900x900

Velo Vol 10-28-21 10:01 AM

You people crash a lot.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22286788)
Would be a non-issue if you moved South. :innocent:

The last time I crashed was due to ice. #QuasiNorth

LesterOfPuppets 10-28-21 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22287011)
You people crash a lot.

Crashing is really the funnest part about cycling, as long as the bike still works after you pick it up and get back on it.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 10:06 AM

My morning activity took me here. DougRNS
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5049f85805.png

big john 10-28-21 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22287014)
Crashing is really the funnest part about cycling, as long as the bike still works after you pick it up and get back on it.

Not fun.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22287014)

Someone on the west coast has not fully woken up yet.

LAJ 10-28-21 10:13 AM

So you want to race crits.

DougRNS 10-28-21 10:16 AM

Day 4 of workcation.
Working so no vacation, off tomorrow.

@datlas "my massive guads" quality fiction..

I think BAM wrecks a lot but it's better at 3 ft above ground at 20 MPH VS. 38,000 ft above ground at 550 MPH

2 Pfizer shots - no discernable side effects not eligible for a booster AFAIK

Woke up and felt refreshed for the first time in years...no idea why. pretty sure I have sleep apnea which can contribute to AFIB.

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

BillyD 10-28-21 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22286992)
BTW I rode lots from 1984-1990, then very little from 1990-2006, restarted 2006.

I rode lots from 1976-1990. Then child-rearing occupied most of the next 10 years. Restarted a couple years later, got my midlife crisis bike in 2004 and rode lots more until Lyme struck in 2016.

Maybe I can resume one of these days.

big john 10-28-21 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22287034)

Are you in that mess?