Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Bah Humbug 07-19-22 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22580327)
I’ve never been to the opera in my life. I got the final Jeopardy! question after seeing only the category, which was Opera. Lost count of how many times I’ve done that. At least a half dozen. The answer was:

Done it a few times, but not as many as you. Nice.

Bah Humbug 07-19-22 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22579739)
Biodefense is now a conspiracy to enrich Tony Fauci and Big Pharma, manipulate people's DNA, inject microchips and enslave the population!

Every company with a countermeasure thinks their thing is gonna happen before Xmas and they can't all be right. In my time downtown I sat through lots commercial presentations and fielded inquiries from congresspeople who had been convinced by their entrepreneurial constituents that this or that was a huge lacuna in the national defense.

Bot is a high consequence, but vanishingly low probability, scenario. No need for a bad guy to invest millions of dollars in a dicey R & D program that would be beyond the capabilities of anyone but a fully industrialized state with a substantial research base. An efficient attack with an off-the-shelf nerve agent on a civilian population could produce thousands of critically ill casualties and occupy every vent in a large city plus the entire capacity of the Strategic National Stockpile if there were even a way to get it there in time. And even that's a very low probability event. I can't share what the high probability stuff is (or rather was), beyond blowing **** up and shooting people, but it's pretty mundane and not what most people think.

Every company in every industry thinks their product will be out by Christmas.

However, you are the first person I have ever seen - including books I have read - using "lacuna" in any manner other than the technical aspect in the examination of ancient documents, even though I of course know the (slightly more) colloquial definition as well.

Bah Humbug 07-19-22 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22580246)
Hot off the presses, shot this guy yesterday.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...57c61a29d4.jpg

So much better than birds. That's a beaut.

seedsbelize2 07-19-22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22580334)

However, you are the first person I have ever seen - including books I have read - using "lacuna" in any manner other than the technical aspect in the examination of ancient documents, even though I of course know the (slightly more) colloquial definition as well.

I only know it from the barbara Kingsolver book.

indyfabz 07-19-22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22580331)
Done it a few times, but not as many as you. Nice.

First time was in the late 90s. The category was Textbooks. In hindsight, that was an easy one. How many notable textbooks are there?

Bah Humbug 07-19-22 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22580400)
First time was in the late 90s. The category was Textbooks. In hindsight, that was an easy one. How many notable textbooks are there?

Grey's Anatomy?

Bah Humbug 07-19-22 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22580425)
Grey's Anatomy?

I of course mean "What is Grey's Anatomy?".

BillyD 07-19-22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22580273)
Zebra? Or tiger?

Tigers are yellow, zebras are white.

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22580326)
The president of one of the clubs I ride with raises butterflies. Here is one of her babies.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...kw&oe=62DCA5FC

Awesome. So important to help those guys.

genejockey 07-19-22 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22580327)
I’ve never been to the opera in my life. I got the final Jeopardy! question after seeing only the category, which was Opera. Lost count of how many times I’ve done that. At least a half dozen. The answer was:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1d09e2e7f.jpeg

What is...

seedsbelize2 07-19-22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22580470)
Tigers are yellow, zebras are white.

And therein lies the rub. I can't tell.

indyfabz 07-20-22 03:58 AM

Something out of almost nothing.

Wordle 396 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

MoAlpha 07-20-22 04:14 AM

My HRV app says, “Not today, Charlie!” and I agree.

MoAlpha 07-20-22 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22580334)

Didn’t think it was that exotic. In neurology, we have “lacunar” infarcts and, of course, we use “lagoon,” “lake,” and “lack.”

datlas 07-20-22 05:03 AM

Getting ready for the weekly Wednesday ride. It looks to be a hot and humid affair.

Bah Humbug 07-20-22 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22580735)
Didn’t think it was that exotic. In neurology, we have “lacunar” infarcts and, of course, we use “lagoon,” “lake,” and “lack.”

And "lough", and "lock", and "Lancelot du...". I still didn't encounter "lacuna" until the band Lacuna Coil, and I'm about the nerdliest nerd around.

seedsbelize2 07-20-22 05:43 AM

Wordle 6/6

WhyFi 07-20-22 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22580765)
Getting ready for the weekly Wednesday ride. It looks to be a hot and humid affair.

My CAT2 seasonal neighbor is in town, and he brought his road bike. Because of schedules, this morning is the only time that we can ride together, so I can't turn that down.

Tonight is also my group's Wed Night Ride, and it's the last group ride for one of the guys (he's moving to NZ), so I can't turn that down, either.

I'm going to try to keep it to a nice café pace with my neighbor, in the hopes of still having matches to burn for the group ride, but I might be good and cooked by the end of the night.

Mojo31 07-20-22 06:22 AM

Oh my.

Wordle 396 X/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩

ls01 07-20-22 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22579875)
Is that the electric wench talking??

shocking

Trsnrtr 07-20-22 06:48 AM

Wordle 396 4/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bah Humbug 07-20-22 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22580815)
Oh my.

Wordle 396 X/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩

I was having no part of that.

Wordle 396 5/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

t2p 07-20-22 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22580244)
I used to always say the climbing rides were easier than the fast rides because when climbing all day I would just settle in to my pace and the faster people would wait anyway. On the faster rides with less climbing I would be at redline the whole time trying to limit losses and not get totally dropped.

the fast rides were especially a challenge for me - I would be at max and still struggle to stay with the group

at the time I was lean and climbed well - but if I was beat down I would then often also struggle on the significant climbs

not my fav type of riding - I preferred the casual / distance type ride - but on occasion did those rides during the weekdays with my 'younger' bike friends

(I knew what I was getting into when I would join the rides - as many of the guys were preparing to do races etc)

t2p 07-20-22 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22580236)
I used to feel that way. Not that anything less was too easy, that can be remedied by chasing fast people. But I always enjoyed those long climbing rides. There is a route we did quite often in the summer which was 80 miles and about 8K feet. Traffic was light or non existent when the road was gated and most of the route is above 5000 foot elevation. Those were the days.

we did two different 100 mile rides with some significant climbing ... apparently around 8K + elevation

rural areas - mostly farm country

those were my favs

we followed routes that at one time were used for organized rides ... (did those also) ... interestingly - 10 years ago or so ? - the organized rides altered the routes and dropped the major climbs

big john 07-20-22 08:55 AM

Wordle 396 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

rjones28 07-20-22 09:06 AM

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6g&oe=62DC3C1A