Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

datlas 08-03-21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22169424)
Had a rear tubeless flat on me Colnago 12 miles from home. Sealed fine and made it in, no problem, except the back of my bibs and my bike are going to need a serious cleaning.

We have a whole collection of sophomoric jokes we tell each other when that happens.

Bah Humbug 08-03-21 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22168628)
Interesting concept. Like a HUD for your bike

https://engoeyewear.com/?fbclid=IwAR...FbweDfll9Smzzw

The Recon Jet is like a decade old now. Maybe this one will be more successful.

indyfabz 08-03-21 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22169424)
Had a rear tubeless flat on me Colnago 12 miles from home.

Is today National Talk Like a Pirate Day?

Mojo31 08-03-21 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22169407)
In the water?

I don't get sailing.

On the sailing stream they were summarizing a race and said one boat had to finish after another boat to win the gold medal. wut

Sailing regattas are based on points scored during a series of races. Sometimes you don't even have to race the final race if all of the other boats are so far behind in points that it does not matter.

As for your other question, I can be sailing at a boat speed of 10 knots, but if the current is 3 knots against me, then I am only moving across the ground at 7 knots per hour. Speed through the water and speed across the ground are both important in longer distance races. Speed through the water tells me how efficiently I'm sailing the boat - all sails are properly trimmed, weight/ballast is in the right places, boat is being steered well, etc. If I'm too slow over the ground, I may want to look for a different route.

Olympic races don't worry about those two things as much since the races involve short legs. In Olympic style races you are mainly concerned with your boat speed versus the competition, whether your boat is more directly pointed toward the turning marks, and which side of the course has better wind/conditions. Speed and compass bearing are the two measurements that are most important in small boat racing, and after that you want your head "out of the boat" and learning from what is going on around you.

Mojo31 08-03-21 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22169458)

Sept. 19

Mojo31 08-03-21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22169412)
Making his parents proud!

Did he say that his dad is an attorney?

If that was my kid and I got the call, my advice would be to tell him to figure it out himself. Can't condone stupid.

indyfabz 08-03-21 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22169333)

Ohio Man flying through Philly on his way to Florida. Seems about right.

indyfabz 08-03-21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22169368)
Boasting about a medium amount of money isn't going to impress very many people, especially when you act like complete trash.

Especially if you are flying Frontier in coach. (Do they even have Business Class?)

Mojo31 08-03-21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22169462)
Sept. 19

Today is National Grab Some Nuts Day.

MoAlpha 08-03-21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22169407)
In the water?

I don't get sailing.

On the sailing stream they were summarizing a race and said one boat had to finish after another boat to win the gold medal. wut

Had to or could?

MoAlpha 08-03-21 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22169405)
I know, right! And, that's not even a medium amount of money these days.

Bill Cosby said it best: "Your mother and I are rich. YOU have nothing!"

It’s a few years of long-term care, is what it is.

Mojo31 08-03-21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22169493)
It’s a few years of long-term care, is what it is.

Maybe a bit more. My MIL's memory care after her stroke that left her partially paralyzed runs about $85k/yr.

MoAlpha 08-03-21 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22169507)
Maybe a bit more. My MIL's memory care after her stroke that left her partially paralyzed runs about $85k/yr.

My parents’ joint burn rate with home care in NYC was roughly 300,000/yr and it still sucked and gave my brother PTSD.

datlas 08-03-21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22169531)
My parents’ joint burn rate with home care in NYC was roughly 300,000/yr and it still sucked and gave my brother PTSD.

Does this have something to do with medical cannabis???

MoAlpha 08-03-21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22169549)

I wish.

indyfabz 08-03-21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22169482)
Today is National Grab Some Nuts Day.

A local morning newscaster on a station here likes to announce the "national days." I missed it today, but I am going to guess he left that one off the list.

Trsnrtr 08-03-21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22169458)

I actually wrote it that way. I’ve been watching a lot of British detective shows so me speech is changing.

datlas 08-03-21 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22169549)

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22169556)
I wish.

Fun fact: I am now credentialed to certify patients to get medical cannabis in Pennsylvania. However I purposefully asked the state to not put me on the searchable database. I only want to offer this to existing patients, when appropriate.

Mojo31 08-03-21 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22169560)
Fun fact: I am now credentialed to certify patients to get medical cannabis in Pennsylvania. However I purposefully asked the state to not put me on the searchable database. I only want to offer this to existing patients, when appropriate.

I have aches and pains, and cannot take Ibuprofen. Can you sign me up?

Mojo31 08-03-21 01:42 PM

Close encounter with a grizzly may land a beary good meal in the hoosgow.

Cellphone snapshot of grizzly has Yellowstone tourist facing federal charges (msn.com)

Bah Humbug 08-03-21 01:48 PM

So AG's work has a new workflow that involves project managers hand-writing JSON files of a few hundred lines. No one appears to have realized how bad an idea this is yet, as she's the first going through it. Their internal tools team would rather play with RPMs than resolve the workflow issue.

Of course I taught myself some Python and cooked up a script to do it in a few hours, and will be improving it. But good lord.

Mojo31 08-03-21 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22169577)
So AG's work has a new workflow that involves project managers hand-writing JSON files of a few hundred lines. No one appears to have realized how bad an idea this is yet, as she's the first going through it. Their internal tools team would rather play with RPMs than resolve the workflow issue.

Of course I taught myself some Python and cooked up a script to do it in a few hours, and will be improving it. But good lord.

Any good pictures?

Mojo31 08-03-21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22169531)

I believe it for full-time home care for two.

It's hard to prepare for getting old.

indyfabz 08-03-21 01:59 PM

So I have started to make some reservations for a planned post-Labor Day tour home from New England. Booked a night at a KOA in MA. Came back to BF and started seeing KOA ads.

MoAlpha 08-03-21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22169560)

God, no! For a while there was a pain doc locally with the same last name. It was about that time that I stopped picking up my desk phone.

BTW, LSS had her lumpectomy and bilateral reconstruction yesterday. I had no idea care that good—aggressively and cheerfully efficient and thorough, from diagnosis to follow-up—was even available. What a change from the military system, where we were for 27 years, and the above average HMOs we were in before that. Some things are getting better.