Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

WhyFi 09-03-21 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22213079)
Anyone know much about cell phone networks? My wife and kids use tracfone and unlocked iPhones of 4-6 year vintage to save $$. They work great and we have had no big problem for years.

Somehow, something changed with the network and their 4G/LTE data won't work anymore. It works for 3G. Curiously, Heidi's works in California but the other 2 don't work here in Philadelphia.

I have called Tracfone and spent a few hours with their representatives, they have me do the usual (turn phone on/off, update software, they initiate some type of network reset) but it still does not work. I can't tell if the problem is with the phones or the cellular network or the provider or what, but I suspect it's something about the cellular network since the problem was "cured" by moving to LA.

For now I am telling them to be satisfied with 3G but that is painfully slow. Advice? I may have to stop being a cheapskate and get them better phones/plan but I am a thrifty guy.

And you didn't bump in to a monthly data limit or anything? If not, yeah, I'd suspect it's a network change/screw-over that you can't really do anything about.

BillyD 09-03-21 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22213070)
I know. Did you miss my photos from yesterday?

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22213112)
Missed them.

Incorrect. I did see them. Tragic stuff, all from rain, not storm surge.

indyfabz 09-03-21 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22213112)
Missed them.

Here's one. I-676 through town, which connects I-76 with I-95. Very busy route. Cleared for semis, so you can get an idea of the depth of the water.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8ee51a749.jpeg

BillyD 09-03-21 07:31 AM

Yep, saw them. What these unprecedented events tell us is that our engineering specs need to be upgraded to handle the stronger storms of an untamed climate. Clearly the drainage systems cannot contain torrential rains. I've lived in the NYC vicinity all my life and have NEVER heard of people being drowned in their apartments in NYC as occurred with this storm.

ls01 09-03-21 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22212620)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a1cba8978b.png

I thought I read Pro somewhere, but this is way I was referring to as the Kickr core pro.

just get the core, unless you are going to take it places. Mine has been fantastic. But it just sits there I don't need the handle. It's a couple hunerd cheaper if memory serves.

WhyFi 09-03-21 08:07 AM

All of the trainer talk has me thinking that I should upgrade my dumb trainer to a smart trainer so that I don't have to buy a rear wheel that'll accept a trainer tire.

bampilot06 09-03-21 08:31 AM

Initially the trainer is more for my wife than me. She hasn’t ridden now in a couple of months and she’s at the point now where she is frustrated and doesn’t want to “start over.”. Plan is to throw her bike on it when I am at work, and set up zwift, so that way she can ride with some of the local ladies when the the weather starts to cool off.

I plan on maybe getting trainer road or something similiar, however, one of my co workers is really big in the cycling world. Lives near datlas, he said he would start training me, and giving me pointers. He’s really big into maximizing the most out of each muscle and making changes at a cellular level.

I admit talking to him currently I am way over my head, but he’s got a lot of patience and he is extremely passionate about the sport. He’s worked with a lot of big names, and is helping to open a velodrome up in PA.

With that being said found out that there is a local race night ever tuesday during the summer in Richmond. Don’t think i’ll get to one this year, but I really hope I can participate next year.

MoAlpha 09-03-21 08:40 AM

One of my post-bacc research assistants has been doing a few commutes and fairly regular weekend rides, but nothing that looks like training. Her Strava feed is now showing 50 mi/3500' vertical group rides at 20 mph and QOMs all over the place. I asked her when she was going pin on a number and kick some ass. She'd be a real sleeper too: small and innocent looking. Alas, no interest other than remarking how nice it would be to ride with women for a change.

datlas 09-03-21 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22213210)
All of the trainer talk has me thinking that I should upgrade my dumb trainer to a smart trainer so that I don't have to buy a rear wheel that'll accept a trainer tire.

I just use an old tire. The wear is not bad.

#thrifty

big john 09-03-21 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22213265)
One of my post-bacc research assistants has been doing a few commutes and fairly regular weekend rides, but nothing that looks like training. Her Strava feed is now showing 50 mi/3500' vertical group rides at 20 mph and QOMs all over the place. I asked her when she was going pin on a number and kick some ass. She'd be a real sleeper too: small and innocent looking. Alas, no interest other than remarking how nice it would be to ride with women for a change.

Some of the fastest riders I have known, men and women, have no interest in racing. One woman, and a great climber, joined a team and started riding and training with them. She didn't like anything about it,, the structure, the rules, none of it. Plus, she was probably bored because none of them were on her level. She could slay the local 2s and here she was training to be a 5.

WhyFi 09-03-21 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22213265)

In perusing Leaderboards, I've noticed a lot of QOMs going to women in similar conditions: good climbers on account of being light with decent w/kg and (presumably) being sheltered in the draft of stronger companions on the flatter stuff, where their lower absolute power would be a detriment.

ksryder 09-03-21 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22213316)

#thrifty

That was my strategy but when I upgraded from a dumb trainer (Cyclops Fluid) to a smart trainer (Wahoo KICKR Snap) it started burning through tires really, really quickly.

I bought an actual trainer tire for the first time in my life and lowered the PSI to about 80, seemed to help.

WhyFi 09-03-21 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22213316)

#thrifty

Regular tires are more prone to slip with my massive torquage and have been significantly more noisy than a dedicated trainer tire, IME. Also, the Zipps are tubeless only and I just don't want bother with all that that would entail; either I'm putting a decent tire through wear and tear or I'm using a tire on its last leg and I'd need to swap it out on those rare, but delightful, occasions when the roads clear for a day or two of winter skinny tire riding.

Trsnrtr 09-03-21 09:29 AM

I prefer direct drive. I shimmed all of our bikes and the trainer so that I can switch bikes back and forth with no shifting problems. It really is no big deal to take the bikes off and on and no trainer tire blow-outs.

Now that we have two Kickrs, I’ll be able to devote a trainer to both my wife and I and we’ll be able to ride at the same time.

bampilot06 09-03-21 09:41 AM

My buddy has the snap and his only issue with it, it skips at high power settings.

LAJ 09-03-21 09:47 AM

My trainer has a groove worn in the steel wheel where the tire interfaces with it.

#thriftierthandatlas

Eric F 09-03-21 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22213324)
Some of the fastest riders I have known, men and women, have no interest in racing. One woman, and a great climber, joined a team and started riding and training with them. She didn't like anything about it,, the structure, the rules, none of it. Plus, she was probably bored because none of them were on her level. She could slay the local 2s and here she was training to be a 5.

There's a guy about my age who has been one of the strongest riders on my local area for the 30-ish years I've known him. The only time I remember him pinning on a number was as part of a team 24-hour MTB race that I was also part of. For local KOM's he's at or near the top of the leaderboard, whether it's dirt or road. His wife was a pretty good MTB racer in the '90s. Their kid (currently 18yo), is a stud, and has no fear of numbers and pins.

Jack Tone 09-03-21 09:55 AM

From a Kickr vs Kickr Core comparison:$300 more for the Kickr buys you —

The Kickr is more stable

Doesn’t need assembly out of the box

Folds up for better storage

Easier to transport because it has a handle

Comes with a cassette included

Comes with Cadence sensor included

Heavier Flywheel

More Max Wattage

More Max Grade

Edit: I absolutely prefer a wheel off trainer like either choice. I've got the original Tacx Neo and love it, after having a wheel on Tacx.

indyfabz 09-03-21 10:18 AM

Sound system fired up for Made in America. The mess starts tomorrow. :mad:

MoAlpha 09-03-21 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22213324)

Yeah, my kid said the group rides were competitive enough and she'd gotten racing out of her system (and presumably proved whatever she had to prove) in her years of college track. She's plenty disciplined and will do very well in medical school next year.

I've basically sucked at competitive running, sailing, and especially cycling, but couldn't have lived with myself if I hadn't gone out there and seen what I could actually do.

datlas 09-03-21 10:25 AM

I just got word that we now have to boil our water.

#PostApocalypseIsReal

DougRNS 09-03-21 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22213475)

#PostApocalypseIsReal

reminds me of this. If you listen to the lyrics you'll know why.

big john 09-03-21 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22213462)
Yeah, my kid said the group rides were competitive enough and she'd gotten racing out of her system (and presumably proved whatever she had to prove) in her years of college track. She's plenty disciplined and will do very well in medical school next year.

I've basically sucked at competitive running, sailing, and especially cycling, but couldn't have lived with myself if I hadn't gone out there and seen what I could actually do.

I rode motorcycles in the desert for 10 years. Rode with some racers and was around some well known racers at times. I knew I was never going to be in their league and I didn't want to mix it up with a bunch of beginners.
I can say almost the exact same thing about bicycling, except more years.

big john 09-03-21 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22213475)

#PostApocalypseIsReal

You still have electricity, gas, and water to the house?

datlas 09-03-21 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22213490)
You still have electricity, gas, and water to the house?

For now, yes. But we did lose internet yesterday for several hours. :twitchy: