Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

indyfabz 07-15-22 05:03 AM

So close and yet so far.

Wordle 391 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 07-15-22 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22575236)
So close and yet so far.

Wordle 391 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Same

Trsnrtr 07-15-22 05:48 AM

Wordle 391 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

seedsbelize2 07-15-22 06:33 AM

Wordle. 0/6

rjones28 07-15-22 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22575152)
Todays group ride in Charlotte was intense. No matter how strong I get, there’s always more riders to make me feel weak. Anyways, the group was good, super fast. I’m not familiar with the route so at times a pack would break away. I’m like a dog chasing a car and everytime I would chase them down worried that this would be where I got dropped. Well those efforts blew me up pretty bad. Once I realized they were just sprinting at random spots and regrouping I started to hang in the back. 15 miles in the pace line really started to form. I had been behind this guy who had been at the back the whole time and it was his turn to pull. He dialed it up and I made the mistake of following. We were doing like 34 mph, I don’t have a HRM but I am sure I was redlined. We get to a roundabout and he peels off, on the other side is a hill. My turn to pull and I knew I was in a bad spot. Blew up instantly and the pack flew by me. I was pretty angry with myself. Some others were dropped as well so we got together and made it to where the rest of the group was stopped. We regrouped and they split the pack. It was my choice on who to go with so I chose the faster group. Was able to hang until the last spring. I didn’t know it was the end of the ride or I would have made a better attempt to stay with them. It was an awesome ride. Hope to do it one more time before I leave Charlotte. Riding in the morning def, affect me but I felt pretty strong over all. I really wish I had a power meter and a hrm, I’m pretty positive my FTP would have increased as well as my VO2 max.

tl;dr

datlas 07-15-22 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22575298)
cool story bro

fixed for snark

njlonghorn 07-15-22 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22562589)
I’ve started seeing adult lantern flies from my office window. I’ll bet they will be all over the place in the next couple of weeks. That’s when the killing fun will start.

Killing SLFs sounds to me like "The avalanche is coming. Quick, link arms!!!"

WhyFi 07-15-22 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by njlonghorn (Post 22575368)
"The avalanche is coming. Quick, link arms!!!"

This just reminded me of a video that I saw the other day -

indyfabz 07-15-22 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by njlonghorn (Post 22575368)
Killing SLFs sounds to me like "The avalanche is coming. Quick, link arms!!!"

I made my first adult kill just after I left work yesterday. Our building and the one across the street are one of the epicenters in center city Philadelphia. There is a large plaza with numerous trees and other plants behind the building across the street. At the height of their presence I can make the 3/4 block walk through the plaza to a c-store and usually stomp a dozen or more if I want to. Both buildings are managed by the same company. When they first became a problem a few years ago building management sent out a communication urging people to stomp them.

big john 07-15-22 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22575329)
fixed for snark

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...14/604/558.jpg

indyfabz 07-15-22 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22575371)
This just reminded me of a video that I saw the other day -

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MtXBhi54HAg

Glacier N.P. in 2019. I have ridden up that climb 4 times.

genejockey 07-15-22 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22575152)
Todays group ride in Charlotte was intense. No matter how strong I get, there’s always more riders to make me feel weak. Anyways, the group was good, super fast. I’m not familiar with the route so at times a pack would break away. I’m like a dog chasing a car and everytime I would chase them down worried that this would be where I got dropped. Well those efforts blew me up pretty bad. Once I realized they were just sprinting at random spots and regrouping I started to hang in the back. 15 miles in the pace line really started to form. I had been behind this guy who had been at the back the whole time and it was his turn to pull. He dialed it up and I made the mistake of following. We were doing like 34 mph, I don’t have a HRM but I am sure I was redlined. We get to a roundabout and he peels off, on the other side is a hill. My turn to pull and I knew I was in a bad spot. Blew up instantly and the pack flew by me. I was pretty angry with myself. Some others were dropped as well so we got together and made it to where the rest of the group was stopped. We regrouped and they split the pack. It was my choice on who to go with so I chose the faster group. Was able to hang until the last spring. I didn’t know it was the end of the ride or I would have made a better attempt to stay with them. It was an awesome ride. Hope to do it one more time before I leave Charlotte. Riding in the morning def, affect me but I felt pretty strong over all. I really wish I had a power meter and a hrm, I’m pretty positive my FTP would have increased as well as my VO2 max.

Now you know how Pogačar felt on the Galibier.

datlas 07-15-22 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22575376)
I made my first adult kill just after I left work yesterday. Our building and the one across the street are one of the epicenters in center city Philadelphia. There is a large plaza with numerous trees and other plants behind the building across the street. At the height of their presence I can make the 3/4 block walk through the plaza to a c-store and usually stomp a dozen or more if I want to. Both buildings are managed by the same company. When they first became a problem a few years ago building management sent out a communication urging people to stomp them.

I know we are supposed to kill them, but I still feel a little bad about it.

WhyFi 07-15-22 10:40 AM

After spending a not insignificant amount of time looking for the successors to my scratched up Ray-Bans, and not looking forward to the replacement expense, a question worked its way in to my thick noggin - I like the shape and fit of my Ray-Bans, so why not see if replacement lenses are available?

Duurrrr - of course they're available, from third parties on Amazon, and for far less than new glasses.

After spending a not insignificant amount of time looking through the replacement lens options, and just wishing for something close/identical to the stock lenses, a question worked its way in to my thick noggin - does Ray-Ban offer replacement lenses, themselves?

Durrrrr - of course they do, and for only five bucks or so more than the off-brand lenses on Amazon.

Lenses ordered and on the way.

I can have a thick noggin, sometimes.

seedsbelize2 07-15-22 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22575233)
Same here. I usually get within a few hundred bucks. Nice little Christmas present in the last check.

Greek

seedsbelize2 07-15-22 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22575376)

Here they're called kissing, or assassin bugs. I've read that frogs eat the adults. We've had only a single siting so far this year. The frogs continue to roam freely.

Mojo31 07-15-22 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22575600)
After spending a not insignificant amount of time looking for the successors to my scratched up Ray-Bans, and not looking forward to the replacement expense, a question worked its way in to my thick noggin - I like the shape and fit of my Ray-Bans, so why not see if replacement lenses are available?

Duurrrr - of course they're available, from third parties on Amazon, and for far less than new glasses.

After spending a not insignificant amount of time looking through the replacement lens options, and just wishing for something close/identical to the stock lenses, a question worked its way in to my thick noggin - does Ray-Ban offer replacement lenses, themselves?

Durrrrr - of course they do, and for only five bucks or so more than the off-brand lenses on Amazon.

Lenses ordered and on the way.

I can have a thick noggin, sometimes.

Persistent though.

indyfabz 07-15-22 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22575608)
Here they're called kissing, or assassin bugs. I've read that frogs eat the adults. We've had only a single siting so far this year. The frogs continue to roam freely.

I think you are talking about a different species. Spotted Lantern Flies don' sting or bite.

indyfabz 07-15-22 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22575449)
I know we are supposed to kill them, but I still feel a little bad about it.

I don't. Killed a few more while out at lunch today. The smaller adults are quicker. Once they get bigger they are easier to stomp.

Last year the people behind my house got rid of the annoying grape vine that used to drop leaves and stems on my deck. That will help keep down the lantern flies because they like crape vines. A few times I fired up the BBQ grill and some dropped from the leaves. Stephen likes to play with them, but I also had to stop him from trying to eat a couple. He's eaten water bugs inside the house before. My departed boy once swatted a fly on the carpet and promptly ate it. I get flies in my house because the door stays open longer than usual when I bring bikes in and out.

#NoGarage

genejockey 07-15-22 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22575631)
I don't. Killed a few more while out at lunch today. The smaller adults are quicker. Once they get bigger they are easier to stomp.

Last year the people behind my house got rid of the annoying grape vine that used to drop leaves and stems on my deck. That will help keep down the lantern flies because they like crape vines. A few times I fired up the BBQ grill and some dropped from the leaves. Stephen likes to play with them, but I also had to stop him from trying to eat a couple. He's eaten water bugs inside the house before. My departed boy once swatted a fly on the carpet and promptly ate it. I get flies in my house because the door stays open longer than usual when I bring bikes in and out.

#NoGarage

We recently replace the screen door on our back door. Got a dog door in it and everything. But the dogs are convinced they can't go through it, so we end up playing doorman. Mrs. GeneJockey has taken to propping it open, so both the back door and screen door are open for long periods. Luckily, we live in the low-bug Bay Area. If/when we move Back East, that's a habit she'll have to unlearn.

Bah Humbug 07-15-22 11:24 AM

Fun when it goes like this:

Wordle 391 3/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Trsnrtr 07-15-22 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22575624)
I think you are talking about a different species. Spotted Lantern Flies don' sting or bite.

I have no idea what a lantern fly is. :foo:

I checked goggle and still don’t know.

genejockey 07-15-22 11:32 AM

It's just another day
doot doot doo doot-doo doot
It's just another DAAAAY!
Wordle 391 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

t2p 07-15-22 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22575657)
I have no idea what a lantern fly is. :foo:

I checked goggle and still don’t know.

'invasive' insect that damages shrubs, plants, crops, produce, etc

another nasty invasive / parasitic insect that is causing a lot of problems is the woolly adelgid (destroys hemlocks, etc)

terrymorse 07-15-22 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22575647)
We recently replace the screen door on our back door. Got a dog door in it and everything. But the dogs are convinced they can't go through it, so we end up playing doorman. Mrs. GeneJockey has taken to propping it open, so both the back door and screen door are open for long periods. Luckily, we live in the low-bug Bay Area. If/when we move Back East, that's a habit she'll have to unlearn.

Be careful, an open door in the Bay Area is an invitation to rats and mice.

Palo Alto: We were replacing our back door's threshold, which left about a 2-inch gap at the bottom of the door. Soon, we had a rat scurrying around our living room.

At my sister's house in Napa, they keep the back door ajar for their golden retriever. They are now finding mice poop all over the house.