Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

genejockey 10-29-21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22288527)
I've not seen anyone wearing apples.

Oh, ye of little faith....
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...14eabf9e3.jpeg
But what I meant was that Dad worked for a fruit processing company from the end of WWII till he retired at 78 in 1996, with a 3 year stint at a tech startup in the late 50s.

indyfabz 10-29-21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22288543)
No middle-man. There is pruning involved, so...

1x gearing, disc brakes and tubeless-ready?

MoAlpha 10-29-21 01:13 PM

How are you feeling datlas?

I was just asked to stand by to take first consult call on NYE, probably "sleeping" in house, if the fellow scheduled to do it doesn't have some international paperwork issue straightened out by then. I had no plans and it pays about a grand. I just don't want to kill anyone. Fortunately, there's a backup attending: ...me.

Eric F 10-29-21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22288532)
I'm functional enough in the morning that I don't have a problem managing grinding, pulling a shot, and frothing milk. What I can not abide is a 30+ minute warm-up time for the machine, so I do have it on a timer.

In terms of the Mrs, she thought that I was pretty silly with all of this nonsense, at first, but now she's completely addicted and has a hard time functioning without the morning latte. I usually take the airplane oxygen mask approach to the morning coffee, though - I help myself before assisting others in need. :D

Of course. You will do a better job assisting others once you are caffeinated.

genejockey 10-29-21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22288532)
I'm functional enough in the morning that I don't have a problem managing grinding, pulling a shot, and frothing milk. What I can not abide is a 30+ minute warm-up time for the machine, so I do have it on a timer.

In terms of the Mrs, she thought that I was pretty silly with all of this nonsense, at first, but now she's completely addicted and has a hard time functioning without the morning latte. I usually take the airplane oxygen mask approach to the morning coffee, though - I help myself before assisting others in need. :D

As one does.

WhyFi 10-29-21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22288562)
Of course. You will do a better job assisting others once you are caffeinated.

...and I'm more personable. :o

datlas 10-29-21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22288558)
How are you feeling datlas?

I was just asked to stand by to take first consult call on NYE, probably "sleeping" in house, if the fellow scheduled to do it doesn't have some international paperwork issue straightened out by then. I had no plans and it pays about a grand. I just don't want to kill anyone. Fortunately, there's a backup attending: ...me.

Thanks for asking. I am so-so. Still have a mild headache and low energy, but surviving and I am hopeful that a good night's sleep tonight will leave me feeling fine for Saturday.

How are you??

p.s. I advise you spend the on-call money on bike schwag

MoAlpha 10-29-21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22288577)
Thanks for asking. I am so-so. Still have a mild headache and low energy, but surviving and I am hopeful that a good night's sleep tonight will leave me feeling fine for Saturday.

How are you??

I’ve been fine since late yesterday morning.

MoAlpha 10-29-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22288577)

How are you??

p.s. I advise you spend the on-call money on bike schwag

That goes without saying. I also have a scheduled royalty payment for a patent on a device I had little or nothing to do with inventing. It’s going to be a schwaggy winter!

Velo Vol 10-29-21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22288586)
I also have a scheduled royalty payment for a patent on a device I had little or nothing to do with inventing.

How do I get in on this action? I have little to nothing to add on lots of inventions.

genejockey 10-29-21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22288586)
That goes without saying. I also have a scheduled royalty payment for a patent on a device I had little or nothing to do with inventing. It’s going to be a schwaggy winter!

(Don't say you had nothing to do with it. You can invalidate a patent if one of the inventors had nothing to do with it, as I understand it)

genejockey 10-29-21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22288596)
How do I get in on this action? I have little to nothing to add on lots of inventions.

The answer is NOT "work for a company in BioPharma research", because you get a dollar when a patent is issued, and maybe a thank you email. Basically, "A laurel, and hearty handshake".

rjones28 10-29-21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22288555)
1x gearing, disc brakes and tubeless-ready?

Certainly, no tubes.

indyfabz 10-29-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22288611)
Certainly, no tubes.

Kid tested, mother approved?

rjones28 10-29-21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22288614)
Kid tested, mother approved?

Yes. My niece's kids love it.

Mojo31 10-29-21 02:26 PM

No biking today, still blowing in the 40s.

But, I did attend a sporting clay event hosted by a friend of mine. The guest of honor was Vince Hancock, who won the gold medal in the 2020, 2012, and 2008 Olympics in men's skeet shooting. First time in my life I've met an Olympic athlete, much less a medal winner. He even had his medals there for us to check out.

The scoring was hard though with the winds being so high.

BillyD 10-29-21 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22288480)
The rjones28 Cidery produces organic, single-origin apple cider. ;)

Everything we grow is organic, that's why the lawn unfortunately is only 40% grass, the rest is weeds. :rolleyes:

My pear tree is outdoing itself this year, generating several pear give-aways and lots of pear sauce and cobblers. I've been here 16 years and this is the best its ever done. If only one could accurately predict the harvest based on the conditions in the spring, but there're so many factors.

big john 10-29-21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22288551)

But what I meant was that Dad worked for a fruit processing company from the end of WWII till he retired at 78 in 1996, with a 3 year stint at a tech startup in the late 50s.

I can't imagine working until 78. 65 was ridiculous. Of course, I never had a job I liked.

BillyD 10-29-21 03:13 PM

Sustainable.

DougRNS 10-29-21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22288691)
Sustainable.

Green

Eric F 10-29-21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22288596)

Following.

DougRNS 10-29-21 03:18 PM

After my much needed and well deserved nap, I did my ironing. :bday:

Mojo31 10-29-21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22288698)
After my much needed and well deserved nap, I did my ironing. :bday:

I'm going to let my wife pick up my laundered and pressed shirts at the laundry. Unless she tells me to do it.

Mojo31 10-29-21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22288687)
I can't imagine working until 78. 65 was ridiculous. Of course, I never had a job I liked.

I'll probably keep working past 65, but no way until 78! My plan is to cut back to part time at least by 67.

Not sure what I would do with my time if I quit work.

big john 10-29-21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22288685)
Everything we grow is organic, that's why the lawn unfortunately is only 40% grass, the rest is weeds. :rolleyes:

My pear tree is outdoing itself this year, generating several pear give-aways and lots of pear sauce and cobblers. I've been here 16 years and this is the best its ever done. If only one could accurately predict the harvest based on the conditions in the spring, but there're so many factors.

I wish I was close enough to be invited to a pear give away. I've been lucky the last few weeks with pears after getting some crappy ones before that.

My ex planted a pear tree (and others) when we lived in the mountains. Never got any of them before that whole situation went south.