Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 03-03-22 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22427279)
So...My tail light hasn't shown up despite Amazon saying it was delivered to my office on Monday. I checked tracking information and confirmed after a call with Amazon that it was delivered to the USPS on Monday. In my experience, that adds a few days to the delivery time despite the USPS saying it was delivered. Amazon refunded my money. I suspect the USPS will deliver it today or tomorrow.

So much for convenience.

Free light?

indyfabz 03-03-22 12:40 PM

lplo

indyfabz 03-03-22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22427288)
I light it with a Loof Lighter (LOOFT Lighter I LO1-US (homedepot.com)). If you haven't ever used one of those, you might give it a look. No fluid, paper, or chimney required.

Dang! Found a quick video on line. That looks like the thing for me. I have power out back on the deck. Kitty would also appreciate it. He runs away whenever use fluid and paper. Thanks!

Maybe I will try Amazon. Might end up getting it for free. :D

LesterOfPuppets 03-03-22 12:53 PM

Non Porsche non ass pic of the day, aeronautical edition:

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...Ug&oe=622690DF

Mojo31 03-03-22 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22427307)
Dang! Found a quick video on line. That looks like the thing for me. I have power out back on the deck. Kitty would also appreciate it. He runs away whenever use fluid and paper. Thanks!

Maybe I will try Amazon. Might end up getting it for free. :D

It's basically a really hot heat gun. I've been using mine for over 8 years.

Mojo31 03-03-22 01:17 PM

Such a cute pump.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f586c95167.jpg

phrantic09 03-03-22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22427240)
If you're doing the one-bike solution, rather than moving PMs among multiple bikes, and you want to have pedal flexibility for road and off-road, I think that going crank-based makes a lot of sense (I personally wouldn't do the Stages/4iiii route, though, unless they've gotten their DS problems straightened out recently).

Thats how I’m leaning right now but I’m too annoyed with busting a chain today to think about it

LAJ 03-03-22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22427159)
48 degrees.

I am thinking back, and I don't believe I've ever seen one in any of the races I've been a part of. Maybe I didn't look... Who knows. It's just one more thing to mess with that you don't really need.

bampilot06 03-03-22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22427233)
Only if that the ONLY thing you're wearing.

48 degrees is that temperature where I don’t know what to wear. My castelli thermal jersey would be perfect but with the effort I will be putting out I am sure to over heat. Jersey might not be warm enough. Do I wear shorts? or long tights? I think I M just going to bring my whole collection and figure it out later. I only have heavy gloves or my summer fingerless gloves. Race was originally 40 mins long and now it’s 30. Originally I didn’t care about trying to place, but now I really want to win. Or podium, I just don’t want to kill myself doing it, and I have no strategy at all, other than try and get into the front pack early and if a group breaks away stay with them, I don’t plan on chasing a single person making a breakway attempt.

bampilot06 03-03-22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22427351)
I am thinking back, and I don't believe I've ever seen one in any of the races I've been a part of. Maybe I didn't look... Who knows. It's just one more thing to mess with that you don't really need.

Perfect thank you. I meant to look at the last race I went to watch and completely forgot about it.

genejockey 03-03-22 02:21 PM

"Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while"
Wordle 257 2/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 03-03-22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22427364)
48 degrees is that temperature where I don’t know what to wear. My castelli thermal jersey would be perfect but with the effort I will be putting out I am sure to over heat. Jersey might not be warm enough. Do I wear shorts? or long tights? I think I M just going to bring my whole collection and figure it out later. I only have heavy gloves or my summer fingerless gloves. Race was originally 40 mins long and now it’s 30. Originally I didn’t care about trying to place, but now I really want to win. Or podium, I just don’t want to kill myself doing it, and I have no strategy at all, other than try and get into the front pack early and if a group breaks away stay with them, I don’t plan on chasing a single person making a breakway attempt.

Shorts, short gloves, and jacket - in 30 minutes you won't overheat that quickly.

You've got too many things on your mind. Pick your one focus, and don't let distractions get in your way.

I've never raced a bike, but have raced other things, and know that any type of indecision will sink you.

genejockey 03-03-22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22427388)
Shorts, short gloves, and jacket - in 30 minutes you won't overheat that quickly.

You've got too many things on your mind. Pick your one focus, and don't let distractions get in your way.

I've never raced a bike, but have raced other things, and know that any type of indecision will sink you.

On the plus side, since this is his first race, he doesn't know the other riders, and has no teammates, he's spared a lot of the tactical thinking that NorCal Cycling goes into. Maybe the simplest approach is "stay NEAR, but not AT the front, and sprint like hell from that position in the last 300 yards"?

phrantic09 03-03-22 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22427364)

Leg warmers, arm warmers, jersey and gilet

phrantic09 03-03-22 02:44 PM

So, my chain was doing that jumping **** again. A few of the links seemed stuck and it was happening on a number of different gears. The chain doesn’t engage and slides over the top of the cassette.

was climbing a small hill and everything let go- the quick link failed- it was fully and properly engaged and one side snapped while the other bent in half. This was the first use of that link.

I may just give up on this wax nonsense and go back to drip. I don’t want to, but this is a major ass pain.

I’m chucking every Shimano quick link I have (bought them all from Bezos)and solely using the YBN links I picked up with a chain

phrantic09 03-03-22 02:47 PM

WhyFi you’re using Power2max right? NGEco?

I can directly replace GRX w/ same spacing with a 24mm Rotor crank.

Mojo31 03-03-22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22427410)
So, my chain was doing that jumping **** again. A few of the links seemed stuck and it was happening on a number of different gears. The chain doesn’t engage and slides over the top of the cassette.

was climbing a small hill and everything let go- the quick link failed- it was fully and properly engaged and one side snapped while the other bent in half. This was the first use of that link.

I may just give up on this wax nonsense and go back to drip. I don’t want to, but this is a major ass pain.

I’m chucking every Shimano quick link I have (bought them all from Bezos)and solely using the YBN links I picked up with a chain

Wow, I've never had anything like that happen. Also have never heard of that happening due to a QL, and QLs come on a lot of bikes these days.

Of course, my skinny quads only put out about 20w on a good day.

Mojo31 03-03-22 02:55 PM

In my quest to improve drive line efficiency to offset my poor motor (yep, I know!), I indulged in some BBinfiniti ceramic stuff, including 12/12T pulley wheels . Went that route so I wouldn't have to buy longer chains.

Instead, they sent a 14/12T set. Not sure if I can use those with my current chains. Sent an email to BB, but have not heard back yet. Anyone know the answer to the question of whether moving from 11/11T to 14/12T in the stock 105 cage will require a longer chain?

phrantic09 03-03-22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22427417)
Wow, I've never had anything like that happen. Also have never heard of that happening due to a QL, and QLs come on a lot of bikes these days.

Of course, my skinny quads only put out about 20w on a good day.

They came in a bag from Amazon (no shimano packaging) so probably just cheap knock off

gnome 03-03-22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22427339)

It looks like a toy. Will it be an actually useful pump when it grows up?

genejockey 03-03-22 03:27 PM

I had an SRAM PC-870 QL problem in building the Litespeed. When I put it together with the Sachs/Campy Frankengruppo, it went together without a problem. I tried to reuse the chain and QL after I'd rebuilt it with the 7410 DA group, and it was hopping everytime it went through the RD. I traced the problem to the QL, which was acting like a stiff link, but I couldn't fix it. I finally ditched it and went with the original, lightly used 8-sp chain I'd taken off the Ritchey when I converted it to 10 speeds. It also has a QL, but that went on with no problem. So, now I have a basically new SRAM 8 speed chain that's cut real short, and no QL.

genejockey 03-03-22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22427442)

I'm tempted to make an off-color joke here, but I'll refrain.

LAJ 03-03-22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22427405)
Leg warmers, arm warmers, jersey and gilet

Yes, less the vest. A number needs to be visible.

Mojo31 03-03-22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22427442)

We'll see someday, I'm sure.

Which is not a pump?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fdc953c3c8.jpg

genejockey 03-03-22 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22427467)
We'll see someday, I'm sure.

Which is not a pump?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fdc953c3c8.jpg

I have a Lezyne Road Drive minipump that actually works really well. The only problem is that it takes FOREVER to fill a 28, and 28s are what I run on both of the bikes that won't hold a frame pump.