Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

genejockey 06-03-22 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22529932)
So helpful

You could be watching amateur musicians in a brass band somewhere.

MoAlpha 06-03-22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22529847)
Only thing worse than that is vocal fry. Or maybe both, combined.

Both annoying. The goal fry thing seems to have abated a bit. My daughter can do it on command along with some other pretty funny exaggerated girl stuff.

rjones28 06-03-22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22529163)

I'm not convinced.

rjones28 06-03-22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22529356)
Build a new house in a grass pasture in the fall and your new house will be mouse-infested. I know.

Describes our first house.

rjones28 06-03-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22529402)
Maybe for the hick mice up in your area. Here, traps work once per season and I can only get our mice to trip it with peanut butter worked into a matrix of cotton fibers. Otherwise, it's just a free snack.

The neighborhood foxes help keep things under control.

Velo Vol 06-03-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22529952)
I'm not convinced.

What would it take to convince you?

rjones28 06-03-22 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22529513)
Not the proper proofing utensil.

Enlighten us.

Velo Vol 06-03-22 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22529965)
What would it take to convince you?

(maybe he'll get to post this by tomorrow morning)

MoAlpha 06-03-22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22529963)
The neighborhood foxes help keep things under control.

We have foxes here too, but the mice has them outnumbered.

genejockey 06-03-22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22529981)

Biologist here - that's how predator/prey numbers generally work out.

;)

Mojo31 06-03-22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22529764)
Nope. Fabulously stretchy - it's just a very clingy look, which requires a whole 'nother level of lack of modesty/self-consciousness.

Well, that depends on if you are pear shaped or inverted pyramid shaped. I know the self-consciousness well. Even still, at my age it’s easy to not give a sh*t, especially compared to a lot of the other old farts out there.

rjones28 06-03-22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22529671)
I used to think that 90% of kitchen gadgets and small appliances were wastes of space and money. I've softened that stance somewhat - I now think that 90% of kitchen gadgets and small appliances are wastes of space and money for 90% of people. If you fall within that 10% though, some of these stupid things can be heaven-sent.

One such stupid thing, at least in western culture, that I've felt myself coming around on is rice cookers. My mom always had one, as all little Asian ladies should, when I was growing up, but I've always thought that they were unnecessary in my own kitchen. Well, I still think they're unnecessary, but I'm starting to feel that one would be really helpful.

There was an uptick in the number of kitchen tools, after our trip to Vermont, but Mrs. rjones28 resisted getting a brotform (rattan). She did, however, buy a lame.

big john 06-03-22 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22529905)
I know that mass-start gravel races are a "no rules, just right" type of event. That said, I saw a video of a recent gravel race (Gravel Locos) and was surprised to see clip-on aero bars on several of the bikes. Don't we think these are unwise for non-time trial, mass start racing? Am I missing something??

I don't know a lot about those events but I would assume organizers can make their own rules if the event isn't sanctioned by a governing body. Competitive "gravel" racing is a fairly new thing. Some of the races have long pavement sections where aero bars could help.

The Unbound event is expecting 4000 participants. The pro purse is supposed to be $250,000. Peter Stetina will be there and he has won some of these things. Sagan seems like he could do well, too, with his amazing skills.

big john 06-03-22 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 22529940)
Good question. Just noticed that Lazyass hasn't posted in a while, too.

Maybe he's just being a lazyass.

Seriously, I know what you mean. Whenever someone drops off I wonder about them.

Mojo31 06-03-22 02:34 PM

Started a ride this afternoon, and a little over 2 miles in started feeling light headed, hot and clammy. Since I’ve been having some BP swings (cardio appt is Wed.), I rode back and called it.

Went bike shopping on the way home though, and got to ride an Emonda Di2 in my size, but it was last years model with 11 speed. Sold on the e-shift! Problem is the new ones are showing December delivery dates. ☹️ The other problem is getting spousal approval. ☹️

rjones28 06-03-22 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22529714)
Last night was the first ride on the Canyon with the new, thread-together BB. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but the bike creaked just the same. :bang:

On the plus side, it's a better BB, and I was going to do something like that anyway. But I should have been a bit less sure I knew what the problem was. Since it was EXACTLY the same creaking noise, I spent more time diagnosing it. It doesn't happen when I'm out of the saddle - AT ALL. It doesn't happen as much when I'm on the saddle working hard, like a seated climb. It happens when I'm pedaling along on the flats, and I can make it better by concentrating on pedaling circles. I thought it might be the bars, but then I tried torquing them up and down, and nothing. My best guess is the seatpost, or rather the seatpost/seat tube interface. So I pulled the post last night, slathered it with the last of the carbon assembly paste from the assembly kit that came with the bike, and carefully torqued it down to the indicated 5 Nm. We'll see. Over the winter, when the bike was on the trainer most of the time, I had lowered the seatpost about 3-4 mm, chasing the elusive Perfect Position, and it's possible I didn't torque the clamp screw enough.

We'll see, and hear, tonight. If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what I'll do next.

Replaced a Praxis pressfit BB on a carbon gravel bike yesterday.

Knocked out old BB
Cleaned BB shell well, finish with acetone
Park AP-1 primer on the BB shell and BB
Park RC-1 retaining compound on the BB
Press in BB

RC-1 Press Fit Retaining Compound | Park Tool

rjones28 06-03-22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22529979)
(maybe he'll get to post this by tomorrow morning)

I don't work on your schedule.

rjones28 06-03-22 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22529981)

No noticeable mouse activity inside Casa de rjones28 this past winter.

genejockey 06-03-22 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22529993)
Started a ride this afternoon, and a little over 2 miles in started feeling light headed, hot and clammy. Since I’ve been having some BP swings (cardio appt is Wed.), I rode back and called it.

Went bike shopping on the way home though, and got to ride an Emonda Di2 in my size, but it was last years model with 11 speed. Sold on the e-shift! Problem is the new ones are showing December delivery dates. ☹️ The other problem is getting spousal approval. ☹️

Heat Syncope? I get that occasionally, the first warm-day ride of the year, if I haven't had a chance to acclimate.

genejockey 06-03-22 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22530001)
Replaced a Praxis pressfit BB on a carbon gravel bike yesterday.

Knocked out old BB
Cleaned BB shell well, finish with acetone
Park AP-1 primer on the BB shell and BB
Park RC-1 retaining compound on the BB
Press in BB

RC-1 Press Fit Retaining Compound | Park Tool

That was basically what LBS suggested, but basically he said, "That CAN work".

But it wasn't the BB anyway. Oh, well.

big john 06-03-22 02:53 PM

I know that mass-start gravel races are a "no rules, just right" type of event. That said, I saw a video of a recent gravel race (Gravel Locos) and was surprised to see clip-on aero bars on several of the bikes. Don't we think these are unwise for non-time trial, mass start racing? Am I missing something??

Found a video of last year's winner of the women's race. She has one of those Colnagos with clip on aero bars.

Mojo31 06-03-22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22530015)
Heat Syncope? I get that occasionally, the first warm-day ride of the year, if I haven't had a chance to acclimate.

I don’t think it’s heat related. It’s only in the low 80s, and I’ve been riding in the 90s pretty regularly. I had an adrenal gland removed a few years ago, and since then I’ve experienced BP drops from time-to-time. They usually come in the evenings, but sometimes in the afternoon.

WhyFi 06-03-22 02:58 PM

It's not uncommon on gravel events around here, particularly the longer ones. Hell, you'll even see 'em on fat bikes. That said, being on the aero bars in proximity to others would probably be frowned upon... but when you're more or less solo for long stretches, go to town.

indyfabz 06-03-22 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22529952)
I'm not convinced.

Only a robot would deny that it is a robot.

WhyFi 06-03-22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22529986)
There was an uptick in the number of kitchen tools, after our trip to Vermont, but Mrs. rjones28 resisted getting a brotform (rattan). She did, however, buy a lame.

I've thought about picking up a lame of some sort, but I have very, very sharp knives that do well enough for now.

Oh, and speaking of kitchen crap - my baking steel just showed up! :bday: