Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

WhyFi 07-04-20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21568899)
Oh, I noticed the past few rides that my rear wheel makes a quiet but audible pinging sound under load. Silent when coasting or pedaling at Z2 or less.It sounds like the spokes are shifting slightly where they overlap, and I can reproduce a similar sound if I manually move the spokes where they cross.

The tension and trueness of the wheel is indeed off a bit, so my best guess is that's WHY the sounds are happening. I suppose I should put a tiny drop of oil at each junction for now.

Comments??

Fatty.

Bah Humbug 07-04-20 12:25 PM

Time for Hamilton on Disney+. Don't wait up.

rjones28 07-04-20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21568618)
Logistically, they moved it to somewhere else, just as Austin 70.3 got moved to Waco. The number of Ironman races isn't really going down yet, but the shorter local races are drying up (and reducing even here and in Boulder), and once the feeder series is gone, the big-time is in trouble.

Couple of things worked against Syracuse 70.3 (other than the general decline in triathlon); first the bike course is pretty hilly, I hear triathletes hate that, second it was scheduled for Father's Day weekend, many participants and local residents didn't like that.

But, WTC bought a popular triathlon in the region, Musselman in Geneva, last year. So, Central New York gets to have a triathlon again. :)

rjones28 07-04-20 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21568664)
Assuming you mean Ironman, I think a half is $375 and a full is $750. The kicker is then you have (often) the flight, the bike transport, minimum 5-night hotel stay, and so on. You're lucky to get out of the weekend for only $3k, and that's before the price of everything like the wetsuit and the P5X and the Roka Maverick Pro and Nike 4%s and so on. While you can compete (and do fairly well) on much lesser equipment (as I did for years), the gear-obsessive culture creates the impression that you're in for $10k or more to just do your local sprint. Then you see that you can roll out of bed and drive to a 5k/ 10k/ marathon/ CrossFit gym/ whatever, and you don't even have to pretend to learn how to swim.

Our shop was the official bike shop of Syracuse 70.3 for many years. I worked our race weekend store once. OMG, those people are like locust. We would make a special X-Labs buy just for that weekend and had little inventory to bring back to the shop.

Velo Vol 07-04-20 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21568906)
Apparently serious sourdough bakers have names for their starter.

I suggest IL-6.

Bah Humbug 07-04-20 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21568971)
Couple of things worked against Syracuse 70.3 (other than the general decline in triathlon); first the bike course is pretty hilly, I hear triathletes hate that, second it was scheduled for Father's Day weekend, many participants and local residents didn't like that.

But, WTC bought a popular triathlon in the region, Musselman in Geneva, last year. So, Central New York gets to have a triathlon again. :)

The hilly thing is a fact (for the majority, the unwashed masses, the unserious).

But your post reveals the problem: to the normal person, Ironman grew so large that it's synonymous with triathlon. Central New York had a ton of smaller and shorter triathlons, but to the Ironman crowd and the public at large, those don't count.

bampilot06 07-04-20 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21568962)
I do, of course, though I never bother to use them.

I couldn’t think of a good one for my cervelo. I gave up a after the first week of owning. Does this mean I am not a serious cyclist?

Bah Humbug 07-04-20 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21568989)
I couldn’t think of a good one for my cervelo. I gave up a after the first week of owning. Does this mean I am not a serious cyclist?

I don't even know what it means. I like the idea, but it doesn't matter in practice.

bampilot06 07-04-20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21568997)
I don't even know what it means. I like the idea, but it doesn't matter in practice.

More sarcasm than anything.

kissTheApex 07-04-20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21568762)
I made and drank my first cup of home-brewed coffee since I stopped being addicted. I gave away 2 kilos, but still have 2 kilos around. My wife tells me it's a slippery slope, but my take is that if I don't drink it til ten. it's hardly an addiction. I've been drinking late morning instant coffee throughout. I'm also making the sacrifice of drinking it filtered. No way to get addicted, as filtering takes out all the flavor. Who knows, I may not ever rinse and repeat.
I ground it with the Victoria Mill I earlier recommended to trainsnorter.
On the subject of drink, I have recently been grating Belizean full fat cacao into my vanilla protein smoothies, for a much improved flavor

it sounds dangerously like “I can quit whenever I want.”

Trsnrtr 07-04-20 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21568904)
I would consider this but since my bread consists solely of flour, water, and a pinch of salt (plus the living/breathing sourdough starter, I still have not yet named it), it only has a shelf life of 3 days so by the time you get it, it would not even be worthy of your consumption.

In that case, you better get your ride on. :D

Trsnrtr 07-04-20 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21568959)
Do serious cyclists have names for their bikes?

Mine won’t get past the censor.

rjones28 07-04-20 01:18 PM

Oh, I noticed the past few rides that my rear wheel makes a quiet but audible pinging sound under load. Silent when coasting or pedaling at Z2 or less.It sounds like the spokes are shifting slightly where they overlap, and I can reproduce a similar sound if I manually move the spokes where they cross.

The tension and trueness of the wheel is indeed off a bit, so my best guess is that's WHY the sounds are happening. I suppose I should put a tiny drop of oil at each junction for now.

Comments??

I wouldn't bother with masking the noise with lube. Check the spoke tension. While you're at it, check the rim for imminent spoke hole failure. While you're there look at the nipples for cracks. Next look at the hubs and the j-bend in the spokes.

rjones28 07-04-20 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21569045)
I wouldn't bother with masking the noise with lube. Check the spoke tension. While you're at it, check the rim for imminent spoke hole failure. While you're there look at the nipples for cracks. Next look at the hubs and the j-bend in the spokes.

Or turn up your Walkman and ride them until something breaks. :innocent:

Bah Humbug 07-04-20 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21569045)

I wish there were more options for all-carbon wheels like the Trispoke. Spoke tension gives me the willies.

rjones28 07-04-20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21568987)
The hilly thing is a fact (for the majority, the unwashed masses, the unserious).

But your post reveals the problem: to the normal person, Ironman grew so large that it's synonymous with triathlon. Central New York had a ton of smaller and shorter triathlons, but to the Ironman crowd and the public at large, those don't count.

I know the "little" races. Lots of folks around here prefer sprint and intermediate distances. There's even a popular event in Cazenovistan that also has two aquabike distances . :)

Velo Vol 07-04-20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21569058)
There's even a popular event in Cazenovistan that also has two aquabike distances . :)

wut

rjones28 07-04-20 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21569025)
Mine won’t get past the censor.

Mine already had names when I adopted them.

rjones28 07-04-20 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21569050)
I wish there were more options for all-carbon wheels like the Trispoke. Spoke tension gives me the willies.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ad069fa557.jpg

rjones28 07-04-20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21569060)
wut

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6685d94a15.jpg

Bah Humbug 07-04-20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21569068)

Ok I meant good ones. Not them, not MadFibers, not Spinergy. Trispokes or a wider 2-spoke.

noodle soup 07-04-20 02:05 PM

A close friend tested positive for Covid-19 yesterday, and today he lost taste/smell.

We did a few rides together last week, and had beers after(outside). I'm not freaking out, but I'm self-quarantining until next Friday..

LAJ 07-04-20 02:06 PM

Against all warnings, ol Razor bought a set of Spinergy death wheels. I assume he's still alive.

MoAlpha 07-04-20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21569106)
A close friend tested positive for Covid-19 yesterday, and today he lost taste/smell.

We did a few rides together last week, and had beers after(outside). I'm not freaking out, but I'm self-quarantining until next Friday..

Hope it passes you by.

Had a non-socially distanced ride with six guys today, for the first time since March. Hope we’re all clean.

LesterOfPuppets 07-04-20 02:13 PM

Comments??

Either ignore the noise or wire-tie and solder those puppies.