Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

Velo Vol 07-13-21 10:06 AM

I bet this tastes great on your pies.

datlas 07-13-21 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22139898)
On my 30th day without caffeine and no alcohol.
First 2 weeks without coffee was the worst time in my life. Coffee is the toughest habit to kick both mentally and physically. Anyone else?

I don't drink alcohol, well maybe one drink per quarter. I do drink coffee. I suppose I could stop but why?

LAJ 07-13-21 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22139932)
Huge migraines, flu-like symptoms, extremely irritable. I've been drinking it for almost 40 years daily. Coffee has been the toughest to stop. These symptoms could also be because I quit drinking alcohol at the same time.

Now, I feel more awake and refreshed in the morning and don't think about drinking coffee. All of this started with a weekly 36 hour fast.

Interesting. I'm glad it's helping you out.

sshakari 07-13-21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22140011)
I don't drink alcohol, well maybe one drink per quarter. I do drink coffee. I suppose I could stop but why?

I stopped coffee for physical reasons (headache, migrane, poor sleep etc) & also wanted to give my liver a break.

datlas 07-13-21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22140027)
I stopped coffee for physical reasons (headache, migrane, poor sleep etc) & also wanted to give my liver a break.

That's your choice, but fairly good (but observational) evidence says coffee is good for your health and no good evidence of harm. Not so with alcohol.

rjones28 07-13-21 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22139974)
I bet this tastes great on your pies.

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status...55087286386701

No

sshakari 07-13-21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22140029)
That's your choice, but fairly good (but observational) evidence says coffee is good for your health and no good evidence of harm. Not so with alcohol.

indeed!
For me, when I fast its only water for the entire time. Im working up to 7 day fast in the next 3-4 months. Quitting coffee earlier is better as I would not have withdrawals during my fast.

WhyFi 07-13-21 11:06 AM

I rarely feel like I *need* coffee, though I have an espresso drink or two every day. If I did feel the need, I might be more wary of it.

My wife, though? Yeah, she gets the headaches without her morning dose. Not much of a morning person.

Velo Vol 07-13-21 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22140029)

If that.

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22140046)
Im working up to 7 day fast in the next 3-4 months.

Why?

datlas 07-13-21 11:10 AM

I got through 80-100 hour work-weeks during residency purely on stress, no coffee.

I now do notice a little lift/boost from my coffee which I only started drinking maybe 10 years ago.

Bah Humbug 07-13-21 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22139898)
On my 30th day without caffeine and no alcohol.
First 2 weeks without coffee was the worst time in my life. Coffee is the toughest habit to kick both mentally and physically. Anyone else?

There is no way I’d give up my morning coffee. One super-strong cup in the morning is essential. Slipping alcohol is fine.

sshakari 07-13-21 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22140054)
If that.

Why?

Physical and spiritual. I started fasting in my 20s for mental clarity. I have some bad genes - type 2 diabetes (Im prediabetic no matter what my diet is like), immune disorders etc... Fasting really lowers my blood sugar and supports other inflammatory benefits when in autophagy. I am also able to exercise while fasting, not at 100%

here are the stages of fasting:
The six stages of fasting:
Stage 1: 8-14 hours
• Stable blood sugar levels
• Using up stored sugar and sugar in the blood
• At 10 hours—the muscles use about 50% glucose and 50% fat (you’re starting to transition to fat-burning)

Stage 2: 14-24 hours
• Starting to get into ketosis
• Fewer cravings
• More energy
• Improved mood
• Improved cognitive function

Stage 3: 24-36 hours
• Full ketosis and fat burning
• The liver is making ketones
• Decreased appetite
• Decreased ghrelin
• Increased BDNF (new brain cells)

Stage 4: 36-48 hours
• Autophagy
• Kill cancer cells
• Decreased oxidative stress
• Decreased misfolded proteins
• Increased memory

Stage 5: 48-60 hours
• Insulin sensitivity super boost
• More autophagy
• Less inflammation
• Atrophy healing
• Protein sparing

Stage 6: 60-72 hours
• Immune system regeneration
• Spike in immune stem cells

Trsnrtr 07-13-21 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22140049)
I rarely feel like I *need* coffee, though I have an espresso drink or two every day.

Only one or two a day? :eek:

I’m pulling a double as I write just to face mowing the lawn. :twitchy:

sshakari 07-13-21 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22140072)

:lol: you don't have a lawn mower?

Trsnrtr 07-13-21 11:34 AM

I talked to my doc several years ago about my severe coffee habit. I do occasionally get palpitations and I’ll back it off for a day or two until they quit but it takes a lot of coffee to get to that point.

Anyway, he thinks that I’m fine with it and as a caffeine addict, know better than anyone how to manage my intake and my excess.

WhyFi 07-13-21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22140072)

The average is probably much closer to two than one ;) Recently, I've been making an iced drink with espresso, oat milk and a bit o' maple syrup. Damn - so good!

Oh, and in terms of coffee crap, I'm seriously considering a new grinder. There's a Chinese jobber out there that's being marketed under various names, and it looks quite promising, but I'm also waiting on reviews from a new Eureka that'll be hitting the market in Aug. Both are single dose grinders, which appeals to me in a few ways.

Trsnrtr 07-13-21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22140078)
:lol: you don't have a lawn mower?

I have an excellent mower and like all sharp things, I’m an expert. :thumb:

Trsnrtr 07-13-21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22140083)
The average is probably much closer to two than one ;) Recently, I've been making an iced drink with espresso, oat milk and a bit o' maple syrup. Damn - so good!

Oh, and in terms of coffee crap, I'm seriously considering a new grinder. There's a Chinese jobber out there that's being marketed under various names, and it looks quite promising, but I'm also waiting on reviews from a new Eureka that'll be hitting the market in Aug. Both are single dose grinders, which appeals to me in a few ways.

Cool! Let me know how it works out. I recently made a WDT from acupuncture needles to break up lumps from my Rocky that I use with decaf beans. Works great, almost better than my Sette.

Velo Vol 07-13-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22140038)
No

It's no less appealing than blackberry pie. Which is to say, not at all.

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22140064)
Physical and spiritual. I started fasting in my 20s for mental clarity. I have some bad genes - type 2 diabetes (Im prediabetic no matter what my diet is like), immune disorders etc... Fasting really lowers my blood sugar and supports other inflammatory benefits when in autophagy. I am also able to exercise while fasting, not at 100%

I get maybe doing it for a day or two, to clear out/rest your GI. But beyond that I'm skeptical the pros outweigh the cons. Why would it boost your immune "stem cells," whatever that means?

sshakari 07-13-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22140085)
I have an excellent mower and like all sharp things, I’m an expert. :thumb:

knives?

sshakari 07-13-21 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22140100)
It's no less appealing than blackberry pie. Which is to say, not at all.

I get maybe doing it for a day or two, to clear out/rest your GI. But beyond that I'm skeptical the pros outweigh the cons. Why would it boost your immune system?

you can do some research online how fasting "boosts" the immune system. You can also check some of Dr. Bergs vids https://www.youtube.com/c/DrEricBergDC/videos

WhyFi 07-13-21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22140090)
Cool! Let me know how it works out. I recently made a WDT from acupuncture needles to break up lumps from my Rocky that I use with decaf beans. Works great, almost better than my Sette.

Where'd you get the needles? I've got a poor man's WDT, but the needles that I have aren't long enough - they're either too thick or not long enough.

WhyFi 07-13-21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22140102)
knives?

Kitchen?

ksryder 07-13-21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22140083)

My coffee snobbishness and my cheap bastard-ness are always fighting. I like good beans from the local co-op and I've settled on a French Press as my method of choice in the morning (right balance between convenience and quality for me) but I made do with a sub-par grinder for years because I just couldn't bring myself to spring for the more well-regarded burr grinders.

Anyway someone gifted me a Cuisinart automatic electric burr grinder a few years ago with adjustable amounts and grind levels and if I ever get divorced it's the only thing I'm taking with me. (I'm kidding, I'll take the dogs too. Plus all the bikes. But other than that...)

datlas 07-13-21 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 22140133)
My coffee snobbishness and my cheap bastard-ness are always fighting. I like good beans from the local co-op and I've settled on a French Press as my method of choice in the morning (right balance between convenience and quality for me) but I made do with a sub-par grinder for years because I just couldn't bring myself to spring for the more well-regarded burr grinders.

Anyway someone gifted me a Cuisinart automatic electric burr grinder a few years ago with adjustable amounts and grind levels and if I ever get divorced it's the only thing I'm taking with me. (I'm kidding, I'll take the dogs too. Plus all the bikes. But other than that...)

Another French Press fan here. The quality is quite good but the hassle factor is medium to high. On days that I am busy/working I wimp out and drink drip. On non-work days we use the French Press.