Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Bah Humbug 10-10-22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22674311)
I get the Columbus Day thing - sorta / kinda - but where does it end ?

What about all the Carnegie halls and libraries ? Andrew Carnegie was terrible

Henry Frick was terrible

and so were many more like them

For one, if you endow a building/ library/ school/ whatever, that is objectively a different scenario from Columbus Day. Have you seen the whole history of it? It's not even a century old, was certainly not funded by the man, and unlike the counter-examples is not a public good in itself. Deciding to lionize a terrible historical figure because a then-marginalized group felt it was a great way to build awareness is an easily-corrected mistake. We should do that.

genejockey 10-10-22 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22674326)
What was that outage all about?? Someone accidentally pulled out a plug at HQ?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0027453085.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 10-10-22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22674341)
Is that tea made with cow's milk?? Or 50/50 tea/milk??

Standard milk tea I get at the Vietnamese places is black tea with milk, served on ice.

This milk tea has all kinds of other stuff in it. Some kind of funky Asian molasses, crunchy sweet bits of something, boba, leechee chunks I think, whipped cream...

Eric F 10-10-22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22674351)
Did you swap in a different wheel?

Not yet. This is my only Campy bike, but I should be able to drop a Shimano wheel in and get the chain aligned well enough to verify if it's hub or BB related. Good suggestion.

Bah Humbug 10-10-22 01:36 PM

Coincidentally enough, speaking of annoying noises, one good thing is that the kids out back who were the biggest driver of me hating this house have just... stopped. When the weather started turning warm back in Feb/ Mar I was worried they'd start coming out again before it got hot, and they did. Once. Either most of it was pandemic home-schooling cabin fever or they aged up to where it's no longer fun horse playing with your brother in the back yard. They're still there, as I see them occasionally walking to school while I'm coming back from my run, but I literally never see them in the yard anymore, or playing outside. It has been a whole lot more livable here than it seemed it would be a year ago.

Now excuse me while I go tap out a rhythm on my butcher block.

primov8 10-10-22 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22674328)
I dunno, either. That's the problem. I'm a decent bike mechanic, and there are few tasks that I can't handle myself. This one has me stumped.

The noise only happens when the pedals are turning. It's baffling. I'm not even sure I can describe the sound in words. It's not typical at all. I'm 98.3% sure it's something related to the rear hub/freewheel/cassette. That said, I'm probably going to take a close look a the cranks and BB next.

Check the derailleur hanger bolts and see if they’ve loosened up.

Trsnrtr 10-10-22 01:49 PM

Against doctor's orders, I did a 36 mile ride with my wife after my 22nd eye penetration/molestation.

My wife didn’t want me to go but the weather is great and the rest of the week looks pretty poor so I dug out the darkest sunglasses with the most protection that I could find and went out. Gorgeous day for a ride.

LesterOfPuppets 10-10-22 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22674378)
Against doctor's orders, I did a 36 mile ride with my wife after my 22nd eye penetration/molestation.

My wife didn’t want me to go but the weather is great and the rest of the week looks pretty poor so I dug out the darkest sunglasses with the most protection that I could find and went out. Gorgeous day for a ride.

I'd probably be rockin' some MX or ski goggles

big john 10-10-22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22674363)
Not yet. This is my only Campy bike, but I should be able to drop a Shimano wheel in and get the chain aligned well enough to verify if it's hub or BB related. Good suggestion.

I put my 10s Campagnolo wheel on my 10s Shimano bike because I wanted the lowest gear I could get for a trip. It worked in certain gears but was noisy in others. Worked fine in the big cog but I broke the freehub body before the trip. Luckily a guy sold me a Shimano cassette cheap with a big enough cookie for the Eastern Sierra trip.

phrantic09 10-10-22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22674364)
Coincidentally enough, speaking of annoying noises, one good thing is that the kids out back who were the biggest driver of me hating this house have just... stopped. When the weather started turning warm back in Feb/ Mar I was worried they'd start coming out again before it got hot, and they did. Once. Either most of it was pandemic home-schooling cabin fever or they aged up to where it's no longer fun horse playing with your brother in the back yard. They're still there, as I see them occasionally walking to school while I'm coming back from my run, but I literally never see them in the yard anymore, or playing outside. It has been a whole lot more livable here than it seemed it would be a year ago.

Now excuse me while I go tap out a rhythm on my butcher block.

Were they doing something obnoxious while outside playing?

Bah Humbug 10-10-22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22674412)
Were they doing something obnoxious while outside playing?

Screaming. Near-constantly, in the sense of "off and on every few minutes" not "literally every second" while horse playing with each other. From 4pm when I was trying to unwind after work until dark or after, with a brief break for dinner. Yes, this meant until 830pm on some days of not being able to relax in the living room without frequent high-pitched interruptions. Or the bedroom. Every weekday and sometimes on weekends, for months. Through fancy variable-thickness windows.

If you're wondering whether I'm enough of a grouch to care about the existence of children playing outside, no, of course not. They were really, really loud.

phrantic09 10-10-22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22674443)
Screaming. Near-constantly, in the sense of "off and on every few minutes" not "literally every second" while horse playing with each other. From 4pm when I was trying to unwind after work until dark or after, with a brief break for dinner. Yes, this meant until 830pm on some days of not being able to relax in the living room without frequent high-pitched interruptions. Or the bedroom. Every weekday and sometimes on weekends, for months. Through fancy variable-thickness windows.

If you're wondering whether I'm enough of a grouch to care about the existence of children playing outside, no, of course not. They were really, really loud.

I’d be irritated AF by that. That’s one thing I like about having trees and not neighbors behind me.

Eric F 10-10-22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22674404)
I put my 10s Campagnolo wheel on my 10s Shimano bike because I wanted the lowest gear I could get for a trip. It worked in certain gears but was noisy in others. Worked fine in the big cog but I broke the freehub body before the trip. Luckily a guy sold me a Shimano cassette cheap with a big enough cookie for the Eastern Sierra trip.

I have Shimano 9s and 10s wheels on hand, but my Campy wheel is 11s. Sticking a Shimano wheel in, and dialing the derailleur adjustment for just 1 gear will at least help me narrow the possibilities.

rjones28 10-10-22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22674328)
I dunno, either. That's the problem. I'm a decent bike mechanic, and there are few tasks that I can't handle myself. This one has me stumped.

The noise only happens when the pedals are turning. It's baffling. I'm not even sure I can describe the sound in words. It's not typical at all. I'm 98.3% sure it's something related to the rear hub/freewheel/cassette. That said, I'm probably going to take a close look a the cranks and BB next.

Do you have a different rear wheel you can swap in to see if the noise stays or goes?

Eric F 10-10-22 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22674469)
Do you have a different rear wheel you can swap in to see if the noise stays or goes?

Per my comments with Big John above, I'll be giving that a try tonight.

Bah Humbug 10-10-22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22674448)
I’d be irritated AF by that. That’s one thing I like about having trees and not neighbors behind me.

Yes, it is much or most of the reason I hate this house. It's still too small, but very much livable now. I just don't want to be in Texas.

It is also a legitimately sad situation, because the older boy (two boys with a girl between, by age) has a look to his movements that I've only seen with ADHD kids, which must have been miserable during homeschooling if that's the case. And they're likely low-income for the neighborhood; they drive a Mazda5 which isn't bad in abstract but usually an odd car like that isn't anyone's first choice. Their garage door doesn't work, and the yard is literally just dirt. Not even grass. I'd have been happy to give them an Xbox or a pile of Lego boxes, or both, if that would help keep them occupied, but it of course went very sideways the one time I tried to talk to them.

Now, the dad does throw Frisbees into a net. I know that's what it's for because I saw it last year, but even though the net went up this year (it's orange and VERY visible if you look out the back window, lest anyone think this is me being the nosy neighbor) I haven't seen it in use. No skin off my nose; happy as it is. Hoping we and the world can just get through the next 6-8 months and get gone.

MoAlpha 10-10-22 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22674378)

You WHAT? Right after a molestation?

seedsbelize2 10-10-22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22674326)
What was that outage all about?? Someone accidentally pulled out a plug at HQ?

I thought it was my computer

seedsbelize2 10-10-22 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22674363)

While you're at it, you could try it without a wheel at all.
Or without a chain. My bikes have SunTour open cage derailleurs on them so no chain breaking involved. What a great design that was.

datlas 10-10-22 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22674538)

With penetration??

Reported

genejockey 10-10-22 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22674448)

That was one advantage of the back end of our yard when it was all crapped up - privacy. Now it's been cleared, and so have the neighbors' yards, and I can see them sometimes. Luckily, though our yard is flat, theirs are quite steep, so there's not much reason for them to be out there.

As we look at houses, I'm seeing a wide variety of possibilities as far as yards go. If you want "walkable", you're not going to get much yard. If you want a yard, you might have to either give up on walkable or stretch the definition. Oh, and they have an ENTIRELY different definition of "bikeable" - they mean biking to destinations like work or shopping. I mean getting out on the road for 20-60 miles where there are trees and not so damn many cars. I think this may become a bone of contention at some point.

datlas 10-10-22 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22674548)
I thought it was my computer

Not this time. I confirmed the whole site was down. Prolly only for 30-40 minutes or so.

Trsnrtr 10-10-22 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22674538)

Shhh...

Trsnrtr 10-10-22 04:45 PM

If I wake up tomorrow with my eye all red and swollen shut, you medical guys can say, "Told you so, Stupid."

Seriously, I'm about ready to tell my doc that I'm done with the injections. He said that my eye has reached a point where the injections aren't making my eyesight better but only to keep the swelling stable. I asked him about stopping and he said it was my choice and then confused me with some medical mumbo jumbo that I couldn't follow but it sounded like if I stopped with the injections that my body would try to "fix" the situation (Tributary retinal vein occlusion, bilateral, with macular edema) by itself and make things worse. :wtf:

Whatever...

BillyD 10-10-22 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22674301)
. . . . no good will come of challenging their perceptions.

I experience that reality all the time with my wife. :roflmao2:

BillyD 10-10-22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22674582)
If I wake up tomorrow with my eye all red and swollen shut, you medical guys can say, "Told you so, Stupid."

Seriously, I'm about ready to tell my doc that I'm done with the injections. He said that my eye has reached a point where the injections aren't making my eyesight better but only to keep the swelling stable. I asked him about stopping and he said it was my choice and then confused me with some medical mumbo jumbo that I couldn't follow but it sounded like if I stopped with the injections that my body would try to "fix" the situation (Tributary retinal vein occlusion, bilateral, with macular edema) by itself and make things worse. :wtf:

Whatever...

:(

BillyD 10-10-22 05:04 PM

Alright, that’s enough for this one.