Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

datlas 10-28-21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287144)
I would assume any nerve issues related to surgery would present immediately. There are ascending brainstem presentations of neurodegenerative diseases, e.g., Parkinson (Lewy body pathology), which can present with dysphagia/achalasia. It's too bad you can't get a neurologist to take a critical look at her.

She saw her neurosurgeon who (of course) ordered an updated cervical MRI which by report did not show anything obvious.

It's shocking how few neurologists we have here. If you cold-call a general neurologist as a new patient, they will tell you they will see you in 4-6 months. I believe most neuro residents are doing fellowships and staying in academia because private practice is a ****show.

datlas 10-28-21 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22287173)
She saw her neurosurgeon who (of course) ordered an updated cervical MRI which by report did not show anything obvious.

It's shocking how few neurologists we have here. If you cold-call a general neurologist as a new patient, they will tell you they will see you in 4-6 months. I believe most neuro residents are doing fellowships and staying in academia because private practice is a ****show.

BTW her sister (not my patient) called the office ranting that it's my fault she can't get into neuro and threatening to sue me for malpractice/neglect and patient abandonment.

As above, private practice is a ****show.

genejockey 10-28-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22286697)
In 13000 miles I have crashed a total of 5 times. Failed to unclip 3 times.

5+3=8.

Is that a lot?

Yes. I haven't crashed in 20 years.

MoAlpha 10-28-21 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22287173)

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22287175)
BTW her sister (not my patient) called the office ranting that it's my fault she can't get into neuro and threatening to sue me for malpractice/neglect and patient abandonment.

As above, private practice is a ****show.

:(:(:(

If it's any comfort, I don't think your patient is missing out on anything particularly effective by way of intervention.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22287175)

Are you the scheduler for all the doctors in Malvern?

genejockey 10-28-21 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22286961)
I know clipless falls are common, but I don't think I have ever had one....

About 10 years ago, I got stuck at slow speed on a sandy section of the road, and my massive quads caused the rear wheel to totally spin out, and I had a 0.5 MPH tip-over crash which I could not clip out of. That's the closest I ever came to a clipliss fall, but I don't know if that qualifies. :foo:

When I first started riding clipless, I ALMOST fell over at a stoplight, but my panic as I tipped caused my foot to twist and release, so I didn't fall. But my VERY FIRST time riding with them, I was staring down at my foot as I tried to clip in, rolling across the street in the little cul-de-sac where we lived then. Suddenly the curb on the opposite side loomed up and I found myself down.

But the last time I crashed was probably around 1998 or so. I brought a bike to work, and I was riding around some of the back streets in South City (aka South San Francisco) and I tried to ride over some old, old rails at an oblique angle. The wheel followed the tracks, the handlebar didn't, and I went down. Low speed, though, so nothing bruised but my dignity.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 12:06 PM

I've fallen over once due to unclipping. No one behind me, fortunately.

Every now and then I have a scare.

LAJ 10-28-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287071)
I got punched in the thigh once. Scared the dog **** out of me, but nothing happened.

Another time, I was run into the curb and four teens got out and started hitting me. Fortunately, another driver stopped.

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22287166)
wtf.

WTF is right. I'm not sure what I would do in that case.

LAJ 10-28-21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287087)
Yet another reason to take the inside.

In sailing, you have to give room if the other boat establishes an inside overlap before you're within three boat lengths of the mark (usually a 180 degree turn). That would be useful for bike racing.

Cat 4 bike racing. I'm not sure rules apply, :)

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22287103)
Sorry

Thanks. I'm still here, so life is good.

genejockey 10-28-21 12:13 PM

Part of why I don't crash probably has to do with the fact that I don't race, and I don't even do group rides anymore. Still, that year of riding with PenVelo left me with some mild skillz, so that on the C&V group rides I found I can still ride two-up in a small space with a skilled partner, and ffeather the brakes to maintain a gap with the rider in front. But I still suck at calling out hazards and not riding off the front if I'm there - it's just too much fun, riding downhills at speed.

LAJ 10-28-21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22287120)
Ouch.

My one and only crit crash was my last year of racing (2004). My front wheel slid out on a turn in the last couple laps of a State Champ race. I managed to take out a teammate, but he used my body as a soft place to land. No structural damage, but I lost some skin.

Earlier that year, I was second wheel going into turn 1 on the last lap of a crit, and the first guy lost traction and slid hard into the curb, directly in front of my wife, daughter, MIL, and SIL. They were horrified, and so distracted that they didn't see me win the race.

Mrs. LAJ refuses to watch me race. After that, I tried hill climbs and TT's and it sucked so bad, Mrs. LAJ told me to go race my bike. She still won't come to a race though.

Eric F 10-28-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22287224)
Mrs. LAJ refuses to watch me race. After that, I tried hill climbs and TT's and it sucked so bad, Mrs. LAJ told me to go race my bike. She still won't come to a race though.

I always hated TT efforts. I preferred the kind of racing where I could suck wheel until the last 200m, and then unleash the fury stored my yumbo guads.

genejockey 10-28-21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22287240)
I always hated TT efforts. I preferred the kind of racing where I could suck wheel until the last 200m, and then unleash the fury stored my yumbo guads.

I prefer the kind of racing where somebody screwing up just in front of me doesn't put me on the ground, which is probably why even though I really like watching NorCal Cycling's crit videos, I only race on Zwift.

LAJ 10-28-21 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22287240)

TT's are hard. Put a bowl of **** between your forearms, and eat up.

Eric F 10-28-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22287244)
I prefer the kind of racing where somebody screwing up just in front of me doesn't put me on the ground, which is probably why even though I really like watching NorCal Cycling's crit videos, I only race on Zwift.

I raced over 100 crits and road races, and was on the ground just one time. Maybe I was just lucky. I know having decent bike handling skills saved my bones more than a few times, however. Nor Cal videos are very entertaining, for sure.

Eric F 10-28-21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22287251)
TT's are hard. Put a bowl of **** between your forearms, and eat up.

No, thank you.

genejockey 10-28-21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22287260)
I raced over 100 crits and road races, and was on the ground just one time. Maybe I was just lucky. I know having decent bike handling skills saved my bones more than a few times, however. Nor Cal videos are very entertaining, for sure.

I'm too scared of crashing to get in and mix it up. If I raced real crits I might not crash, but I sure as hell wouldn't win, either. At the moment, with my fitness level at the top of the 'D' range, it's fun because I am on the podium more often than not. Once I graduate to 'C', I suspect it will be less fun. :rolleyes:

LAJ 10-28-21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22287260)

Yep. That's one of the few times I've gone down, and I'm there in the number of races I've done, as well. I'm also a firm believer of being in the drops during close racing. It's much easier to get the elbows out, as the need may arise, and less likely for other bars to intrude into that space.

mvnsnd 10-28-21 01:13 PM

I'll never forget one of my first group rides where one of the older guys who was a racer came up beside me within a few inches. Unnerving for sure, but kept calm and rode on. That was a quick introduction to riding with the faster group :twitchy:

genejockey 10-28-21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22287282)
I'll never forget one of my first group rides where one of the older guys who was a racer came up beside me within a few inches. Unnerving for sure, but kept calm and rode on. That was a quick introduction to riding with the faster group :twitchy:

These days I see so many people riding two-up, taking up a big slice of the road. The rider on the outside riding in the MIDDLE of the bike lane, and the inside rider practically in the right hand wheel track in the traffic lane. Both of them unable to hold a line, so they're both wobbling, but then they wobble more because the other rider's wobbling....

And doing this on a road that, despite having ginormous wide bike lanes, also has car traffic going 50-60 mph.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 01:52 PM

Breakfast time (cheerios)

WhyFi 10-28-21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22287319)
Breakfast time (cheerios)

?

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/T...=488&fmt=pjpeg

Velo Vol 10-28-21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22287320)
?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ecacd13b5.jpeg

MoAlpha 10-28-21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22287219)
Cat 4 bike racing. I'm not sure rules apply, :)

I was a Cat 4 when there was no Cat 5 and promotion to Cat 3 was non-competitive. :50:

MoAlpha 10-28-21 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22287215)
WTF is right. I'm not sure what I would do in that case.

Being a trained special operator, I rolled up into a ball on the grass and protected my face with my arms. I think I yelled “help!” a lot, too. Fortunately the enemy lacked my elite training and didn’t do any real damage. They ran away when the other guy stopped.

My helmet saved me from injury too!