Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

bampilot06 09-02-21 05:43 PM

For you indoor trainer guys and gals.

Is the kickr core pro worth the extra cost over the kickr core?
Looks like a sturdier base, and can handle more watts than my massive legs can put out as of now.

bampilot06 09-02-21 05:45 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22212346)
This is my biggest stumbling block/objection to climbing (other than being a fat ass) - I feel like I should be moving along at a decent clip with FTP-ish efforts, so to be crawling along offends my sensibilities.

That said, I've never endured a "real" climb, and I'm sure that I would feel some sense of satisfaction upon cresting after a long effort.


whyfi doesnít simply crawl up ďhillsĒ. Instead his speed increases as he go up leaving me huffing it everytime.

bampilot06 09-02-21 05:47 PM

When it comes to hills, I canít seem to find the balance between gear, effort, and maintaining speed.

I either shift too much so my legs are spinning and my speed drops off, or I donít shift enough and by the time I realize it my cadence has slowed dramatically and iím white knuckling it.

genejockey 09-02-21 05:56 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22212585)
For you indoor trainer guys and gals.

Is the kickr core pro worth the extra cost over the kickr core?
Looks like a sturdier base, and can handle more watts than my massive legs can put out as of now.

Never heard of a 'Core Pro', and Wahoo's site shows the Kickr (top of the line), the Kickr Core (simpler base), and the Kickr Snap (wheel on trainer, the one I have)

genejockey 09-02-21 05:58 PM

As I understand it, the Kickr's advantage over the Core includes folding into a smaller space, and you can get squishy feet that allow you to rock the bike a bit for sprinting and such.

datlas 09-02-21 05:59 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212602)
Never heard of a 'Core Pro', and Wahoo's site shows the Kickr (top of the line), the Kickr Core (simpler base), and the Kickr Snap (wheel on trainer, the one I have)

Ditto

bampilot06 09-02-21 06:02 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212608)
As I understand it, the Kickr's advantage over the Core includes folding into a smaller space, and you can get squishy feet that allow you to rock the bike a bit for sprinting and such.


But as far as longevity and what Iím going to use it for the middle one is probably fine. Just donít want to buy something and find out A. after two seasons it broke, B. doesnít have the capabilities that I may find I need later.

bampilot06 09-02-21 06:05 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a1cba8978b.png


I thought I read Pro somewhere, but this is way I was referring to as the Kickr core pro.

Trsnrtr 09-02-21 06:11 PM

A month or so ago, there was a 20 or 25% off sale and I bought a new Kickr. My 2016 Kickr screams like a banshee over 30 mph on downhills and it worries me that it might blow up. My new one is waaaaaaay quieter.

My wife rides the trainer daily in the winter and she's already claimed the new one, of course. :rolleyes:

genejockey 09-02-21 06:12 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22212615)
But as far as longevity and what Iím going to use it for the middle one is probably fine. Just donít want to buy something and find out A. after two seasons it broke, B. doesnít have the capabilities that I may find I need later.

I've got a Snap, and it works well for me, apart from the decorative chevrons on the flywheel coming off. If I'd had a bit more money I'd have bought the Core, or even the Kickr itself. It's my first Smart trainer, so I can't really compare it with anything, but it's SO MUCH BETTER than a dumb trainer! Combined with Zwift, it's made my indoor training not only bearable, but actually enjoyable enough that I rode through the whole winter for the first time ever last year.

datlas 09-02-21 06:13 PM

If you want exhaustive details on the trainers you can read dcrainmaker’s write ups.

genejockey 09-02-21 06:15 PM

BTW, a quick look at Craigs List suggests that the trainers everyone bought last year might be starting to leak out onto the market as people discover they didn't really use them. If I followed the Theory of Compensatory Cashflow, I'd have almost $800 that I didn't spend on that Litespeed frame to spend on one of those used Kickrs!

Mojo31 09-02-21 06:15 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22212615)
But as far as longevity and what Iím going to use it for the middle one is probably fine. Just donít want to buy something and find out A. after two seasons it broke, B. doesnít have the capabilities that I may find I need later.


Youre ballin now. - get the Kickr Bike.

WhyFi 09-02-21 06:16 PM

Grrrr. LPLO.

genejockey 09-02-21 06:16 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22212630)
If you want exhaustiveing details on the trainers you can read dcrainmakerís write ups.

ftfy

genejockey 09-02-21 06:17 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22212634)
Youre ballin now. - get the Kickr Bike.

Don't listen to us. You'll have spent 3 x your bonus.

big john 09-02-21 06:18 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22212591)
When it comes to hills, I can’t seem to find the balance between gear, effort, and maintaining speed.

I either shift too much so my legs are spinning and my speed drops off, or I don’t shift enough and by the time I realize it my cadence has slowed dramatically and i’m white knuckling it.

It just takes time to figure it out. It's good to spin and I recommend spinning when you can but some people just climb better when mashing.
I've always been a perceived effort rider, (no electronics) and I try to settle in to a comfortable pace for long climbs. If it gets to the point I'm just grinding my lowest gear, that's one thing, but I try to keep a reasonable cadence, maybe 80, sometimes slower.

You could try a thing called breathplay. You count your breaths against your cadence, or any measurement of distance. It helps.

Mojo31 09-02-21 06:19 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22212507)
Oh, everything is a-okay - some of us are still young enough to have libidos. ;)

One is never too old! The chase never ends.

Its just not as pretty.

big john 09-02-21 06:21 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212633)
BTW, a quick look at Craigs List suggests that the trainers everyone bought last year might be starting to leak out onto the market as people discover they didn't really use them. If I followed the Theory of Compensatory Cashflow, I'd have almost $800 that I didn't spend on that Litespeed frame to spend on one of those used Kickrs!

It's funny, the creative ways addicts find to justify their habit.

DougRNS 09-02-21 06:21 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e633e6c2c7.jpg

Mojo31 09-02-21 06:21 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212641)
Don't listen to us. You'll have spent 3 x your bonus.

Is that a problem?

Seriously though, by the time you pay for a smart trainer and bike for it, you’re almost there. Plus, it’s such a cool machine. The only thing I don’t like is the bar tape. And, the cleats will cut the floor mat, but that’s true for all of them.

genejockey 09-02-21 06:21 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22212645)
One is never too old! The chase never ends.

Its just not as pretty.

That's the thing - the CHASE never ends. Chases are SUPPOSED TO end.

genejockey 09-02-21 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22212649)
Is that a problem?

Well....not for US. For him, OTOH......

genejockey 09-02-21 06:25 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22212647)
It's funny, the creative ways addicts find to justify their habit.

Hey, I can quit whenever I want to!!!

Mojo31 09-02-21 06:27 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212651)
That's the thing - the CHASE never ends. Chases are SUPPOSED TO end.

Well, I may just be lucky, but it does end on birthdays and the anniversary. But, then it just starts again.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.