Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

desconhecido 01-16-17 07:26 PM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 19316263)
I was wondering if anyone has converted a Shimano bell crank to fit an S5 S/A axle. The diameter of the S/A axle is larger, but there is not a lot of wall thickness on the Shimano bell crank.

I am also wondering if the Shimano push rod could be a replacement for the S/A (I think the Shimano is a bit longer).

Use of a Shimano bell crank is possible, according to RHM and also according to the BikeSmith guy in Minnesota who sells the cottered crank tools and Raleigh cut cotters. Problem is that there is likely no tap available of the correct size. Not that I've been able to find, anyway. Someone said that Sheldon Brown used an AW axle as a tap.

As for the push rod, apparently a substitute can be fashioned from a proper gauge nail.

I have done neither of the above, just been thinking about it since I bought a 4 speed hub that is convertible to a 5 speed. I'm considering it but want to get the hub into a wheel and try it out as a 4 speed first. edit: My hub is an FG which is a combo of the dynohub and the FW hub

boattail71 01-16-17 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 19307282)
This will get you to there ad for the reflector Spares and Accessories for Roadster Bicycles Raleigh Tourist 28" 635mm at Yellow Jersey Westwood Rims is another keyword Rod brakes British spares Whitworth Phillips Tourist.

It's a strange site with lots of pages that don't look like they've been updated in about 20 years. The whole thing has a sort of "vintage" look to it.

Thanks, Des. Does anyone know what these are like? They look like a great ad-on for bikes missing the originals. Are these reproductions? Or are they just housed reflectors that will suffice?

adventurepdx 01-16-17 09:30 PM


Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 19314006)
It has been a while... nice to see that folks are still here. Pretty soon it will be seven years since post number 1. Dang.

You've created a monster, Keith! :D

Welcome back.

2cam16 01-16-17 09:49 PM


Originally Posted by boattail71 (Post 19317376)
Thanks, Des. Does anyone know what these are like? They look like a great ad-on for bikes missing the originals. Are these reproductions? Or are they just housed reflectors that will suffice?

IMO, I'd look for one with the white housing around the reflector, if that's what was like the original on your bike.

browngw 01-16-17 10:13 PM


Originally Posted by frameteam2003 (Post 19316647)
Sun Trivolux---not all british 3 speeds came in a can
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ps248af2af.jpg


Interesting. Would love to see the rest of the bike. I own a 1958 Sun Cresta with a 5 speed Benelux RD.

BigChief 01-17-17 06:46 AM


Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 19317347)
Use of a Shimano bell crank is possible, according to RHM and also according to the BikeSmith guy in Minnesota who sells the cottered crank tools and Raleigh cut cotters. Problem is that there is likely no tap available of the correct size. Not that I've been able to find, anyway. Someone said that Sheldon Brown used an AW axle as a tap.

As for the push rod, apparently a substitute can be fashioned from a proper gauge nail.

I have done neither of the above, just been thinking about it since I bought a 4 speed hub that is convertible to a 5 speed. I'm considering it but want to get the hub into a wheel and try it out as a 4 speed first. edit: My hub is an FG which is a combo of the dynohub and the FW hub

I think the easiest thing to do would be to chuck the round end of a right side SA axle nut in a lathe and turn the nut side down to a size you could saw off and use as a sleeve. Turn it down to .001 over the hole you drilled and reamed in the Shimano and press it in. A lot of work, but considering the odd thread of the SA axle, the best way I can come up with to fabricate a S5 bell crank.

frameteam2003 01-17-17 08:07 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19317621)
Interesting. Would love to see the rest of the bike. I own a 1958 Sun Cresta with a 5 speed Benelux RD.

The bike is very nice restored 35 sun tandem but what's really cool is seeing a video of it shifting---the cogs slide on the axel and move under the chain. Sorry but posting photos on this site is a PITA for me--I go thro Photobucket to resize and that site is a bigger pita!
Sun is somewhat over looked but made great bikes--and one of the largest makers of tandems frames.

2cam16 01-17-17 04:29 PM

My second English was purchased today for $5. After working on the Huffy, I think I can breeze through this:
http://i68.tinypic.com/11a95l1.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/23jrfxg.jpg

browngw 01-20-17 03:46 PM

1971 Robin Hood "Sports Model"
 
4 Attachment(s)
All the recent chatter about gearing and sprockets got me interested in making some changes to the '71 Robin Hood. It came to me totally original and wearing an 18 tooth cog with a 46T chain ring. After two years of riding I have found the gearing too big for the type of riding done with this bike. I use it for my leisurely nostalgic cruising about bike. I had a 20T in the parts bin, but my LBS which was once a Raleigh dealer had a new 21T which I paid $8.00 for.(that was the original price on the part).
I also replaced the chain with a new KMC. The only difficult part of the job was sizing the chain. Even a 1/2 link was not a help. In the center of the dropouts, I had fender clearance issues with the Schwalbe tires. so I went back to about where it was before and not requiring a 1/2 link as before. No chance to ride it yet due to crappy winter weather but I think it will fine.
While I was at it, I replaced the hard thin white plastic bar tape with something more comfortable if not as period.

3speedslow 01-20-17 04:25 PM

^^^ Pretty as always!

noglider 01-20-17 04:30 PM

What a well preserved specimen that is, @browngw.

BigChief 01-20-17 04:56 PM

I never get tired of seeing this bike. I think you'll be pleased with the mod. I think it gives 3rd a good tempo and cruising speed for this type of bike and it sure is handy to have a choice of lower gears to work with, especially in hilly country. Much more useful than an overdrive

desconhecido 01-20-17 05:37 PM


Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 19319122)
My second English was purchased today for $5. After working on the Huffy, I think I can breeze through this:
http://i68.tinypic.com/11a95l1.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/23jrfxg.jpg

Probably 78 or 79 judging from the brakes and the two-tone paint job. I like the looks of those and for $5 it's a literal steel steal.

desconhecido 01-20-17 05:42 PM

I have a 22t on a 56 Sports with 48t in front. It has a light so I ride it in the middle of the night. The other night I actually got it into 3rd gear for a sustained stretch and was feeling real good about losing weight and getting into shape. Then I turned and fought the headwind all the way home. Oh, well.

2cam16 01-20-17 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 19325587)
Probably 78 or 79 judging from the brakes and the two-tone paint job. I like the looks of those and for $5 it's a literal steel steal.

Thanks and yeah it's a '78. :)

desconhecido 01-20-17 06:45 PM


Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 19325662)
Thanks and yeah it's a '78. :)

Looks like the bike hasn't seen a lot of use. Back in 2014, Bandera had some wryly funny observations to make about the life cycle of many Raleigh Sports bicycles


Here's Timeline of a 1973 Raleigh Sport in the USA

6/15/73 Assembled w/ a sip of SA oil in the hub.

6/16/73 Purchased to "Save Gas" and "Get in Shape"

6/17/73 Ridden down the block in 3rd gear, banished to garage.

6/17/83 Moved to basement.

Yesterday: Advertised on CL as Vintage for 5X original price w/ dry rotten tires, frozen brake cables and a dried up varnish in the hub.

(Most of these machines have more neglect than miles: Caveat Emptor)

-Bandera

gster 01-20-17 06:49 PM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 19325391)
All the recent chatter about gearing and sprockets got me interested in making some changes to the '71 Robin Hood. It came to me totally original and wearing an 18 tooth cog with a 46T chain ring. After two years of riding I have found the gearing too big for the type of riding done with this bike. I use it for my leisurely nostalgic cruising about bike. I had a 20T in the parts bin, but my LBS which was once a Raleigh dealer had a new 21T which I paid $8.00 for.(that was the original price on the part).
I also replaced the chain with a new KMC. The only difficult part of the job was sizing the chain. Even a 1/2 link was not a help. In the center of the dropouts, I had fender clearance issues with the Schwalbe tires. so I went back to about where it was before and not requiring a 1/2 link as before. No chance to ride it yet due to crappy winter weather but I think it will fine.
While I was at it, I replaced the hard thin white plastic bar tape with something more comfortable if not as period.

Good lookin' bike.

2cam16 01-20-17 08:51 PM


Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 19325697)
Looks like the bike hasn't seen a lot of use. Back in 2014, Bandera had some wryly funny observations to make about the life cycle of many Raleigh Sports bicycles

LOL! Good one.
Yeah I haven't had a chance to look it over yet but from what I've seen, looks like it just mostly sat there.

gna 01-22-17 02:41 AM


Originally Posted by desconhecido (Post 19291605)
A quick look at images on the web, and I can't find any Robin Hoods with anything but the "hockey stick" guards. Or guardless, of course. Surely they would not go to the expense of the stylized chain ring just to hide it, would they? All the Raleighs, I think, with the enclosed guards had plain rings.

So, any early Raleigh HS guard should do -- until they introduced the heel grabber.

Hey, looky:
http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...available.html

I love this place. If only searching were easier. Too bad everybody's such a big meanie.

Wow, a blast from the past. Never bothered to paint the chainguard. Sold that bike a couple of years ago. I have a 23" Sports I like better.

Dante41 01-22-17 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bit of a lurker, first time poster. Just assembled an old Dunelt with a 23" frame myself off of eBay for $165. It doesn't have the shifter cable attached yet because Fedex damaged the indicator spindle in transit; the seller said he's sending me a free replacement ASAP.

The most curious thing is that the seller said it was a 1963 model based on the bike license on the seat tube, but it's got a Hercules Type B gearhub instead of a Sturmey-Archer branded one (I know that the Type B was just a licensed copy). With the flattop forks, doesn't that mark it as a pre-Raleigh Dunelt?

Dante41 01-22-17 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dante41 (Post 19328353)
The most curious thing is that the seller said it was a 1963 model based on the bike license on the seat tube, but it's got a Hercules Type B gearhub instead of a Sturmey-Archer branded one (I know that the Type B was just a licensed copy). With the flattop forks, doesn't that mark it as a pre-Raleigh Dunelt?

Broke this into two posts so the pictures don't screw with the formatting.

Dsprok 01-22-17 11:29 AM

Welcome.
More pics Please.

Dante41 01-22-17 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
All I have on hand are of the head badge and of the seat tube/bike license. Is there anything in particular you want to see?

Dante41 01-22-17 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh! And the other side. Forgot I took this one first.

BigChief 01-22-17 01:34 PM

Fine bike, good find. Need more detail, but it is a Raleigh frame and fenders. The grips, clamp on cable roller and guaranteed English lightweight transfer are all consistent with the early 60s. The Herc hub and what appears to be Suresta kickstand are usually associated with Birmingham bikes.

clubman 01-22-17 01:59 PM

Agree with BigChief, it's an odd blend of parts. It looks like a '63 bike but many Dunelts had the 'D' thimbles by then.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3284/3...3fab8bb266.jpg
Your fork crown is definitely the Birmingham style so It's probably old stock forks used by Raleigh. Your head badge is definitely Raleigh period and the rest of the frame fits with that. Either a previous owner made a parts swap or you got a true parts-bin special straight from Nottingham.

Dante41 01-22-17 03:39 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 19328710)
Agree with BigChief, it's an odd blend of parts. It looks like a '63 bike but many Dunelts had the 'D' thimbles by then.

Your fork crown is definitely the Birmingham style so It's probably old stock forks used by Raleigh. Your head badge is definitely Raleigh period and the rest of the frame fits with that. Either a previous owner made a parts swap or you got a true parts-bin special straight from Nottingham.

Fascinating! I had originally pegged as Raleigh-made, but the Hercules hub threw me for a whirl when I saw it, because I didn't think a Raleigh-made Dunelt would have a non-Sturmey Archer hub. It is a Suresta kickstand, so unless a previous owner just liked to use Hercules-only parts, I think it's safe to say Raleigh decided to burn through a bunch of their acquisitions part stock when they made this beauty. It definitely gives it a ton of character!

Piff 01-22-17 05:30 PM

When looking for these on Craigslist, what search keywords do you use?

I've been trying terms like sears, Raleigh, Hercules, 3 speed. How do you all go about finding them?

supton 01-22-17 07:33 PM


Originally Posted by Piff (Post 19329114)
When looking for these on Craigslist, what search keywords do you use?

I've been trying terms like sears, Raleigh, Hercules, 3 speed. How do you all go about finding them?

I usually just look on Craigslist, but NH doesn't have a huge bike page. I'd use the terms you list, and just keep looking.

supton 01-22-17 07:45 PM

Been a while since I've been on here, but I'm still be (occasionally) riding my 1969 Raleigh Sprite. It's supposed to be a 5 speed... and I've just never gotten around to getting both shifters, so it got an AW from a bike that I parted out way back when, and I've just kept riding it, as-is. The rubber block pedals wore alarmingly fast so it got some metal pedals; the Brooks broke right after I bought it so I swapped on a saddle that came with my road bike that I hated (surprise, it works ok here). The bag is a Click-it or somesuch which gets tools and carries a water bottle. Yesterday was the first time it needed a repair; the bearings in the head tube got very sticky. As I wanted to ride the fix was a shot of WD40.

Bought in 2010, it tends to get ridden mostly in not so good weather (the good weather I get out my other bike). Fenders for the win.

Took it out yesterday on a 20 mile ride, as it's middle of winter but warmed up to 40F plus, and I just needed to get out.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2a77qtu.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2nrfpg3.jpg

And yes, I regretted afterwards putting it into the snow, as I was on top of a hill for both pics! At some point I'll get some new pads, I think it still has 1969 pads, front tire etc.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.