Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

rjones28 10-04-21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22256838)
Until now I was unaware bottle cages had names. None of mine have names, that I'm aware of. All but one are aluminum, and some are 30 or so years old.
#nometalfatiguehere

The cheap aluminum cages I have on some of my bikes and collecting dust in parts bins do not have names. Although some of them have bike shop names printed on them.

sbxx1985 10-04-21 02:48 PM

We have the same shed/bike situation. Don't tell anyone.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22256903)
Bottle cages on bikes found in the drop bar section of the rjones28 motorpool.

S-Works Carbon Rib Cage III in natural carbon weave
Standard Rib Cage II in red and white

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3ac02aa8d4.jpg

Mojo31 10-04-21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256866)
I just did a telemedicine visit with a patient who is also a fellow cyclist. He said he knows FOUR cyclists who have been killed while riding, including an ex co-worker who got hit head-on by a car that crossed the center lane recently. He said he is pretty much done with road cycling due to safety concerns. I told him I respect that decision. Sad.

Wow!

rjones28 10-04-21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22256869)
It wasn't rusted.

Fatigue? From a small bottle of water? What is this nonsense?

Water bottle cages flex a little every time you load or unload a bottle.

rjones28 10-04-21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22256878)
It's not the bottle per se, but rather the flexing of the cage when you put the bottle in and take it out.

:)

sbxx1985 10-04-21 02:51 PM

Tacx Tao was also a cheaper winner, but people complained the plastic tabs on the bottom broke off. Didn't happen to me. I think they got discontinued.

genejockey 10-04-21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22256922)
The cheap aluminum cages I have on some of my bikes and collecting dust in parts bins do not have names. Although some of them have bike shop names printed on them.

I have about half a dozen cheap white aluminum cages taken off my C&V bikes. Half of them are marked "Specialized". I'm not a big fan of the cheap white aluminum bottle cages.

WhyFi 10-04-21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22254968)
My current night rider has the rubber strap that you have to stretch around the bar, the Madone SLR bars are too wide for it to stretch around.

Are light manufactures creating all quick release equal? I wouldn’t thing my night rider could fit the the bontrager light mount.

Are the backs of garmin and wahoo the same? I was under the impression they would be different, to the point a garmin mount wouldn’t match a wahoo and wahoo mount wouldn’t match a garmin. The bars come with the mount on the picture for a garmin, to fit a wahoo I would have to buy an after market mount. The only one that I have found that will do the above set up is through trek and it basically turns the wahoo from 280.00 dollars to 350.00 dollars.

Getting back to this because I forgot about it after seeing it last light night:

No, not all lights have the same quick release plate, but (last I looked) Bontrager had a few different ones out there - I recall that my stem came with one or two. You'll have to check your light when you get home. It might be just the band and no release, which would be a bummer. I lost the other post, though - you were saying that you wouldn't be able to get something else because you were thinking that you needed the new light. Was that just a budget thing or attaching it all to your bike thing?

Yeah, the Garmin QR plates and Wahoo QR plates are the same, just 90° offset. When I went from the old Bolt to the 530, I kept my out-front mount but was able to unscrew it, turn it 90° and screw it back in (it had two sets of screw holes, probably for just this kind of flexibility/manufacturing ease).

Oh, and FWIW, it looks like K-Edge is making mounts for those Madone bars, with or without the GoPro mount underneath, which can be used for a variety of lights or cameras, with the proper adapter.

rjones28 10-04-21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22256890)
It is important. For example, when I was young, I paired the new Zipp carbon cages with Enve wheels. The horror.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...53a29d100e.jpg

:twitchy:

sbxx1985 10-04-21 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22256866)
I just did a telemedicine visit with a patient who is also a fellow cyclist. He said he knows FOUR cyclists who have been killed while riding, including an ex co-worker who got hit head-on by a car that crossed the center lane recently. He said he is pretty much done with road cycling due to safety concerns. I told him I respect that decision. Sad.

It's scary out there during rush hour. We've been overrun by people from out of state and some can't drive and have no patience. It's a lot more dangerous than it used to be. Sad.

Eric F 10-04-21 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22256904)
What about an aluminum bat?

Aluminum will eventually fail due to fatigue. It is the nature of the material, regardless what it is used for. The higher the load of the cycles, the faster it will fail.

It's rare to see aluminum bats in the softball world these days, beyond the very youngest age groups playing in their local rec league. My daughter's HS team has some old team bats that are aluminum, but no one really uses them. My daughter has been armed with composite bats since she was 9. I have no idea if youth baseball is the same or not. They seem to change the regulations on bats every couple of years, and I have no idea what the current standards are.

genejockey 10-04-21 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22256940)
Aluminum will eventually fail due to fatigue. It is the nature of the material, regardless what it is used for. The higher the load of the cycles, the faster it will fail.

It's rare to see aluminum bats in the softball world these days, beyond the very youngest age groups playing in their local rec league. My daughter's HS team has some old team bats that are aluminum, but no one really uses them. My daughter has been armed with composite bats since she was 9. I have no idea if youth baseball is the same or not. They seem to change the regulations on bats every couple of years, and I have no idea what the current standards are.

Okay, so wooden bats *crack*, and aluminum bats *ping*. What do composite bats do?

Eric F 10-04-21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22256914)
Thanks. I came to my senses on the next one. Mandible was the best strength/weight option. Two cages for serious riders.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9354b4402a.jpg

Those are nice looking cages. Totally appropriate for that bike.

rjones28 10-04-21 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22256923)
We have the same shed/bike situation. Don't tell anyone.

Mudroom. Next to the exit,, for rapid deployment.

Expanded view.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ae33f4a2a1.jpg

sbxx1985 10-04-21 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22256940)

The little league bat regulations are a pain. Bat checks before games. You can't just buy a bat and expect to use it. Different bats are allowed at tournaments.

bampilot06 10-04-21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22256933)
Getting back to this because I forgot about it after seeing it last light night:

No, not all lights have the same quick release plate, but (last I looked) Bontrager had a few different ones out there - I recall that my stem came with one or two. You'll have to check your light when you get home. It might be just the band and no release, which would be a bummer. I lost the other post, though - you were saying that you wouldn't be able to get something else because you were thinking that you needed the new light. Was that just a budget thing or attaching it all to your bike thing?

Yeah, the Garmin QR plates and Wahoo QR plates are the same, just 90° offset. When I went from the old Bolt to the 530, I kept my out-front mount but was able to unscrew it, turn it 90° and screw it back in (it had two sets of screw holes, probably for just this kind of flexibility/manufacturing ease).

Oh, and FWIW, it looks like K-Edge is making mounts for those Madone bars, with or without the GoPro mount underneath, which can be used for a variety of lights or cameras, with the proper adapter.

It was a budget thing. Comes down to where my night rider will work or not. If it works, then I don’t have to get a light set specifically for the madone, which would free up money for the varia. If it doesn’t then the light set would take the place of the varia.

Similiar with the wahoo. If I can get it to work with the mount provided then that’s great, but if I have to get the k-edge I don’t see the benefit of the wahoo.

After doing more research I’m leaning towards the 530 as it is.

I have other options to play around with cost as well. I don’t have to get the kickr, I can go the core route which would free up some more money.

When the bike comes in, and I test ride it, I then have to decide If I even like the 58. I know the stem and the bars that come on it are going to be too long and to wide, But the bike might still be too big for my liking.

If I go with it, i’ll order the slr bars I’m thinking i’ll need a 90 stem and 40 wide bars, and I will have them do a complete cost of everything. Kickr, computer, bars, cages, lights, varia, cassette for the kickr (9 speed) to see what it comes to. When I placed the order he said he would give me 10 percent off everything which would help. It needs to come to around 9400 after taxes so I can still get the left arm power meter for the cervelo. I havnt talked to him yet if I can get that through him, might have to order that from power meter city.

Eric F 10-04-21 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22256945)
Okay, so wooden bats *crack*, and aluminum bats *ping*. What do composite bats do?

My daughter's current bat sounds a lot like a small-caliber rife shot when she squares one up. The barrel is dual layer, and a big part of it is the sound of the outer layer slamming into the inner layer. It's quite satisfying. The sound does vary a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on the construction of their barrel. Some are a little more muted, some more brittle-sounding, There was a model out a few years ago that almost sounded like breaking glass. I was not a fan of that sound.

EDIT: Here's a reasonable example of how my daughter's bat sounds. I've found the recorded sound varies a LOT depending on which device I'm using . This sounds a lot like what my ears hear...

bampilot06 10-04-21 03:14 PM

Thanks. I came to my senses on the next one. Mandible was the best strength/weight option. Two cages for serious riders.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5ffc8cd024.jpg

thats a sick looking bike.

Eric F 10-04-21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22256952)
The little league bat regulations are a pain. Bat checks before games. You can't just buy a bat and expect to use it. Different bats are allowed at tournaments.

Softball has regulations, too, and bats get checked at the bigger events. However, it's not nearly as nutty as LL baseball. I'm, fairly convinced the frequent reg changes are driven by the bat manufacturers. Change the rules, and everyone is buying a new $400 bat for their kid.

LAJ 10-04-21 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22256890)
It is important. For example, when I was young, I paired the new Zipp carbon cages with Enve wheels. The horror.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...53a29d100e.jpg

Still good. Awesome bike, and those cages can be CL'd at anytime.

LAJ 10-04-21 03:35 PM

This too.

LAJ 10-04-21 03:36 PM

I go Serfas and Blackburn, because I trust them. I have to go with what holds those bottles in based on the garbage dirt we have to race on.

BillyD 10-04-21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22256860)
Since I lost that bit of weight, almost a year ago now(wow!), my wedding ring has been falling off a lot. I'm thinking of wrapping it with angora yarn to make it fit better. Thoughts?

Tacky.
#youasked

WhyFi 10-04-21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22256956)
It was a budget thing. Comes down to where my night rider will work or not. If it works, then I don’t have to get a light set specifically for the madone, which would free up money for the varia. If it doesn’t then the light set would take the place of the varia.

Similiar with the wahoo. If I can get it to work with the mount provided then that’s great, but if I have to get the k-edge I don’t see the benefit of the wahoo.

After doing more research I’m leaning towards the 530 as it is.

I have other options to play around with cost as well. I don’t have to get the kickr, I can go the core route which would free up some more money.

When the bike comes in, and I test ride it, I then have to decide If I even like the 58. I know the stem and the bars that come on it are going to be too long and to wide, But the bike might still be too big for my liking.

If I go with it, i’ll order the slr bars I’m thinking i’ll need a 90 stem and 40 wide bars, and I will have them do a complete cost of everything. Kickr, computer, bars, cages, lights, varia, cassette for the kickr (9 speed) to see what it comes to. When I placed the order he said he would give me 10 percent off everything which would help. It needs to come to around 9400 after taxes so I can still get the left arm power meter for the cervelo. I havnt talked to him yet if I can get that through him, might have to order that from power meter city.

If you've got a Night Rider, I would bet that you'd be able to get a proper QR plate for it.

The 530 is a good unit. I don't think that you could really go wrong between the two, either way. I do like the fact that the Garmin does ANT+ light control, though, which is nice for the Varia and even better if the headlight is compatible, too. Nav is slightly better, too. Wahoo set-up is a little easier, but you do that once, really - big whoop.

WhyFi 10-04-21 03:43 PM

I mean, for rim brakes, that's pretty hot. :p