Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

diphthong 12-18-20 06:20 PM

local 40-spot.

joesch 12-18-20 07:29 PM

30 and 2 hours today. More exploring of Temecula as I check out the Pechanga area and then upto some of the wineries up Anza.

Troul 12-18-20 07:34 PM

55 miles on the trainer.

rsbob 12-18-20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by gringomojado (Post 19077993)
Mine's longer than your's thread?

Boy did you ever nail it!

But mine was shorter than probably everyone else’s today. I’m not proud ;).

15 miles with 1495’ climbing in 50* temp with sunshine. How I love my visits to CA.

joesch 12-19-20 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 21839177)
55 miles on the trainer.

Ofcourse technically you did not ride / move anywhere except for inplace :)

diphthong 12-19-20 07:48 PM

34-spot about an hour north of san diego. perfect fall day on the '85 steel pinarello.

Troul 12-19-20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by joesch (Post 21839635)
Ofcourse technically you did not ride / move anywhere except for inplace :)

If I were in place on the trainer, that changes the ERD & static miles. Just normal on trainer miles based on the common algorithm.

rsbob 12-19-20 09:28 PM

Mines still getting shorter than yours. (yes it is still a competition) 12 miles and 950’ climbing, 58*and sunny. Talking mother out of hospice really took a bite out of my ride time. She plans to live many more months now which is good news.

joesch 12-19-20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 21840451)
34-spot about an hour north of san diego. perfect fall day on the '85 steel pinarello.

I would have loved to see you riding that 85 pinarello.
Where were you at ?
Probably not too far from Temecula?
Im thinking about taking out my 83 Colnago Super tomorrow.

diphthong 12-19-20 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by joesch (Post 21840636)
I would have loved to see you riding that 85 pinarello.
Where were you at ?
Probably not too far from Temecula?
Im thinking about taking out my 83 Colnago Super tomorrow.

joesch...

if i'm riding farther than 30 mins from home or doing anything other than the usual local san diego 20-spot, i'll post it in the
"where did you ride in southern california today?" thread in the southern california regional discussions.
that's where i posted the main ride/info today. i was indeed in your neck of the woods-temecula (old town), de luz, fallbrook and
rainbow in a 34 mile loop. if i'm just puttering around locally in san diego, i'll post the mileage and maybe incidentals in this thread.

take out the colnago. how long has it been? just slapped some '23 conti gp5000's on the pinarello and it's like a new bike. all i've
been riding...until tomorrow. southern half of sandia creek road up in de luz is awesome right now. recommend hitting it heading south towards
fallbrook vs north from fallbrook due to a really stiff(er) grade (vs the opposite direction). that plus you're on the creek side of the road
the last few miles before the road climbs out up to fallbrook.

i only saw three other cyclists today.

joesch 12-20-20 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 21840658)
joesch...

if i'm riding farther than 30 mins from home or doing anything other than the usual local san diego 20-spot, i'll post it in the
"where did you ride in southern california today?" thread in the southern california regional discussions.
that's where i posted the main ride/info today. i was indeed in your neck of the woods-temecula (old town), de luz, fallbrook and
rainbow in a 34 mile loop. if i'm just puttering around locally in san diego, i'll post the mileage and maybe incidentals in this thread.

take out the colnago. how long has it been? just slapped some '23 conti gp5000's on the pinarello and it's like a new bike. all i've
been riding...until tomorrow. southern half of sandia creek road up in de luz is awesome right now. recommend hitting it heading south towards
fallbrook vs north from fallbrook due to a really stiff(er) grade (vs the opposite direction). that plus you're on the creek side of the road
the last few miles before the road climbs out up to fallbrook.

i only saw three other cyclists today.

With you on your postings.
These first few days back in SoCal and getting use to the hills and new area, I have been riding the Cervelo as its a lighter climbing machine. Need to give Super a checkup and shakedown test. It should be riding fine as I usually cleanup and maintain after rides. Will checkout your recommendation on the above ride suggestion. Besides checking out S.Temecula and the valley I thought about heading SW on 79 to Vail Lake and without a bike lane and the traffic I did a 180 back to the wineries. Fast passing traffic without a wide shoulder scares me.

one4smoke 12-20-20 01:02 PM

30.30 on a cold, wet day. Still FUN!

Troul 12-20-20 07:26 PM

44 miles hamster style on the trainer.

diphthong 12-20-20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by joesch (Post 21840930)
With you on your postings.
These first few days back in SoCal and getting use to the hills and new area, I have been riding the Cervelo as its a lighter climbing machine. Need to give Super a checkup and shakedown test. It should be riding fine as I usually cleanup and maintain after rides. Will checkout your recommendation on the above ride suggestion. Besides checking out S.Temecula and the valley I thought about heading SW on 79 to Vail Lake and without a bike lane and the traffic I did a 180 back to the wineries. Fast passing traffic without a wide shoulder scares me.

before you tackle the de luz area, I'd screenshot a few "map" pictures of the de luz area to keep yourself appraised of the many roads. some go through. most are dead-ends/turn into dirt.
there is very little cell service in the area so if you can't pull up google maps, etc...you can always look at the pics and expand them to figure out where to go. i would also spend a solid
10-15 mins memorizing the main through roads to save yourself potential hassle. most new areas, you can wing it based on traffic, signage, long distance views...this is not one of those areas.
it's super easy to get turned around and lose your bearings in there.

yah...the 79 from anza rd (stoplight) east all the way to aguanga (15 miles?) is verboten. zero shoulder along with fast traffic and lots of it. plenty of impatient drivers on their way to/from palm desert/indio.

rsbob 12-20-20 09:36 PM

3 miles. 1.5 out to discover tire cord showing and 1.5 back. A perfect day! Sure was exhausting.

joesch 12-21-20 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 21841734)
before you tackle the de luz area, I'd screenshot a few "map" pictures of the de luz area to keep yourself appraised of the many roads. some go through. most are dead-ends/turn into dirt.
there is very little cell service in the area so if you can't pull up google maps, etc...you can always look at the pics and expand them to figure out where to go. i would also spend a solid
10-15 mins memorizing the main through roads to save yourself potential hassle. most new areas, you can wing it based on traffic, signage, long distance views...this is not one of those areas.
it's super easy to get turned around and lose your bearings in there.

yah...the 79 from anza rd (stoplight) east all the way to aguanga (15 miles?) is verboten. zero shoulder along with fast traffic and lots of it. plenty of impatient drivers on their way to/from palm desert/indio.

Good advice that I appreciate.
Areas without reliable cell connection and easy to lose bearings are really a challenge.
Deluz sounds really interesting and I will try to tackle later than sooner in my explorations of this area.

ultrarider7 12-21-20 11:23 AM

50 miles on Sunday on a great December 20 day! Not normal for Minneapolis.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4e65d0aead.jpg
https://www.strava.com/activities/4497874760

one4smoke 12-21-20 09:37 PM

65 miles on a windy day heading out (headwind), and would've been alright if I'd had the tailwind coming back. But none to speak of after dark. Go figure. :rolleyes:

diphthong 12-21-20 09:44 PM

52-spot locally. 74 degrees along the coast here in san diego. ridiculous but i'll take it.

rsbob 12-21-20 11:36 PM

Swapped tires from Gatorskins to Conti 5000s and rode the same climb I did two days ago and set 3 PRs without even trying. If I had been putting out the same energy as with the Gatorskins, I would have really smashed the previous ride. And the conditions were identical but this time I had more miles beforehand. I am sold on these tires.

26 miles, 1,700’ climbing.

diphthong 12-22-20 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 21843464)
Swapped tires from Gatorskins to Conti 5000s and rode the same climb I did two days ago and set 3 PRs without even trying. If I had been putting out the same energy as with the Gatorskins, I would have really smashed the previous ride. And the conditions were identical but this time I had more miles beforehand. I am sold on these tires.

totally. threw another set about 10 days ago on my oldest and slowest steel bike and that's all I've been riding since the change.
first pair went on a vintage steel covid build in late may. still on that bike with 2,600+ miles logged and looking good. have resisted
the many temptations to take these tires on a short dirt/gravel path here and there and that's likely helped. have ridden the michelin pro series
(various ones) over the years as my pricey tires and still like the michelin pro 4's or whatever they're called these days. looking to pick up
another pair of conti gp5k's tho just to have in stock when i need 'em or do a new build.

rsbob 12-22-20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 21843477)
totally. threw another set about 10 days ago on my oldest and slowest steel bike and that's all I've been riding since the change.
first pair went on a vintage steel covid build in late may. still on that bike with 2,600+ miles logged and looking good. have resisted
the many temptations to take these tires on a short dirt/gravel path here and there and that's likely helped. have ridden the michelin pro series
(various ones) over the years as my pricey tires and still like the michelin pro 4's or whatever they're called these days. looking to pick up
another pair of conti gp5k's tho just to have in stock when i need 'em or do a new build.

I have another set of tubeless 5000 on my new bike (above is on my vintage steel) and I ride them on trails quite a bit. They are rail/trail conversions but have done a couple of forest roads with them and they work fine.

joesch 12-22-20 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 21843464)

Agree that Conti's out perform Gatorskins, which are better for sloppy conditions training and gravel rides.
Maybe better choice for Eroica California?
I was entered for the cancelled 2020 and hope that 2021 can be safely held?
ref: https://eroica.cc/en/california

joesch 12-22-20 08:54 AM

Did not get out early due to projects at home and working on a bike.
Did still manage to do about 30 on the nice bike trail in Oceanside along the 76.
Was a beautiful beach day and sunset and not too busy at that north coast area.

JDandy 12-22-20 01:23 PM

14.2 easy miles in 36F temperature. I'm just easing into building a winter base after a planned 3-week break. I am hoping to ride more this winter than I have in the past - either riding in the cold (which I don't like to do) or on the trainer (which I also don't like to do :)) in an effort to be fit for long rides when the weather turns nice again.