Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 07-30-20 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21614832)
Thanks - I don't really have much of a frame of reference, so it is what it is. I know my w/kg isn't special, but I don't live in an area where that's too much of a hindrance. I've always felt like I have decent short-term power, but I feel like I'm starting to stretch that out that duration. Also, huge difference that I felt last night was just being able to repeatedly go back to the well for harder efforts. It was nice to think, "that hurt. Let's do it again."

Oh, and it was also gratifying to have one slightly miffed teammate say, "you're not supposed to come back lighter AND stronger - that's not fair." :D

Yeah, the W/kg is strictly recreational at this point, but what impresses me is that huge, long, ramp and the big acute and chronic loads you're carrying. I am no expert, but I think that suggests potential.

WhyFi 07-30-20 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21614849)
... that huge, long, ramp and the big acute and chronic loads you're carrying. I am no expert, but I think that suggests potential.

Yeah, this kind of load new territory for me and I'm a little surprised that I seem to be handling it well. Prior to this stretch, I've only had two 200-mile weeks and those hurt plenty. I'm sure that not being young and oblivious to my body helps; rest, nutrition and stretching/massage are all improved.

BillyD 07-30-20 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21614671)
Yep, sounds familiar. My biggest problem is cutting tools, knives, saws, chainsaws...- :innocent:

We know.

seedsbelize 07-30-20 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21614690)
It seems I'm the only one who truly appreciates how dumb bicycles are.

I go to a website or mechanical video tutorial to learn how to fix something. Then look at my bicycle.

"wut my bike doesn't look anything like that"

Why not? It's a simple machine. You push the pedal and it turns the wheel. But all these Big Bike companies have to come up with something cute to make their product "special."

SMH

I couldn't agree more

BillyD 07-30-20 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21614310)
wut

Your trainspotting seems to have fallen off a cliff since you moved to the desert. Sad.

It's too hot to be standing in the sun watching some damn choo choo crawling along.

seedsbelize 07-30-20 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21614845)
Just had a little jolt. Woke up to a small earthquake at 4:30 so this jolt may have been an aftershock of that. A 70 year old house makes a lot of noise during an earthquake, I've learned.

I woke up to one in a cheap hotel(solid stone and concrete) in Antigua Guatemala many years ago. It sounded, and felt like a freight train had crashed into the footers, underground. That street filled with people in a flash!

MoAlpha 07-30-20 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21614872)
Yeah, this kind of load new territory for me and I'm a little surprised that I seem to be handling it well. Prior to this stretch, I've only had two 200-mile weeks and those hurt plenty. I'm sure that not being young and oblivious to my body helps; rest, nutrition and stretching/massage are all improved.

If and when you find your limit, you'll know it.

I have one severe overtraining experience: Summer before senior year of college at the height of the LSD training craze, a bunch of us knuckleheads on the X-C team committed to working up to a 100 mi /wk just prior to return to school and tapering to the first race. It was late August when the crash came and it was weeks before I could climb stairs without my heart going bonkers and my vision swimming and, of course, my season was gone.

seedsbelize 07-30-20 08:34 AM

And now it's time to HTFU

WhyFi 07-30-20 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21614906)

I have one severe overtraining experience: Summer before senior year of college at the height of the LSD training craze, a bunch of us knuckleheads on the X-C team committed to working up to a 100 mi /wk just prior to return to school and tapering to the first race. It was late August when the crash came and it was weeks before I could climb stairs without my heart going bonkers and my vision swimming and, of course, my season was gone.

As my daughter would say, "yikes!"

100 mi/wk running seems nuts.

MoAlpha 07-30-20 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21614938)

In my case it was. The better protoplasm on the team tolerated it fine.

MoAlpha 07-30-20 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21614907)
And now it's time tho HTFU

Words to live by.

indyfabz 07-30-20 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21613703)
Oh Yeah, I've been looking at more footage and leading up to the through-truss section from the north it looks like all timber trestle.

Just talked to an engineer here. He said there are at least timber approaches. He also said there was a derailment on that bridge a month ago.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ge/5539140002/

big john 07-30-20 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21614901)
I woke up to one in a cheap hotel(solid stone and concrete) in Antigua Guatemala many years ago. It sounded, and felt like a freight train had crashed into the footers, underground. That street filled with people in a flash!

My first earthquake experience was the 1971 Sylmar quake, a 6.9 with lots of damage. One of the casualties was the VA hospital in Sylmar, which was leveled. Rather than rebuild it the fed gave the land to the county which made it into a beautiful park. The border fence to that park is 5 houses away from where I live now, oddly.

big john 07-30-20 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21614938)

One of my friends in the bike club 30 years ago was married to a guy who ran 135 miles a week. He was competitive at half marathons but got shinsplints and had to stop running. She gave him one of her road bikes and he had the tremendous engine but no skills. After several crashes and a tbi he quit riding.

LAJ 07-30-20 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21615022)
My first earthquake experience was the 1971 Sylmar quake, a 6.9 with lots of damage. One of the casualties was the VA hospital in Sylmar, which was leveled. Rather than rebuild it the fed gave the land to the county which made it into a beautiful park. The border fence to that park is 5 houses away from where I live now, oddly.

We got back from Scotland the night before, and woke up to that the next morning. I can't remember where we were that day, but we ended up living right down the street from South Coast Plaza.

LAJ 07-30-20 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21614906)

Overtraining takes a while to overcome, especially if you're in the upper middle age cat. You must have really piled it on to wipe yourself out as a yute.

MoAlpha 07-30-20 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21615068)
Overtraining takes a while to overcome, especially if you're in the upper middle age cat. You must have really piled it on to wipe yourself out as a yute.

It was insane. In the height of a NY summer, I was running from home in Manhattan, over the Brooklyn Bridge, around Prospect Park, and back. It all felt great for a while... As I implied, I was a soft and puny youth and others did just fine.

Thinking back, not only was it as though my heart was failing, but my legs got so stiff I could only hobble a bit when I tried to run. Probably took years off my life. :cry:

phrantic09 07-30-20 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21614809)
Oh, yeah. You gotta baby that thing for a while and get a professional opinion.

Its strange, because it feels fine while riding. Going to give it some time and see what happens. The only reason I haven’t gone to a doc is that I have a moderate degree of distrust of orthopedic docs. Cutters want to cut. (Sorry to any orthos that read this thread!)

WhyFi 07-30-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21615097)
It was insane. In the height of a NY summer, I was running from home in Manhattan, over the Brooklyn Bridge, around Prospect Park, and back.

That sounds like a nice bike ride. It also sounds like a dumb run.

WhyFi 07-30-20 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21615101)
Its strange, because it feels fine while riding. Going to give it some time and see what happens. The only reason I haven’t gone to a doc is that I have a moderate degree of distrust of orthopedic docs. Cutters want to cut. (Sorry to any orthos that read this thread!)

In what way is it hurting? And this was after the cleat/pedal change?

phrantic09 07-30-20 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21615117)
In what way is it hurting? And this was after the cleat/pedal change?

It started with some occasional soreness after the pedal + cleat change along with a hot spot once in a while on the bottom of my left foot.

It’s pain on the inside of the knee almost on the kneecap, mostly when I walk the past couple of days. It’s irritating the **** out of me, mostly because I want to ride.

LAJ 07-30-20 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21615113)

Worth repeating.

MoAlpha 07-30-20 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21615101)

I know what you mean, but that situation has gotten better as more of them have gone to salaried positions. ;)

MoAlpha 07-30-20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21615129)
It started with some occasional soreness after the pedal + cleat change along with a hot spot once in a while on the bottom of my left foot.

It’s pain on the inside of the knee almost on the kneecap, mostly when I walk the past couple of days. It’s irritating the **** out of me, mostly because I want to ride.

How is it going down stairs?

MoAlpha 07-30-20 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21615113)

It's actually a great run, just not more than once a week!