Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

datlas 02-28-22 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22423906)
The wind is supposed to ease up a bit tomorrow. Climbing Latigo with a headwind is a special kind of chore.

What about Baldy with a headwind?

Mrs datlas wants to see the Getty Villa, looks like today works best, so Latigo with a headwind it is! Want to join me??

seedsbelize2 02-28-22 10:35 AM

The anti-parasitic did its job. I'm bursting with energy this morning, for the first time since (likely) before I contracted the virus. I'll give it another day before calling it all good though. The virus and its aftermath do odd things. They give you bad hours followed immediately by good ones, during, and good and bad days in the aftermath. I will take the given opportunity to ride a bike today.

indyfabz 02-28-22 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22423805)
Now that I think about it, I don't own any wishbone seatstay bikes... #justification

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...JQ&oe=62215C52

I had a Schwinn 754 BITD. Total piece of junk.

indyfabz 02-28-22 10:44 AM

Totally forgot that my new Grateful Red tail light is supposed to be delivered today.

big john 02-28-22 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22423952)

Mrs datlas wants to see the Getty Villa, looks like today works best, so Latigo with a headwind it is! Want to join me??

No ride for me today. Wish I could.
I don't think the wind is nearly as bad on Baldy. I have done Latigo when it's so windy you can yell at your riding friends and they can't hear you.
The San Gabriel mountains are more shielded, at least on that side. It's why we ride from Pasadena to the east when it's windy. It was so nice there yesterday but when I got home it was howling. It's howling now.

DougRNS 02-28-22 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22423952)

Is that like Col. Mustard with the lead pipe?

Asking for a friend.

genejockey 02-28-22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22424022)
Is that like Col. Mustard with the lead pipe?

Asking for a friend.

Well, I think we all have experienced killer headwinds.....

LAJ 02-28-22 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22423960)
I had a Schwinn 754 BITD. Total piece of junk.

That Schwinn Aluminum frame is an acquired taste. It rides like a truck. I don't think 25's will fit that bike, either.

Eric F 02-28-22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22423966)
No ride for me today. Wish I could.
I don't think the wind is nearly as bad on Baldy. I have done Latigo when it's so windy you can yell at your riding friends and they can't hear you.
The San Gabriel mountains are more shielded, at least on that side. It's why we ride from Pasadena to the east when it's windy. It was so nice there yesterday but when I got home it was howling. It's howling now.

Barely a breeze in Pasadena, at the moment.

indyfabz 02-28-22 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22424093)
That Schwinn Aluminum frame is an acquired taste. It rides like a truck. I don't think 25's will fit that bike, either.

That bike got left in the alley decades ago. So many problems with that thing. The internal seat post clamp was not strong enough. The rear wheel had to be warrantied. Then the front one started breaking spoke. The real killer was when I was riding it home up a long climb after I had picked it up from the Pittsburgh Amtrak station. I kept hearing little tings periodically. Couldn't figure out what was going on, but the drivetrain was acting wonky. Came to discover that the noise I was hearing were bearings falling out the freewheel. IIRC, it came with SunTour GPX group. This all happened in less than a year of ownership.

When I finished school the next year I bought a Bianchi SLX with Shimano 600.

genejockey 02-28-22 12:51 PM

Not too bad.
Wordle 254 3/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

LesterOfPuppets 02-28-22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22424093)

I always call those Schwinns 454s because I can't remember the bike's number, but could always remember the engine :)

https://ls1tech.com/wp-content/uploa...S-exterior.jpg

genejockey 02-28-22 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22424103)

I took a detour from the freeway on the way to work this morning, and passed by Crystal Springs Lake, which was glassy smooth. I wish it had been so yesterday morning, but instead there was a Southerly headwind for 8 miles.

LesterOfPuppets 02-28-22 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22424104)
That bike got left in the alley decades ago. So many problems with that thing. The internal seat post clamp was not strong enough. The rear wheel had to be warrantied. Then the front one started breaking spoke. The real killer was when I was riding it home up a long climb after I had picked it up from the Pittsburgh Amtrak station. I kept hearing little tings periodically. Couldn't figure out what was going on, but the drivetrain was acting wonky. Came to discover that the noise I was hearing were bearings falling out the freewheel. IIRC, it came with SunTour GPX group. This all happened in less than a year of ownership.

Hey, I had a brand new Suntour freewheel come apart on me too. 1988 Mongoose Alta with XCM stuff. Had to make the call of shame, took it back to the shop and they put a new freewheel on.

LAJ 02-28-22 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22424104)

Dang. I have heard the seat post assembly was troublesome to some. I'm lucky. Mine came with 105, and Wolber rims. I did have to replace the rims after 20 years, so I went with Velocity Deep V's.... Not a wise choice if one doesn't like a harsh ride. It went to riding like a full dump truck, to riding like an empty one. I still like riding it.

LAJ 02-28-22 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22424109)
I always call those Schwinns 454s because I can't remember the bike's number, but could always remember the engine :)

https://ls1tech.com/wp-content/uploa...S-exterior.jpg

Exactly. I had trouble remembering if mine was 648 or 684.

big john 02-28-22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22424103)

You have those big-ass mountains blocking for you. The house was shaking here about 30 minutes ago.

indyfabz 02-28-22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22424113)
Hey, I had a brand new Suntour freewheel come apart on me too. 1988 Mongoose Alta with XCM stuff. Had to make the call of shame, took it back to the shop and they put a new freewheel on.

My 754 was either '89 or '90 vintage.

genejockey 02-28-22 01:42 PM

After dropping out of two structured workouts last week, I just went back and looked at one of them and compared it to when I'd successfully completed that workout back in November. Same power profile, but my HR last week was WAY higher! The workout involves a ramp section from 130w up to 235, followed by 3 minutes at 150 or so, then 295 w for 2 minutes, 245 for 1 minute, 295 for 1 minute, and 245 for 2 minutes before a 5 minute recovery.

In November, I finished the Ramp section with my HR at 127, then it dropped back to 111 during the 3 minute recovery, and then by the end of the 2 minutes at 295 it was up to 147.

Last week, I finished the Ramp at 148, only dropped back to 135 during the 3 minute recovery, and then by the end of 2 min at 295, I'd hit 163!

No wonder I felt unable to do the workout! Not sure what that was all about. Was I ill and didn't notice?

phrantic09 02-28-22 02:25 PM

Got the email today that I’m off the waitlist and in Rasputitsa. I think 4 of us are going up and we found a place in Burke VT to stay. Bonus is that it’s only 40 minutes from Hill Farmstead brewery.

I have a feeling it’s going to be exceptionally muddy, I hope it is.

rjones28 02-28-22 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22424223)
Got the email today that I’m off the waitlist and in Rasputitsa. I think 4 of us are going up and we found a place in Burke VT to stay. Bonus is that it’s only 40 minutes from Hill Farmstead brewery.

I have a feeling it’s going to be exceptionally muddy, I hope it is.

:thumb:

Trsnrtr 02-28-22 03:13 PM

We finally got a 54° day but it was 16 mph winds gusting to 20 out on the open prairie. Still, my wife had me take her bike off of the Kickr and we headed out. She promptly hurt me. I’ve decided to break her Kickr next winter. :rolleyes:

seedsbelize2 02-28-22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22424105)
Not too bad.
Wordle 254 3/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

What does the yellow square mean?

genejockey 02-28-22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22424304)
What does the yellow square mean?

It means that letter is present in the word, but not in that place.

Mojo31 02-28-22 03:41 PM

New tunes day from an old group. Actually pretty good, too.

Can you identify from this pic?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5169555206.jpg