Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How Many Consecutive Days Have You Ridden? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1204278)

jjafterdark 06-10-20 06:39 PM

How Many Consecutive Days Have You Ridden?
 
I'm at about 2 and a half weeks and yesterday, I was very, very tired. I did ride, but rode far more slowly than usual.

I ride anywhere from 1 to 2.5 hours a day, varying between harder and longer and hillier rides, interspersed with much easier rides at a more mellow pace. Yesterday I rode slowly because I had to.

Do you take days off every week? The weather's so nice I feel like riding pretty much every day now.

roskobosko 06-10-20 07:18 PM

I like to use a HRM to better gauge the level of my workouts. If you feel like you need to rest, that is a good indicator that you need to rest.. If you are losing weight or can't sleep, that is another indicator. Try some easy restorative rides when needed. BTW - I'm not an expert, this weather is great, nice to be out!

mstateglfr 06-10-20 07:20 PM

I geek on cycling, but dont ride more days than I do ride.

Rode 7 days in a row that ended yesterday so that's the longest this year.

Pugs2xLove 06-10-20 07:29 PM

27 straight days so far even in a downpour this morning. Keeping the streak alive!

jjafterdark 06-10-20 07:32 PM


Originally Posted by roskobosko (Post 21527051)
I like to use a HRM to better gauge the level of my workouts. If you feel like you need to rest, that is a good indicator that you need to rest.. If you are losing weight or can't sleep, that is another indicator. Try some easy restorative rides when needed. BTW - I'm not an expert, this weather is great, nice to be out!

What's interesting is that on some days I'm completely convinced prior to the ride that I need a rest day but then I do go out and ride, and have a great ride where I can push the pace as much as I want.

MattTheHat 06-10-20 07:38 PM


Originally Posted by jjafterdark (Post 21526972)
I'm at about 2 and a half weeks and yesterday, I was very, very tired. I did ride, but rode far more slowly than usual.

I ride anywhere from 1 to 2.5 hours a day, varying between harder and longer and hillier rides, interspersed with much easier rides at a more mellow pace. Yesterday I rode slowly because I had to.

Do you take days off every week? The weather's so nice I feel like riding pretty much every day now.

Today is day 89. I average a little over two hours per day. I use a HRM and a power meter as well as monitor my heart rate variability. I try to use them to avoid overtraining, but some days I just have to take it easy and enjoy a slower ride.

My longest streak last year was 33 days. I find lighter days with recovery rides are more effective for me than taking days completely off.

DrIsotope 06-10-20 08:00 PM

Longest ride streak overall: 69 days, during which I covered 2,665 miles and climbed 100,000ft. It was too much. I burned out and it took almost 6 months to recover.

Longest ride streak in 2020: 14 days-- but in that time I only covered ~400 miles and ~13k feet. I've cut back on both duration and intensity for 2020.

Longest activity streak: ongoing. I have recorded a run/walk/hike/ride of at least 45 minutes every day since December 9th of last year.

Doug64 06-10-20 10:49 PM

My wife and I rode across the U.S from Newport, OR to Boston, MA in 74 consecutive days averaging a little over 50 miles a day

We were self-supported, and camped when possible.
https://live.staticflickr.com/784/41...4643d021_c.jpg

indyfabz 06-11-20 06:14 AM

I got that beat. :)Seattle to Bar Harbor in 93 days. Rode at least a bit every rest day. Then I rode home to Philly. Only one off day, during which I rode from my campground outside of Hyde Park, NY, to tour the Vanderbilt Mansion and to get groceries. A few days later I even rode a few miles in a hurricane to take shelter in a motel.

pdlamb 06-11-20 09:04 AM

I took a couple days off during my TransAm, so only 30 or so days in a row on that trip. The days off helped me recover, recharge, and stay excited for the remainder of the trip.

I think my maximum consecutive riding days was around six or eight weeks. Late in that streak, and shortly afterward, I came to the recognition that (a) I wasn't getting paid for that; (b) I liked riding a bike because it was fun; and (c) after riding that many consecutive days through the summer heat, it didn't seem like that much fun any more.

So now I don't count consecutive riding days. If I'm tired, or the weather's miserable, I don't ride that day. Funny thing is, without the pressure, even a ride the next day in pouring rain seems fun again.

rydabent 06-11-20 09:04 AM

At nearly 82 I find that riding every other day, with a rest day in between is better. At my age riding every day is rather tiring.

Koyote 06-11-20 09:09 AM

Bodies need recovery.

Reynolds 06-11-20 10:03 AM

83 days today... on my trainer.

Doug64 06-11-20 10:42 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21527622)
I got that beat. :)Seattle to Bar Harbor in 93 days. Rode at least a bit every rest day. Then I rode home to Philly. Only one off day, during which I rode from my campground outside of Hyde Park, NY, to tour the Vanderbilt Mansion and to get groceries. A few days later I even rode a few miles in a hurricane to take shelter in a motel.

:thumb:
Yeah, but I was 64 years old at the time:)

reverborama 06-11-20 11:13 AM

This spring I've ridden every day since April 1.

indyfabz 06-11-20 12:18 PM


Originally Posted by Doug64 (Post 21528130)
:thumb:
Yeah, but I was 64 years old at the time:)

:D Good point. I was only 34. But it was my first tour.

indyfabz 06-11-20 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by reverborama (Post 21528203)
This spring I've ridden every day since April 1.

April fools?:D

hubcyclist 06-11-20 02:50 PM

i'm on 10 days of consecutive riding. I do my fitness riding indoors from about 7-9 and this week I've done 6 additional hours outside with my 9 y/o, which really isn't much since the effort level is so low. Generally, though, I do 6 days of workouts and Mondays off.

Troul 06-11-20 03:55 PM

10 days this year. I'd never had the time in past years, but the covid event made it possible this year. Might try for another before this year is done if I can find more time.

Doug64 06-11-20 06:10 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21528329)
:D Good point. I was only 34. But it was my first tour.

Just giving you a hard time, meant in a friendly way. Your route was longer, plus the additional mileage. I think it being your first tour is what makes it even a greater accomplishment. Long tours are sometimes more of a mental challenge than the physical. Dealing with the mental hurdles is often much harder than tackling the hardest hills on a long tour.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.