Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

genejockey 07-13-21 01:12 PM

BITD, the company Dad worked for used to do all sorts of pie fillings that seem to have been discontinued. Raisin and mincemeat, I can sort of understand, though I love both (especially mincemeat), but I was surprised they no longer make pumpkin pie filling. It was basically pumpkin, cooked and pre-spiced. Just add eggs and milk. But I don't see it on their website. :(

sshakari 07-13-21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22140239)
I’m intimately familiar with most sharp objects.

I love sharp objects as well, not a knife maker.

genejockey 07-13-21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22140246)
July dream vacation destination of the day: Le Grimsel, Switzerland
https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...1b&oe=60F3761C

This Spring and Summer here in the inner Bay Area has been uncommonly cool and windy. The heat wave that we were supposed to get at least some of this weekend kinda fizzled, and most evenings have been much too cool and windy to even think about dining outside. But I find I don't mind that so much, because the more days of cool and windy we have, the less it dries out the fuel.

sshakari 07-13-21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22140119)
Kitchen?

Kitchen, folders, fixed blade. Most of all I love Japanese kitchen knives.

Trsnrtr 07-13-21 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22140257)
I love sharp objects as well, not a knife maker.

I’m more of a sharpness tester. :innocent:

datlas 07-13-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22140250)
I like my coffee hot, like brew temp hot and that’s what I dislike about a FP; temp is too low by the time it’s done. I have slightly better luck with an aero press which I use often in the evenings. During the day, it’s espresso, only..

Trick is pour boiling water into FP to pre-heat it immediately before use. That is part of the preferred technique. It will be plenty hot IMO.

WhyFi 07-13-21 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22140277)
Kitchen, folders, fixed blade. Most of all I love Japanese kitchen knives.

I have a couple and am always looking at more, though I don't have a "need" for one. Primary knife is a 240 Yoshikane SKD gyuto and I also have a 180 Mazaki W2 petty that sees a lot of use. The maker that I've been looking at lately is Takada no Hamono, maybe another gyuto or maybe a nakiri.

sshakari 07-13-21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22140300)
I have a couple and am always looking at more, though I don't have a "need" for one. Primary knife is a 240 Yoshikane SKD gyuto and I also have a 180 Mazaki W2 petty that sees a lot of use. The maker that I've been looking at lately is Takada no Hamono, maybe another gyuto or maybe a nakiri.

Great! I love Takeda AS knives, which he makes now only as a custom. I also love the work of Hiromoto also an AS knife maker but retired now.
Sample of some of my kitchen knives & few Takeda folders.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dfafff2fb4.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d4e5fa34ca.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2bf48ce958.jpg

rjones28 07-13-21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22140154)
Because it's dumb.
That's more up rjones28's alley. And he might be able to smuggle it across the border.

I already have a Jeep.

gnome 07-13-21 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22140085)
I have an excellent mower and like all sharp things, I’m an expert. :thumb:

:lol::innocent:

big john 07-13-21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22139898)
On my 30th day without caffeine and no alcohol.
First 2 weeks without coffee was the worst time in my life. Coffee is the toughest habit to kick both mentally and physically. Anyone else?

The toughest to quit is nicotine, at least for me. I have an addictive personality, or so they tell me. Total alcoholic, black out every night, etc. Quitting alcohol was tough, I was very irritable and the craving was strong, but I was very sick from it including bleeding internally. I felt it was quit or die, not to mention the intense pain in my stomach. I think the worst part was thinking I could never have a drink again.

I had to quit caffeine for a month once due to doctor's orders. It was a little rough, headaches, irritability. Not such a huge problem.

Cigarettes, another story. That stuff messes with your brain, makes you not think right. I swear I considered driving into a concrete abutment on the freeway, it was that crazy. I tried the patch, no good. I switched to chewing tobacco and back to cigars and snuff and chew and eventually got away from it. Nicotine is pure evil, the hardest thing I've had to quit.

indyfabz 07-13-21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22140183)
I used aeropress for camping and a manual grinder. That way I used to get the best gourmet coffee.

I mostly bike camp. Grinder is not in the weight budget.

sshakari 07-13-21 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22140452)
The toughest to quit is nicotine, at least for me. I have an addictive personality, or so they tell me. Total alcoholic, black out every night, etc. Quitting alcohol was tough, I was very irritable and the craving was strong, but I was very sick from it including bleeding internally. I felt it was quit or die, not to mention the intense pain in my stomach. I think the worst part was thinking I could never have a drink again.

I had to quit caffeine for a month once due to doctor's orders. It was a little rough, headaches, irritability. Not such a huge problem.

Cigarettes, another story. That stuff messes with your brain, makes you not think right. I swear I considered driving into a concrete abutment on the freeway, it was that crazy. I tried the patch, no good. I switched to chewing tobacco and back to cigars and snuff and chew and eventually got away from it. Nicotine is pure evil, the hardest thing I've had to quit.

I hear you John! I've quit just about everything cigs, alcohol, food, drugs etc... coffee has been the toughest for me. Im going to get back to coffee just not daily.

sshakari 07-13-21 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22140467)
I mostly bike camp. Grinder is not in the weight budget.

right on... never bike camped.
I need the grinder for a gourmet cup. I never liked preground coffee beans and prefer instant if I cant have a grinder.

Velo Vol 07-13-21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22140246)
July dream vacation destination of the day: Le Grimsel, Switzerland

No.

Velo Vol 07-13-21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22140251)
BITD, the company Dad worked for used to do all sorts of pie fillings that seem to have been discontinued. Raisin and mincemeat, I can sort of understand, though I love both (especially mincemeat), but I was surprised they no longer make pumpkin pie filling. It was basically pumpkin, cooked and pre-spiced. Just add eggs and milk. But I don't see it on their website. :(

Trsnrtr hoarding the pumpkins, probably.

Velo Vol 07-13-21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22140225)

I had some Kroger applesauce today. Not sure who canned it, but it says product of Canada, so not them.

Do you know the apple ratio used in the sauce? Or was that secret information?

genejockey 07-13-21 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22140540)
I had some Kroger applesauce today. Not sure who canned it, but it says product of Canada, so not them.

Do you know the apple ratio used in the sauce? Or was that secret information?

Not a clue. I do know they use a mix of apples, and probably prefer the ones that last well in cold storage, because they make applesauce from fresh apples all year round, not just when the apples are ripe. By contrast, for other fillings like cherry they'd also use frozen fruit outside the 3-week window when they're ripe.

Velo Vol 07-13-21 05:45 PM

Oof. No Strava because it didn't happen.

Virgin Galactic acknowledges Branson's pre-launch bike ride never happened

Representatives of Trek were not immediately available to comment on the matter.
LOL

Velo Vol 07-13-21 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22140550)
Not a clue. I do know they use a mix of apples, and probably prefer the ones that last well in cold storage, because they make applesauce from fresh apples all year round, not just when the apples are ripe. By contrast, for other fillings like cherry they'd also use frozen fruit outside the 3-week window when they're ripe.

You must not have watched the Mister Rogers video! :o

It said the plant deliberately used different types of apples because they have different characteristics (taste, texture, etc.)

WhyFi 07-13-21 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22140553)
You must not have watched the Mister Rogers video! :o

It said the plant deliberately used different types of apples because they have different characteristics (taste, texture, etc.)

My daughter watched that episode yesterday. I saw that part.

Trsnrtr 07-13-21 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22140514)
Trsnrtr hoarding the pumpkins, probably.

BTW, the pumpkin vines are starting to blossom. I’ll take a pic in a week or so.

Velo Vol 07-13-21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22140563)
BTW, the pumpkin vines are starting to blossom. I’ll take a pic in a week or so.

Autumn is all but here. :(

Velo Vol 07-13-21 06:51 PM

Job opening alert!

big john 07-13-21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22140571)
Autumn is all but here. :(

We had cloud cover on our ride today and it was only 82 when we finished. It was awesome! I'm sure there are many days over 100 in the coming months.