Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

datlas 02-03-22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22397532)
:roflmao:

You know how I feel about the censor filter. Glad I can make you laugh.

big john 02-03-22 01:00 PM

Around 1994 a group of us went to Northern California to do day rides from a motel and pig out and sit in the sauna at night. One day it rained so we drove to the Jelly Belly factory for a tour. They fed us Jelly Bellys throughout the tour.
Official Factory Tours (jellybelly.com)

BillyD 02-03-22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22397540)
You know how I feel about the censor filter. Glad I can make you laugh.

I’m sorry doc, I just find it terribly amusing that you let the filter, which serves an obviously good purpose, annoy you because you can’t use an “obscure” word now and then. I mean, your station in life is far more lofty than this simpleass filter. :lol:​​​​​​​

LAJ 02-03-22 01:07 PM

The Coors Tour gives out beer. The sad part? Coors beer.

datlas 02-03-22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22397560)
I’m sorry doc, I just find it terribly amusing that you let the filter, which serves an obviously good purpose, annoy you because you can’t use an “obscure” word now and then. I mean, your station in life is far more lofty than this simpleass filter. :lol:

It's ok. For whatever reason, it does rub my fur the wrong way. I am trying to come to peace with it. Work in progress.

BillyD 02-03-22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22397564)
It's ok. For whatever reason, it does rub my fur the wrong way. I am trying to come to peace with it. Work in progress.

That’s the spirit. Just remind yourself that years ago some of our more boorish fellow posters gave them no choice but to curtail their language. Just think, they now call these people the Greatest Generation.

indyfabz 02-03-22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22397463)
Thank you for the helpful tip to locate Philadelphia.
Velo Vol ancestors lived in Luzerne County for over 100 years, until my grandfather left there, as a ute.

PA has 67 counties. I have ridden my bike in a majority of them. Without counting, I'd estimate at least 40 of them.

big john 02-03-22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22397563)
The Coors Tour gives out beer. The sad part? Coors beer.

When Busch Gardens was open here they had 5 pavilions, 1 for each flavor of their beer, and you could get 2 free beers from each pavilion. Down a 6 pack on the way there and I was pretty butt-faced after the freebies.

indyfabz 02-03-22 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22397509)
edit: fun fact, the stupid censor won't let me use the 3 letter word, starting with c and ending with m, that means "combined with" because it's stupid.

I graduated law school with laude.

And for a couple of years my school bus out the 'burbs used to pass close to the Tasty Kake bakery in Hunting Park. Our mouths use to water.

big john 02-03-22 01:35 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...322c8116ff.jpg

Velo Vol 02-03-22 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22397587)
PA has 67 counties. I have ridden my bike in a majority of them. Without counting, I'd estimate at least 40 of them.

I've only ridden in about 15 TN counties. Sad.

bampilot06 02-03-22 01:42 PM

Space Jam is a great movie, I forgot how awesome the 90s was.

indyfabz 02-03-22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22397611)
I forgot how awesome the 90s was.

The 90s were very very good to me. In '99 I started my two years off from the working world with a bike ride across the country and then some. Earlier in the decade was a lot of fun as well.

Trsnrtr 02-03-22 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22397243)
That system that hit the midwest is coming….

You’re welcome.

Velo Vol 02-03-22 02:02 PM

In sailing news, :bday:

MoAlpha 02-03-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22397536)
I was looking though an email from some cycling apparel manufacturer or another and briefly got excited about sale on some winter boots before coming to my senses and getting real with myself. I haven't been out on the ice yet this year and probably won't unless my trainer ***** the bed.

I've had the same thought. Pactimo has their best winter long tights at 50% off, but nah.

This year, when the temps started getting down into the upper 40s, I found that if I dressed so that I was comfortable for the first hour or so, I got progressively cold after that, even when going hard, and by the time I got home from a two hr ride, I was pretty unhappy. I am scared of hypothermia, which I have had in the past and is just one mechanical away in this weather, and I took it as nature's of saying, "fake miles for you, old man."

Velo Vol 02-03-22 02:14 PM

MOTD

3 February 22

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8f9272cbbd.png

datlas 02-03-22 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22397658)

My PA County map was not adequate?!?

Trsnrtr 02-03-22 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22397469)
Fun fact: we lived in Dauphin County for 3 years when I did my medical residency at Hershey Medical Center.

Fun fact: My first American ancestor lived in Dauphin County and Berks County.

Oh, and I was at the Hershey factory and the Wilbur chocolate factory in 2017 while on a tandem tour.

genejockey 02-03-22 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22397592)
When Busch Gardens was open here they had 5 pavilions, 1 for each flavor of their beer, and you could get 2 free beers from each pavilion. Down a 6 pack on the way there and I was pretty butt-faced after the freebies.

Decades ago, Anchor Brewery in SF used to do tours, and then a tasting at the end. The tasting was open ended, meaning they didn't limit you. But the most interesting thing was that the workers were allowed to drink during their shifts. So while we were sitting there, at least two workers came in, filled substantial mugs, and went back to work.

The other thing they said was that the workers get to take home bottles that failed QC for things like folded or smudged labels, etc. and that there was a rise in the stringency of that QC step as the weekend approached.

Velo Vol 02-03-22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22397669)
My PA County map was not adequate?!?

Honourable mention.

Trakhak 02-03-22 03:16 PM

Somewhere upthread, "is" in Velo Vol's post "Neither is social media" was (well-meaningly, I imagine) corrected by someone to "are."

Correcting that correction: "is" was correct.

"Neither is" can stand as a complete sentence, as in "Neither [this nor that] is." Plurality neither present nor possible.

The original sentence, with the implicit meaning made explicit, would be "Neither is an example of social media."

One of my favorite Ring Lardner quotes: "But that's either here or there."

Eric F 02-03-22 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22397658)

Occasionally, I find your MOTDs interesting. This is one of them.

Velo Vol 02-03-22 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 22397727)
Correcting that correction: "is" was correct.

Correct.

big john 02-03-22 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22397679)
Decades ago, Anchor Brewery in SF used to do tours, and then a tasting at the end. The tasting was open ended, meaning they didn't limit you. But the most interesting thing was that the workers were allowed to drink during their shifts. So while we were sitting there, at least two workers came in, filled substantial mugs, and went back to work.

The other thing they said was that the workers get to take home bottles that failed QC for things like folded or smudged labels, etc. and that there was a rise in the stringency of that QC step as the weekend approached.

A friend's father worked at the Schlitz brewery here in Van Nuys. He brought home lots of products and gave me a case of Schlitz Malt Liquor quarts one time. Of course, I felt compelled to drink all of them as quickly as possible, giving myself massive hangovers and gastrointestinal distress for days.

He said they did drink on the job but he was in management of some kind.

Velo Vol 02-03-22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22397641)
You’re welcome.

#Resist

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8f33cace4.jpeg

bampilot06 02-03-22 04:21 PM

was supposed to be sunny and 65 today. Neither of those things happened.

Anybody have experience with time trial bikes? Buy new or used? could I just throw aero bars on the madone?

Coach says my next bike purchase should definitely be a TT bike. I am leaning more towards cycle cross if not the emonda. But I think I will just race the C2 for now. Thinking of use. I don’t see myself riding a TT bike for fun, and I don’t see myself doing more than one TT event. Crits and Road is more what I want to do. I would like to do cycle cross in the fall, plus I can use the cycle cross bike on gravel. Not to mention they are a lot cheaper than a TT bike.

WhyFi 02-03-22 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22397789)
could I just throw aero bars on the madone?

I don’t see myself riding a TT bike for fun, and I don’t see myself doing more than one TT event. Crits and Road is more what I want to do.

They have a bit of a special edition of the Madone for just this use case. The only real difference, as far as I know, is the handle bars - the TT version comes with some bolt-on aero bars. I would imagine that you'd be able to buy them separately.

edit: it's called the Madone Speed. May have been discontinued, but again, look for the bars.

ls01 02-03-22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22396825)
Is it asking too much for people to try to keep up?

yes, I do the best I can.

ls01 02-03-22 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22397082)
I backed the tension off and nothing happened, not really louder or quieter. I notice it jumping while backpedaling. In the biggest cog, it runs smooth pedaling forward but if I back pedal, it drops down 2 cogs and seems to bind a little regardless of tension

check the hanger alignment